Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Dainese Trail Skins Knee Guards
  • four
    Free Member

Has anyone used or own Dainese Trail Skins Knee Guards – the original or the new version?

If so what do you think in terms of real world all day XT performance?

Thanks.

komainu
    Free Member

Been using them for just over a year now. After the bedding in process they’re set and forget, for me. Nice and light, not too sweaty and good adjustability. Have worn them on 6+ hour rides and found having to adjust very rare. The inside and outside knee protector is barely noticeable but a great little feature to stop knee knocking against the frame. They’ve definitely saved me a sore knee or two, however would go for something a bit more robust if intended use was purely for bikepark/downhill days. Otherwise, great all round knee pad!

blahblahblah
    Free Member

As above.

I actually wear my 661 Rage knee pads in the winter for almost all rides because the trailskins are so well ventilated they are a bit chilly. They are perfect when it gets warmer again and you want to ride for a full day but still have protection.

One thing that I would say is try multiple sizes for fit. I ordered medium and large and the large arrived first. I thought I was going to keep them because the Velcro closure was quite tight and thought the mediums wouldn’t close at all. Then I tried the mediums and the knee pad bit was slimmer and the fit around my knee a lot better and the Velcro closure was identical in its range to fit my legs. The pads stay in place a lot better than my 661s just because they are so well fitted to my knee.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I had been searching for the right knee pad since my 661 Kyle Straits died in 2011 and finally settled on the Trail skins last year. They are very comfy. They come up small, I’d try a few sizes. The main problem is that the velcro tabs are very short but the new ones look to have sorted that.

They are so good that I got two sets just in case one wears out and I have to hunt for five years for a replacement again.

argoose
    Free Member

I’ve used a set for just over a year, all good.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Just to add a bit of balance, I have a pair and think they’re crap. Won’t stay in place, not particularly comfortable and forever falling down. I used to have kyle straits and loved them, have now moved onto 7idp pads and also find these a great fit. I do have treetrunk legs though, they may be ok in the smaller sizes.

four
    Free Member

Thanks for the input guys.

cookci
    Free Member

Ive fallen and weirdly landed just on my knees on very rocky terrain.

Luckily with my trail skins fitted i didnt feel a thing. Top marks from me

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I bought some but they feel a bit clumsy compared to my TL KG5400s

domtrax

Had trail skins for about a year, can’t get on with them. Not comfy and constantly fall down, so back to my fox launch pros for every ride which are brill.

benp1

I really like mine when I actually need to wear a pair, rarely do though. Mine are the original ones

Haven’t washed them yet. Have you guys just been chucking them in the washing machine?

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

I’ve just bought my 2nd pair, first ones lasted me a couple of years of riding 2-3 times a week, before the mesh backs started to get holed. I find them barely noticeable, but have a mate who can’t get on with his, so guess it does come down to the shape of your legs.
    My new pair felt noticeably stiffer than the old ones when new, but after 5 or 6 rides they have softened up now.
    And yes, I bung mine in the wash with the rest of my riding kit.

1timmy1
    Free Member

The Mrs and I have e found ours to be comfortable for all day rides. Ventilation is good and we like the side pads too.

We normally wipe ours down but they have been in the washing machine a few times and been fine after.

poah
    Free Member

Had them since they came out. Comfy, well ventilated and they protect you. Also they have side protection unlike a lot of other “enduro” pads.

patagonian
    Free Member

Got mine about a year ago after my mate had a nasty accident. After a few weeks you don’t even notice they are on and they have done their job after a couple of tumbles. Can’t comment on washing them as I never have!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Dainese Trail Skins Knee Guards’ is closed to new replies.