Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Daft Q: if doors open at 7 for a gig, what's latest you can go in?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

New Order tomorrow night at Wolves Civic, don’t really fancy the support acts, can I rock up later and still go in? Should know this by now!

alanl
    Free Member

Normally yes, turn up at any time.
    We balls’d up earlier this year when we went to watch Georgie Fame.
    Doors open 7pm.
    Ok, we’ll get there 7.30 0n, as nothing will happen until at least 8pm when the (unadvertised) support act comes on.
    As it happens, there wasnt a support act on, and Georgie was on at 7.30. We missed the first 10 mins.
    No, it wasnt worth the price, nice to see him, but not good value – he only did one of his hits, the rest was mostly jazz solos.

CountZero

Well yes, of course you can, you can also turn up in time for the doors opening at 7, then go to the bar.
    Of course, either scenario means you’ll be stood at the back for the main set, but if that doesn’t matter, then do whichever is most convenient.
    Just don’t think you can pitch up just before New Order come on then elbow your way through to the front; anyone with that sense of entitlement gets treated with the contempt they deserve.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Crikey, easy CountZero, I was only planning to get there 30 mins or so after doors open. Cheers all.

footflaps

I often just turn up for the main act at 9 ish.

CountZero

Crikey, easy CountZero, I was only planning to get there 30 mins or so after doors open. Cheers all.

I’ve got to gigs a couple of minutes after doors opened, because the time on the tickets was wrong, and found myself halfway back from the stage. I’ve also experienced many times people who’ve either gone to the bar or arrived late barging their way to the front because they have a ticket and they’re ‘entitled’ to stand at the front.
    This isn’t good etiquette, and really pisses people off, something that’s worth pointing out just in case.
    I always try to get to a gig in plenty of time to get right at the front and to see the support: many times I’ve seen unknowns who’ve turned out to be really good, and who’ve become better known or as well known as the headline, Slaves being a recent example; I saw them twice at the same venue, supporting the same headline, Blood Red Shoes, and I was very impressed with them.
    Looks like they’ll be a lot bigger than BRS.
    Going to see Courtney Barnett next week, I have no idea at all who’s supporting her, but I’ll be there early and down to front to find out; they could turn out to be my new favourite band. 😀

sc-xc

CountZero, that would make sense if gigs were static audiences. Virtually every gig I go to has an area at the front, some sort of mosh pit (although I hate that word…when I started going to gigs in the late 80s we called it wrecking). Why is it bad if I turn up late and go to the pit? Most of the bellends who stand front and centre soon realise that there is a place to stand, and a place to dance.

I went to a kasabian (I know, total shit) at the civic once. The lad I was with insisted on getting there before the doors opened. He then waited by the stage, while I went back and forwards with beer. The people that were there before anything happened were pretty much all replaced by people wanting to dance by the the time the band started.

What happens when you need to go to the bog, or bar? How’s your walk of shame then?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Daft Q: if doors open at 7 for a gig, what's latest you can go in?’ is closed to new replies.