Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Daft suspension question
  • DiscJockey
    Free Member

It’s probably because I’m a crap rider, but there’s an aspect of riding a full-suss that bothers me: not being able to bunny hop over obstacles effectively.

For example, on a particular downhill section I’ve done many times, there are a couple of stone slab drainage channels. On my Cove hardtail, I found it easy to flick the bike over, i.e. bunny hop. But on my full-suss, I’m not able to flick the bike up as well, due to the slight compression when I push down before bunny hopping. And to prove my crapness at jumping over square-edge obstacles, I’ve actually had more rear-tyre pinch flats since going to full-suss, because my rear wheel isn’t fully clearing the gap when I attempt to hop over.

I’m now more apprehensive at jumping over logs, trenches than I was on the hardtail !

The full-suss is 130mm travel F&R (DT Swiss/RP23) and sag height at about 30%, i.e. softish, but never bottoming out.

Anyone else have the same problem – any advice will be much appreciated…

bikeneil
    Free Member

What bike is it? Some full sus bikes are harder than others and may require different techniques.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Set the suss firmer?

Use the suss to bounce down before the obstacle so you can bounce up and over?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DiscJockey
    Free Member

bikeneil – Trance X
    aphex – already got 200psi in the shock, and I weight 75kg, so could increase pressure…but I think I need to improve technique, and as you say, work with the suspension, use the bounce-down. It just means having to respond and think ahead that bit quicker. I think that’s where I’m getting caught out – I was just so used to flicking the bike up instantly – now it feels like it’s taking half a second – which is a long time when flying down a rocky descent !

jairaj

Yep hops and jumps can be harder on a full sus as they tend to absorb your efforts. More practice needed in tweaking your technique to work with full suss.

Running less rebound damping can help. Pump the bike into the ground before hand, the bike will bounce back quicker due to less damping and if you time it right, you can use this to help you gain more “pop”.

Trimix
    Free Member

Make exagerated body movements. Use the spring to spring you up. It is different but will come with practice.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Thanks everyone – now all I need is some time on the bike to get practise !

andrewh
    Free Member

Is it definately the suspension causing the issue? Any two bikes with different geometries will handle differently, and one will inevitably be easier to hop on than the other. The fact that one happens to be a full suss may be a coincedence.

mjsmke

I had the same problem when i first moved from a hard tail to full sue. Just hopping up curbs seemed more effort at first. Just keep practicing and you’ll be fine. Now hard tails seem odd to bunny hop because i’m so use to a full sue.

rickon
    Free Member

As above, I’ve nothing more to add. About a foot before the jump point, pump the bike, and then stand up.

I was just so used to flicking the bike up instantly

^ this, isn’t the right technique. Are you on SPDs? If so, stop using them to lift the bike up.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Daft suspension question’ is closed to new replies.