• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Daily going rate for a builder please?
  • Bunnyhop

Including V.A.T.
    Am I to understand that if the tradesman askes for cash or, the customer paid cash, the customer is liable if said workperson is caught not declaring the work?

Thank you

bigad40
    Free Member

Depends if builder is VAT registered.
    Self employed means no VAT on invoices.
    You’ll need to be a lot mo specific.
    Work required, location etc.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Massively dependent on where in the UK you are. In Surrey at was £250-£300 a day for general stuff although ages since we had work done.

arcing
    Free Member

The prices in Surrey were on our list of ‘cons’ before we moved. I’m now being quoted £150 a day in Gloucestershire.

jon1973
    Free Member

Am I to understand that if the tradesman askes for cash or, the customer paid cash, the customer is liable if said workperson is caught not declaring the work?

How can the customer possibly be held responsible if they builder tries to cheat the taxman? As far as I know, cash is a perfectly legitimate form of payment.

Bunnyhop

This particular builder has given me a quote. This will be 20% extra if Paid with a cheque.
    I’m guessing he wouldn’t declare it, if paid with cash.

andyl
    Free Member

The question is do you want to employ someone who is willing to fiddle his books?

How big and how cock-up-able is the job if he turns out to be a cowboy? Have you seen his work and got decent references?

How can the customer possibly be held responsible if they builder tries to cheat the taxman? As far as I know, cash is a perfectly legitimate form of payment.

given that the builder has said 20% off for cash compared to another route then he is now privy to the scam and would be an accomplice. After-all his is the one benefiting from the 20% reduction, the builder is just able to be more competitive and out-price the competition. Hence benefit to both parties and full knowledge by both.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“In Surrey at was £250-£300 a day for general stuff “

😯

If you’re not an idiot, have some idea of what’s involved, and aren’t the sort of person to get ripped off, then general labourers range from £80-150 per day. Semi-skilled work from £120-180, and proper skilled stuff from £150 or so upwards. I would never pay anyone £250-300 a day for ‘general stuff’! But then, that’s because I do have a fair idea of what’s involved, and experience of such work. Knowledge and experience is useful if you don’t want to get ripped off. 😉

Here’s a fairly useful guide to prices by region:

http://www.buildingsheriff.com/tradesmens-day-rates.html

mahalo

bag o’sand a week.

andyl
    Free Member

just to add, if the builder produced a VAT invoice showing VAT was charged but said cash only and then decided not to declare it then it’s different. As soon as discount for cash is mentioned or a reluctance to take a traceable payment method then you have to be suspicious.

Rockape63
    Free Member

you’re not an idiot, have some idea of what’s involved, and aren’t the sort of person to get ripped off, then general labourers range from £80-150 per day. Semi-skilled work from £120-180, and proper skilled stuff from £150 or so upwards. I would never pay anyone £250-300 a day for ‘general stuff’! But then, that’s because I do have a fair idea of what’s involved, and experience of such work. Knowledge and experience is useful if you don’t want to get ripped off.

Indeed….I live in Surrey and would never pay more than Clodhopper is suggesting.

jon1973
    Free Member

given that the builder has said 20% off for cash compared to another route then he is now privy to the scam and would be an accomplice.

OK, fair enough. I can see that. The 20% discount thing wasn’t mentioned in the OP.

jimdubleyou

It’s difficult – if you “employ” somebody, you can be held liable if they don’t pay their tax correctly.

Hard to see how that applies to a builder if you’ve got a contract for services etc.

clodhopper
    Free Member

As for payment; we only ever pay by cheque/BACS for ‘big’ jobs, as we need a traceable transaction for our own tax/insurance etc. For small jobs, we might pay cash. As for trades people declaring their earnings etc; if a flash git turns up in a shiny new pickup truck, demanding cash only, he can jog on. If he’s come on the bus, with his tatty toolbox strapped to a shopping trolly, and is struggling to get by, then I couldn’t give a toss if he’s ‘fiddling’ his tax, good luck to him. I might even give him a few quid more on top. But generaly, we’ve actually found that the best people don’t actually charge much, clean up after themselves properly, and are always 100% above board on everything.

tomd
    Free Member

If he’s offering you a discount for cash, i.e. dodge the VAT then morals / legalities aside it probably tells you a lot about how he runs the business and the fun you’ll have if the job goes tits.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Daily going rate for a builder please?’ is closed to new replies.