Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Daft behaviour
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Riding along a fireroad at a reasonable clip on Saturday, three lads going the same way as me carrying 8ft long poles, trunks of small trees. Fair enough, they are probably doing a bit of Ray Mears, nothing wrong with that in my eyes. However they heard me coming and the one thought he would cross to the far side of the trail to get out of my way. Again, nothing wrong with that. The daft part is that he turned his body through 45 degrees to walk in that direction, which meant the pole swung out across the trail in true silent movie style, causing me to brake sharply. Pillock, but at least he was contrite, and I saw the funny side.

CountZero

😆

lemonysam
    Free Member

Haha! I’ve had the dog walking equivalent a few times. Husband holding lead jumps out of the way left, wife holding dog by the collar goes right. Hilarity ensues.

Cougar

The most common canine hilarity I see is when the owners of said pooch wait until you’re practically on top of them before thinking “oh, I’d better call Fido over from the other side of the trail…”

Still, it’s always good to get some emergency stop practice.

MoreCashThanDash

That’s what we need, a remake of “The Plank” but with bikes!

Tarmac bridleway with hedge on left and woods on right.
    Woman on left of bridleway by hedge, dog in woods, both about 100m away.
    80m, woman sees me. Calls dog. Dog ignores her. I can see what’s going to happen.
    60m, woman sees me. Calls dog. Dog ignores her. She can’t really be that stupid, can she ?
    40m, woman sees me. Calls dog. Dog ignores her. It would take her three steps to cross the path to the woods.
    20m, woman sees me. Calls dog. Dog runs towards her.

Stone track, wide and smooth enough for cars. Reservoir on the right, wide, sloping grass verge on the left.
    Big family group walking towards me, four generations, snotties right up to coffin dodgers.
    No problem, I’ll swing wide up the grass bank round them.
    Woman near front of group sees me already on the grass, walks backwards up bank pulling a pushchair behind her as if to clear the road for me. Meanwhile, her grandparents, aunty, uncle and cousins are all chatting amongst themselves, walking in the road, unaware that I am approaching for a wide pass.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had another on a fairly busy cycle path. Small terrier thing emerges from behind a bush and runs across the trail as I’m fairly close, but it’s got enough time to get across. He’s followed by a kid holding the lead who sees me and stops, bringing the dog up right smack bang in front of me. Poor thing almost bought the farm, and not strictly his fault either. It was very close, I think my front wheel touched him.

29erKeith
    Free Member

cycling home from work yesterday, a man stepped off the kerb into the road right in front of me, didn’t look, no warning. I braked sharpish and missed him. So I politely said “please look before stepping into the road” and he could say was “Have you got a bell on that bike” over and over again. 🙄

what I am expected to do ride down the road constantly ringing it? Like cars drive down the road blasting their horn every 5 seconds. Idiot!

rusty90
    Free Member

Heading up the trail out of Rosebush on to the Preseli hills, man emerges from shed in front of me carrying 12 foot ladder. “Look out!” I shout, man turns round to see what’s happening. Laurel and Hardy couldn’t have done it better. (No harm done and we had a good chat as a result)

MrNutt
    Free Member

I knew someone that thought boiling an egg in with the pasta they were cooking was ok, I also understand that lots of hotels are having to replace kettles due to european folk cooking hot dogs in them.

patriotpro
    Free Member

My favourite is announcing your approach from the rear to walkers, including which side you are going to pass them on and they either move to that side or simply look back showing they are aware of you then not moving at all. I can’t decide whether I prefer them not moving at all or to the side you have said you will pass on. 😆

nickc

I knew someone that thought boiling an egg in with the pasta they were cooking was ok

Call me Mr thickie… What’s wrong with this?

molgrips
    Free Member

“Have you got a bell on that bike”

I’d have asked “Have you got a brain in that head?”

Rusty90 wins tho so far, that’s quality.

jamj1974

I’d have said “No, I haven’t but you have. It’s on the front of your head.”

patriotpro
    Free Member

jamj1974 – Member
    I’d have said “No, I haven’t but you have. It’s on the front of your head.”

I’ve used that once or twice 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

Mr thickie – everything!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Agreed its a bit annoying.

But the most annoying thing about Bridleways areDog Walkers who have their pooch on an extended lead, walker one side of the trail, dog the other, lead across the trail… 🙄

nickc

MrNutt, I’m afraid you’re still going to have to be more specific than that…

dabble
    Free Member

I am also at a loss as to why not to boil eggs with pasta. I suppose the egg could split leaving you with mildly eggy pasta but if its off in a salad with the egg I don’ see the bother.
    I’ve hard boiled eggs in hotel kettles, then had a brew with no ill effects but hot dogs would be a bit rank.

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh my goodness, you people are savages, nature will take care of you.

nickewen
    Free Member

Daftest thing I’ve seen in a while..

Sat in a queue of traffic on a busy front street on way home from work. See a small hatchback coming the other way at a decent speed (which is what brought my attention to the car).

Glance over as a young lady flies past in the opposite direction whilst… Doing her make up in the reflective surface on the back of a CD!

Actually proably most dangerous thing I’ve seen in a while.

nickc

oh my goodness, you people are savages

My mother would doubtless agree, do expand on your theory as to why boiling an egg alongside the pasta cooking in the same boiling water marks us out as not fit to be seen in polite society. 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Daft behaviour’ is closed to new replies.