Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Daily hack / work bike
  • crush83
    Free Member

hay guys and girls,

i am going to be comuting to work only about 3/4 miles each way a day.

I dont want to use my Orange Crush for this and prematurely ware out the consumables on it.

i was thinking of getting a gash bike that i can stick slick/ semi slick tyres on to do this trip, maybe even a rigid!

Cant use the C2W scheme because the Millitary does not support it.

so what do you , the STW masses, use for this kind of duty?

Show me your daily workhorse!!

Saccades
    Free Member

I’m lucky in that I’ve pretty secure lockup at work (in a remote location) and the local pubs allows me to bring the bike in (use it to pop into town to watch the footie) so my bike doesn’t have to be a complete hack, also used to tow the kiddie trailer.

Alfine for indestrucability.

MrTall
    Free Member

Classifieds or Ebay to pick up something suitably gash as required or if you want new then Rutland do 2 bikes by Forme that may fit the bill?

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/44933/Forme-Al-Fresco-Men-s-Hybrid-Road-Bike.html

There is a cheaper version as well at £199

For 3-4 miles each way there’s no point going for a decent bike as any bike will do that distance pretty comfortably with very little time difference between good and crappy bikes.

binners

Singlespeed is the way forward. This was mine for doing that distance. GT Timberline frame bought for the princely sum of £11 off fleabay, stripped and powder coated. Built up entirely from stuff thrown in the corner of the garage. Only thing new were the cranks and headset.

Singlespeed-tastic /Hack bike by binlidski, on Flickr

crush83
    Free Member

For 3-4 miles each way there’s no point going for a decent bike as any bike will do that distance pretty comfortably with very little time difference between good and crappy bikes.

I quite agree, this is why i dont want to use the crush.

i would be happy with a old steel / ali frame, even an . . . . . . Apollo 😡 that i can just pop a max of £50 into for a single speed conversion maybe and consumables.

crush83
    Free Member

Binners,

thats exactly the type of thing i need!

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Cheap frame off here I think. Used loads of spares and spent about £50 total originally….but then splashed a bit of cash on it as I tend to use it in place of my other bikes now. Single Speed is what put the fun back into cycling for me (36:14).
    Now when out on the mtb I forget there are gears to change!

Flashy
    Free Member

SS Surly 1×1 with guards and crap componants……..been riding it for 2 – 3 years, but I park it in the stationary cupboard at work…

nickjb
    Free Member

Mine is pretty gash. As a bike fan it’s hard to build up a rubbish looking bike, but it is essential for security round these parts if you want to leave it outside. Those pictured above would attract too much attention. It’s so rough I haven’t even taken a picture.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Daily hack / work bike’ is closed to new replies.