Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Dakine Split Roller 100l – anything similar to consider?
  • geoffj

Looking for a large wheeled bag for a skiing trip.
    The Split Roller looks like a decent option, but are there any alternatives worth considering?

Ta

gobuchul
    Free Member

I have an Ogio 9800, with 160 litre capacity. Really like it.

It’s designed for MX but the compartments make it really useful for sorting any type of kit.

Ogio 9800 £135

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have had a split roller for years now – its been really good.

Only potential problem with is depth for helmets, etc but I had my ski helmet packed in the upper section ok for a recent ski trip, and ski boots in the lower section.

It is also good for dealing with airlines that get sticky over bag weight – for instance American Airlines told me to get another bag for a return trip from Bermuda as my main bag was too heavy, so I had to buy a rucksack before return, but if I had had the split roller with me I could have just seperated them and checked in two lighter bags.

Mine is a slightly different design being older – mine has two external pockets at either end of the top section, looking at the new ones they seem slightly different.

The symmetry of mine is good, if I am going upstairs I grab the front strap on the top to lift the bag, and it is then tilted to go upstairs, and I grab the back handle to go downstairs so it tilted the other way. This is when I am also carrying a skitube.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Evoc world traveller, fits a full face too

footflaps

I use Berghaus 120l Wheeled Mule for skiing. I can get everything in inc Helmet and Ski boots.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dakine are a bit like heated wing mirrors. They used or be fairly exclusive, but now they’re common as muck.

😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Unlike Animal which always were.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Anyway geoffers, leaving Flashy’s continuing luggage shame to one side (for now 🙂 ), have a look at SnoKart’s stuff. I bought one of their board rollers and it’s great. Can’t vouch for their other stuff but the roller was good quality. Rugged material, zips and nice big wheels. Absolute-snow and LD Mountain Sports had best prices and delivery when I was shopping but there are a few sellers on eBay too.

geoffj

Thanks all. I looked at the snokart stuff as they have it in the local ski shop – looks pretty heavy duty which is good.
    Decisions, decisions!

djambo
    Free Member

I have a Dakine split roller I’m looking to sell if you’re keen?

Had it a while but it’s only been used twice so is in mint condition. Since mini Djambo came along it’s as likely to escape the loft as I am to get back to the alps skiining!

Let me know if interested

geoffj

djambo – defo interested if you are in Scotland.

djambo
    Free Member

geoffj – I’m down south but happy to send you some photos and ship it via courier if required.

email me (address in profile) if you’re keen.

mikey74
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be without my Split Roller: it’s a fantastic but of kit. My brother used his for skiing trips.

I looked at many alternatives and the Dakine seemed to be the best for my needs.

geoffj

djambo – I need it for Friday, so it’s probably a bit too difficult, time wise, but thanks for the offer.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

nah split rollers are ace. mine is quite new, been on three trips. easily fits ski boots, helmet and a weeks worth of clobber, and all the pockets make it dead easy to live out of, no more unpacking!!

mikey74
    Free Member

and all the pockets make it dead easy to live out of, no more unpacking!!

Yep, my experience as well.

shifter
    Free Member

Trouble with living out of split rollers is that they take up a lot of floor space. I go cheap to go twice and those cheap rooms are small! So I bought the non-splitting equivalent as well. Just my 2d 🙂

djambo
    Free Member

djambo – I need it for Friday, so it’s probably a bit too difficult, time wise, but thanks for the offer.

no worries. enjoy the trip!

davosaurusrex

django – I might be interested as geoffj has passed. Your email isn’t in your profile but mine is if you want to let me know how much you’re after

geoffj

Thanks all. I’ve gone for an Eastpak little number http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eastpak-Suitcase-EK14B82D-Blue/dp/B00WGJ560W

I do like the split design, but it does take up a lot of space – this should be perfect for chucking in the helmets, jackets, trews and all the other bulky stuff. Thanks all!

DrJ

djambo – where are you located? Might be interested if I can pick it up in LondonTown somewhere.

djambo
    Free Member

DrJ/davo

just dug it out of the loft and it’s practicaly in mint condition, barring a few superficial scratches on the hard base.

DrJ – i could get it to Liverpool St one morning if that helps?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Dakine Split Roller 100l – anything similar to consider?’ is closed to new replies.