Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • daft 1x question regarding cranks oh and a disc diameter question
  • andybrad

Ok so i understand that some fols are going 1x instead of 2 or 3x on the front. I understand that you need super human legs etc and all that.

So do you just take the other rings off and stick a NW on the middle / outer spider leaving the inner one with nothing on it? or are they specific cranks for this/ do you need specific cranks?

does it not effect things in the extremities of the cassette?

sorry for the questions.

Also im looking at rotors for my hope x2 brakes the hope ones are 183mm strangely. Is there any advantage to running these over say a superstar 180mm disc?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Been 1x for near on 2 years now.
    Expanded cassette helps heaps a 42t rear with something like a 32 up front gets you near to 24/34. The top end is more lacking.

Middle ring of a triple works well, you can always move BB spacers to alter the chainline if you need.

Yak

stick a NW on the middle

that’s the cheapest way and should give a correct chainline of c 48-50mm so either end of the cassette is fine.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Yes, just ditch the ones you don’t need. Use the middle ring position of a 3x crank. Using a 2x crank may cause chain line issues. You get cranks specific to single rings but it’s mostly down to aesthetics.

You don’t need superhuman legs if you use a wide range cassette. But many don’t and it’s fine.

andybrad

so how would you adjust the chainline on a 2x to go 1x? and what do you fill the outer spider with on a 3x?

Yak

You may need narrow chainring bolts, depending on the thickness of the n/w chainring. Sorry I see what you are asking

For a really neat solution, you can get some cover plates to smooth over the bolt area of the outer face of the spider. Only if you are really fussed about this sort of thing though.

woody2000

what do you fill the outer spider with on a 3x

Bashguard

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nothing on the other spiders, you get different bolt lengths or spacers.

Having had some chain issues I ended up at 32-34 which was not as much fun as 32/42

gonzy
    Free Member

what do you fill the outer spider with on a 3x
    Bashguard

a bashguard will work as it takes up the slack in the chainring bolts…if you decide not to fit a bashguard then you’ll need shorter chainring bolts

i’ve been running 1×10 for over a year…32t n/w with an 11-36 cassette…i can climb pretty much any hill

Also im looking at rotors for my hope x2 brakes the hope ones are 183mm strangely. Is there any advantage to running these over say a superstar 180mm disc?

i’m assuming that you’re currently on 160mm. for some reason hope size up to 183mm so you probably would get the hope adapters which would allow you to use the 183mm rotors. you might be able to use non hope adapters so you can use 180mm rotors instead but dont mix them as using 180mm specific adapters on a 183mm rotor wont give you the clearance you need and using 183mm adapters on a 180mm rotor will leave the rotor not sitting far enough into the caliper and will wear a groove in the pads and at some point the pads will angage and the rotor will continue to spin resulting in erm…..death and destuction!

andybrad

the brakes are on the back of a liteville 301. So the PM is set to 180. Ive got a 183 disk for using the x2 calipers.

so basically its a new disc?

gonzy
    Free Member

so basically its a new disc?

yep, but i think its still possible to use the old rotor by adding a few washers to lift the caliper up an extra 3mm. try that first before committing to a new rotor

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the threaded nut/washer on presta tubes gives you the 3mm to go from 180->183.

greyspoke
    Free Member

According to the manufacturers of cranks and chainrings, the optimal chainline for a 1x is a few mm inside of the middle ring position on a triple. So they recommend spacers, or chainrings with some space built-in, when using cranks designed for a triple. I have a One-up 30t fat ‘n thin ring on mine, that is spaced in a bit (which is why you can fit a 30t on a standard 4-arm compact chainset). The gears certainly seem to work tidy across the cassette, but probly the few mm involved don’t make much of a diff.

stevied
    Free Member

yep, but i think its still possible to use the old rotor by adding a few washers to lift the caliper up an extra 3mm. try that first before committing to a new rotor

You’ll only need 1.5mm of washer as it is half the difference between 183 and 180mm. You only need to lift if half the radial difference.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘daft 1x question regarding cranks oh and a disc diameter question’ is closed to new replies.