Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Dalby forest,hardtail friendly?
  • Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Going to Dalby end of March.Whats the trails like? The full suspension trail bike is out of action.Is it ok for a 80mm travel racing hardtail? Bearing in mind me mates will be on 4-6” travel machines!
    Thanx Max

Richyb
    Free Member

Its fine but you’ll feel pretty beaten up by the end.

neil853
    Free Member

more than do-able but a bit painful

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    igm

About the same speed on my Five or my 456. Less tired by the end on the Five, but probably bigger grins on the 456.

They’ll enjoy that 6 inches of travel on the Adder’s Back climb.

hora
    Free Member

I cant think why not. Although 80mm is quite short. I most definitely wouldnt say you’d be beaten up though and Ive ridden all the blacks including the gully-type descent and the stepdown/turning bit

Richyb
    Free Member

Not talking about the black sections, more some of the general trail surface particularly round the back end. Can’t imagine it being very pleasant on a hardtail.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Dalby ? Hi ermmm……… to be quite frank we ride all the dalby trails on rigid single speeds and whilst your mates are on full susser’s and will have an advantage on the DH sections you will not be far behind and there are several brilliant hard climbs to allow you to watch them struggle anyway. Just do it !!!!!! you might just surprise yourself .

Stumps.

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Its smooth for the most part, i only ride hardtails XC i find them more fun. 80mm may seem small but sometimes i think we get too hung up on hug travel and forget how we ‘ust ride . (fully rigid) .

You’l have a blast and be less knakard at the end ! hardtail all the way.

Iv ridden Dalby for years i grow up round there used to ride it fully ridgid with canti brakes its not as rough as “wild trails” round sheffield.

Pook

bit bumpy but i think it’d be boring on a full susser

firestarter
    Free Member

Ive done the red on my cx was fun but some bits were tricky mainly due to my cantis bein crap. Enjoy

grumm
    Free Member

Hehe – come on, anyone gonna take it to the next level of willy-waving?

‘I did it brakeless and without pedals, on a racer’

toxicsoks
    Free Member

You’ll take a bit of a battering but, hey, isn’t that what riding MTB is about? Even as a, erm, less than skilled rider, I get around Dalby fine on my HT with a 100mm fork. Enjoy.

Wozza
    Free Member

Its easy, I did it on a full suss and a mate on a hardtail and there was bugger all difference.

woody2000

I’ve done it on a saddle-less unicycle, naked and blindfolded. I pwned all the kids in Dixons Hollow too, just for the lulz.

firestarter
    Free Member

Lol not really wavin jus showing it can be done my mate guides for the shop there and he rides a rigid ss or his 80mm hardtail so theres your answer 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

It beats the bejesus out of me on a hardtail so I tend to go for something that bounces at both ends

I’m not aware of any hard climbs on the red route

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Firestarter ? would your mate happen to be Jack from the shop ? Real nice lad and a dam fine rider. Willy waving section….. there is to be an event “SSUK09” where riders will race on rigid single speeds “WOW” how weird is that going to be ?

jim
    Free Member

Assuming they’re still there the sections of trail that closely resemble a 1m pile of hardcore aren’t particularly pleasant on a hardtail.

Otherwise it’s all fine and dandy.

MisterCrud
    Free Member

I rode Dalby full lap a few times on my hardtail recently to get my legs ready for snowboarding….it worked!
    Really toughened up my backside too.

If you go there for fun, just take yr 6 inch bike.

mrsflash
    Free Member

I’ve only ever ridden my hardtail there.

And I haven’t got a willy to wave 😉

ton

i have a big willy and always ride it on a hardtail 😆

Archaic
    Free Member

I’m off there for my first visit on Sunday morning on my hardtail. My mate rides there regularly so it should be all groovy.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Done it on both, twice on the FS & once one the HT. I was a bit fitter both times on the FS. Hadn’t even sat on a bike for 10 weeks then did it on the HT. I was completetely battered after & had an ar$e like a Japanese flag. I’ll either be fit or my bum will be…er, ‘acclimatised’ before I do it on the HT again.
    By the way, there’s no hard climbs on the red run, it’s just 20 miles of bumps.
    It’s good though.

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

Did it recently on a Cove Stiffee. Belterd round and felt a bit beat up but then that’s probably down to the Stiffee frame. Saw plenty folks on 80mm hire bikes doing the red route so I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Dalby forest,hardtail friendly?’ is closed to new replies.