Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Daily Mail advertising on STW. >
  • Just thought it ironic that direct links to the DM are not allowed, but now there’s an advert for Mail Plus, whatever that is, over on the right. 😛

Jamie
    Free Member

*advertising.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

More ironic that the ads are based on your browsing history

slowoldgit
    Free Member

More ironic that the ads are based on your browsing history

Which I take to be a reason for avoiding google

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

BOOM!

GrahamS

Which I take to be a reason for avoiding google

That makes no odds. Your browsing history has as much influence as much as your searching history.

Thanks Jamie, just in time for an edit. 😉
    Unlikely to be based on browsing history, but with a shared computer, you never know. I’ll have to have a word with Mrs MTG.

allthepies
    Free Member

Probably uses page content also, and the number of times the words “Daily Mail” crops up on here then it’s not surprising.

^^^^^ Oops!

GHill

Adverts?

😛

maccruiskeen

Its not just your history off of the site, theres an element of your posting and viewing on the site too. ‘The Daily Mail’, is often mentioned in threads here (as are as are Sheds, double D cup bras and Benny Hill) and so it can appear to ad servers that these therefore subjects that an individual forum user, if they’ve participated in those threads, or the forum group as a whole would be interested in.

I was farting around in google account settings and found a box I could tick that switched off their efforts to try and match ads and results to my history. I work in films and have to research some weird and sometimes disturbing topics and I don’t want the fact google sees me as a middle age, middle class outdoor activites enthusiast shape the results I’m getting if I’m having to research esoteric nazi mythology, pre-taliban afghan dancing shoes, WW1 Indian army field rations and so on. Essentially I don’t want results shaped to who they think I am because its not my interests I’m pursuing. Similarly I don’t really want those searches shaping the results I get when I’m looking for new shoes.

So I checked the box….. the next time I logged into STW all those ads ^ > were for incontinence pants. 🙂

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Oh, well, I’m sure there are other good reasons for avoiding google

maccruiskeen

Oh, well, I’m sure there are other good reasons for avoiding google

I asked Jeeves but he couldn’t think of any 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

searching for ‘adverts’ so i can find the tread about the streaming/downloading of the epic TV adverts over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    and this is the cosset thread.
    i have not clicked on them yet there they are streaming away my data allowance.
    did anyone work out why they auto play and how to stop it?

bonchance
    Free Member

I asked Jeeves but he couldn’t think of any

Remove the speech marks – he can’t hear you!

konabunny
    Free Member

pre-taliban afghan dancing shoes

Tsk, and I’ve just thrown three perfectly good pairs out. I was going to put them on the classifieds but thought it wouldn’t be worth it after postage and paypal fees.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Thanks for link

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Daily Mail advertising on STW. >’ is closed to new replies.