• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Dalby Forest Demo Day – Bike Reviews Galore!
  • rockitman

Went to the Bike Radar Demo Day yesterday over at Dalby. It was my Birthday so I thought I would celebrate by riding some other people’s bikes! Went with an open mind and had some really surprising results:

Bike 1 – Niner – Model: Air 9 (09) Size: LRG

I really wanted to like this bike. I’m 6ft 5″ and probably ideal for a 29er. I like the theory behind it and my next bike will probably be a hardtail so this was a definite contender. First thought was how light it was. Went uphill like a mountain goat and this is the area where I struggle most. The ride was different, more so than I imagined it would be. I guess it will take a bit more than 45 mins of getting used to. Felt really sluggish on the northshore and going through the forest. Lrg was the wrong size, I would need an XL. Jury is still out. Need to try an XL.

Bike 2 – Niner – Model: Jet 9 (09) Size: LRG

Not as good as the hardtail. Didn’t have the nimbleness and the suspension just didn’t seem to be advantageous at all. The same weeknesses as the hardtail and without the nimbleness.

Bike 3 – Trek – Top Fuel (09) Size: 21.5

I have to admit I can be a bit of a brand snob. I was firmly in the “If I’m spending 3 grand on a bike there’s no way I’m buying a Trek” brigade. Well I was wrong. The thing was light as a feather and coming off the 29er’s felt ultraresponsive. The right size for me too. Everything just felt right. A pure race machine 23lbs, Carbon Fibre. Loved it.

Bike 4 – Norco – Model: Fluid LT 3 (08) Size: large

Jesus, this bike was awful. I mean truly awful. Back end weighs a ton, gears, brakes etc feel cheap. Admittedly it was the cheapest bike I rode all day, but I when the guy told me it retailed for £2k I nearly wee’d. Felt much cheaper than that. Stay well clear.

Bike 5 – Santa Cruz – Model: Blur LT (09) Size: XL

When I was buying my my Yeti I seriously considered a Heckler, but looking at the sizing charts the Santa Cruz’s were built much smaller. Never went to ride one at the time so was really curious. I was right. It was too small. Not ‘too small’ like I couldn’t ride it, just ‘too small’ like I wouldn’t want to spend 6 hours on it! Just felt a bit cramped in the cockpit. Nearly crashed as I washed out on a berm which didn’t inspire confidence. Not a bad bike but I didn’t really get what all the fuss is about, not particularly light etc. It was just OK.

Bike 6 – Trek – Session 88

I was curious. Full downhill rig, what’s it like? Awful. I didn’t even like going downhill on it that much. Didn’t do the full loop on it – going uphill is very difficult. It must be a good bike for those who ride downhill but I’m not sure I even know how to ride downhill now! Everything about it felt uncomfortable.

Bike 7 – Bionicon – Model: Supershuttle Size: XLarge 22in

I booked a ride on this as it was the only thing left in this timeslot in my size. Never heard of them before. Front and rear suspension are connected. There’s this button on the bars that if you press and lean forward it shortens the travel on the forks AND steepens the seat tube angle and if pressed and you lean back it does the reverse. Nice idea and it works quite well. German engineering apparently. It was an ugly bike but I liked it. Sizing was perfect – it was the reps bike and he was the same size as me! Would I buy one? Probably not, I like a nice looking bike and this looked a bit like it had been made in a shed, bolted together with more cabling that B&Q. If they could get it a bit more refined it would be great, and again would like to spend a bit longer on it.

Also had a quick blast on a Lapierre Spicy – Really don’t get what all the fuss is about? Marketing hype. It was OK but nothing special at all really. An average bike with really fat tubing.

So, I hoped that I would come away thinking that I’d done the right thing by blowing £3k on my Yeti 575. And I did. I love my bike, it fits me perfectly and is an all purpose machine which is what I need. I’d like to give the 29er another go, but it would never replace the Yeti, and I’d like the Trek as well, but again, a completely different animal, a race bike that probably wouldn’t sustain descending Jacobs Ladder week in week out under my 18st frame! Would love one as a 2nd bike though.

Seriously recommend going to one of these events though. Great fun and can destroy all you preconceptions…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Dalby Forest Demo Day – Bike Reviews Galore!’ is closed to new replies.