Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Daft question, replacement O ring to show sag on rear shock.
  • lister

Just realised that my new Fox shock doesn’t have an O ring on the shaft to show how much travel I’m getting.
    What would be a suitable replacement that I could fit without unbolting one end of the shock?

I need something that I can attach round the shock that won’t get in the way or look too stupid.
    The problem with something like an elastic band is that it will have to have a knot and will look weird…

Any ideas?

starsh78
    Free Member

zip-tie.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

a 2.5mm zip tie. Get the tension right & cut off the end. I have seen them on forks & they look OK. You could even get a red on – like the O ring.

I have put an O ring on in the past to replace lost ones on a rear shock but the one I used (gen purpose one?) tended to disolve a bit with the fork lube I put on my stanchion (shaft).

Mal-ec
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bung a zip tie on, too scratchy. Loads of O rings on ebay.

gusamc
    Free Member

? could you use elastric string (like used inside tent poles) – so you can just tie it round

lister

I was worried about the scratchyness of a ziptie. Might try thin elastic.

reedspeed
    Free Member

You can buy a box full in Aldi for £6.50 !..

perthmtb
    Free Member

Assuming you are fastidiously following the maintenance schedules and doing an aircan service every ten minutes, then a spare ‘O’ ring comes in the seal kit.

I know this because after doing the service on my shock for the first time I had one ‘O’ ring left over, and after much head scratching and pouring over maintenance manuals, and when I was just about to take the whole bloomin thing apart again, I realised it was that one 😳

bencooper
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bung a zip tie on, too scratchy. Loads of O rings on ebay.

If your shock can be damaged by a bit of nylon, it might not stand up too well to mountain biking…

Vinnyc
    Free Member

Just use the dirt left on the fork as measurement 😆

Northwind

Do it right, o-ring and just unbolt the end? There’s very few bikes where that’s problematic.

andycs

Zip tie will slide and scratch, o-ring will roll. You can use zip tie to set sag, just remove before riding.

MarkLG
    Free Member

Halfords do a little selection pack of various sizes in the car parts department for a coupe of quid.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Daft question, replacement O ring to show sag on rear shock.’ is closed to new replies.