• This topic has 43 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Dadtrackworld…. toddlers and sickness bugs
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Morning folks

Im off work again today with another sickness bug (mostly the runs)…

Ive been getting these every other month since my 1 year old daughter has been going to nursery!

I think my employer thinks im taking the piss!

Has anyone else experienced this with their child or have I just been really unlucky?

jam-bo

yep. you’ll come out the other side of it with a much stronger immune system…

martinhutch

Your employer has clearly forgotten how much of a biohazard a nursery-age toddler is. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes. And don’t think you’ll be immune to it happening all over again if you have a second kid either!

perchypanther
    Free Member

or a third.

Then they start primary school and mix with a whole new bunch of kids and off we go again.

crazyjenkins01

Nursery/school AKA germ factory

grahamt1980

Oh this sounds familiar.
    When my 2 year old first went to nursery i had more time off in the first year of that than i had in the previous 10 years.
    Little germ filled Biohazards

jimjam
    Free Member

I felt bad for taking my two to the GP as often as I was and he said roughly 90% of his work load was toddlers.

nickhit3
    Free Member

normal. I’ve never had vomiting and the runs like it before child one appeared.. and yes, she only started getting sick at nursery. Both parents affected. Its brutal.

woffle
    Free Member

my wife used to work in a nursery. The first few months there she was ill. A lot.

Little people = germ vectors.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Something is up there IMHO, I’ve got 3 boys at 5 and under and not caught anything worse than a cold off them. Perhaps you’re not in as good a nick as you think you may be.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Perhaps you’re not in as good a nick as you think you may be.

This – inevitable with parenting a young child!

But i don’t think there’s much that combats picking up infection from explosive vomiting etc.

darrell
    Free Member

all sounds very familiar

get used to it

fifeandy
    Free Member

i don’t think there’s much that combats picking up infection from explosive vomiting etc.

Keeping the zipper firmly done up in the first place 😆

hot_fiat

Totally normal.

There was one week, when my wife was in america & i was looking after the kids, that I came down with it. I couldn’t actually get out of bed – properly knocked me for six. I remember having to crawl down the stairs with yet another load of soiled cot sheets thinking that i might actually pass out & fall to the bottom.

If your employer truly feels you’re taking the pi$$, go to work with it. Spread the joy. A couple of days with an entirely crippled workforce will soon alter their mindset.

chilled76
    Free Member

Yes. And don’t think you’ll be immune to it happening all over again if you have a second kid either!

Pants.. so I’ve basically got 5 years of getting ill to look forward to!

5w/kg isnt happening this decade!

nerd
    Free Member

The first year at nursery is the worst, the whole family seems to be ill all at once. The second year is better but by then you probably have another child. After another year the new child starts nursery and it all starts again. Our 2nd daughter is just about to start nursery and we’re bracing ourselves and stocking up on the Immodium! 🙂

A tip from us: get a flu jab. They only cost £10 and are well worth it. We all had flu in Feb 2016 and that really knocked us for six for about two weeks. Trying to look after a sick toddler when your entire body aches and you can’t really stand up is not easy. I got a jab last year (Oct 2016) and will get another one later this week.

funkmasterp

Funk Jr is three and a half and been at pre-school, three half days for just over a year. We must’ve been lucky because the worst we’ve had is colds and a pretty tame sickness bug. Funk Mk2 is due in just under a month, so we might get hit second time round.

woody2000

o I’ve basically got 5 years of getting ill

Nah, it’s way longer than that! I’m doomed on all sides – Mrs works in the NHS and I’ve got 3 kids under 9. I haven’t been 100% since about 2005 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s gonna happen, all you can do is protect yourself as best you can ie, don’t share towels, wash hands properly, avoid cross-contamination of food (don’t be eating their left-over fish fingers no matter how tasty they look) etc etc….

chilled76
    Free Member

Cheers for the tips.

Flu jab sounds like a plan!

MrsToast
    Free Member

Our lad started nursery at 8 months, I’ve had a cold ever since and have used over a week of holiday due to him either being sick or poopy on various occasions. He’s not been ill for a few months now though!

Fortunately my bosses all have young kids, they also have to take a lot of time off!

bigrich

I’ve been in bed all day with a stinking cold. Typhoid toddler is running around at full steam, only symptom a runny nose.

Sandwich

Learn to wash your hands properly. Before you eat, before prepping food and before bed (along with after each toilet visit and nappy change). We noticed a sharp drop in infections at one workplace when we went full food hygiene (as in finished product food not ingredient food) to meet supermarket requirements.

Like this

Timing is roughly 2 verses of happy birthday to you.

nickhit3
    Free Member

^ this guy… 🙄

TiRed

Caught slapped cheek (parvovirus) of one and could barely walk for a month. Caught proper ear infection of another. Lots of tummy bugs. Wife caught chickenpox off the first and couldn’t get out of bed for two weeks. I could go on…

Eat plenty of natural yoghurt to keep those gut bacteria well-stocked. And wash your hands, doorknobs and surfaces frequently.

BillOddie

Yeah, we had this when ours were in Nursery. However it was more a rotating door of colds rather than shits and voms.

It’s not as bad when they go to school aside from the occasional D&V outbreak taking out literally 1/2 the school. 🙄

mccraque

I’ve always been a little sensitive the stomach upsets ever since I managed to get food poisoning!

When my son started nursery, every stomach bug he got, I got. similarly, I felt like people thought I was taking the p1ss at work…especially as my VP had no kids and just didn’t get it.

Fast forward a couple of years – my immune system has toughened a fair bit. Was only Monday night as it happens – my lad projectiled all over the sofa…..I am still fine at the moment, but will update should I replicate in the office.

richardkennerley

It’s has been at nursery for 5 months-ish. It’s been one cold after another, she’s well for a few days at most then the next stuffy nose/cough comes along. We’ve had hand,foot and mouth too, I missed out on that but the wife caught it!!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Jnr FD has suffered from illness since he started nursery idly though always serious chest issues ie colds/viruses see him end up in hospital

Oddly not once has he had D&V

Be more careful with hand washing etc it may help

NZCol

Coughs and colds in our house. Last week we both had the voms and child was fine !

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I tend to just get colds from mine too. Not had anything that’s forced me to reschedule customers. Sitting here with a cold right now, but nowt beyond a headache, malaise and sore throat/blocked nose.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Welcome to parenting normal.

All peaks when they start nursery IME. That year was a nightmare of stomach bugs and flu. First birthday for our eldest I was hallucinating from flu and our boy was so ill he just cried when mrsmonkfinger brought him his birthday cake (its usually impossible to separate him from it). Topped off with being snowed in, that was a corker of a party…

brakes
    Free Member

my kids never get sick, apart from colds, and nor do I.

:smug:

:awaits inevitable uberbug as punishment for tempting fate:

scaled
    Free Member

The thing is, it’s not just your kids nursery that you’re picking up germs from!

My 2 year old is at nursery, when he gets sick he brings it home and spreads it to his parents, he also passes it on to his sister, who’s at school, with a whole other bunch of kids who have brothers and sisters at other schools and nurserys in the area. There’s a bloody huge network of germs about 😀

Nursery/school AKA germ factory

I think Germ exchange is probably more accurate!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Tell me about it.

I was single for 10 years after I flew the nest, I only had a housemate for a few months, 10 years of living solo and working in a climate controlled air-scrubbed office.

Seems it left me wide-open to anything going…

Moved in with Mrs Jay and her (now our) 4 year old – School Germs and Ward germs meant I was sick more then well I’m sure, FF 5-6 years and the Baby came along, started in Pre-School Nursery at 8 months and I swear for the next 18 months to 2 years I was circling the drain most of the time – seriously, I got Pneumonia like some 85 year old lady on her last legs.

Now, I’m pleased to say, 8 years after first moving into the petri-dish that is our home, I just get the usual odd cold, they only last 3 days too, not 3 weeks! Or like the cough I got last winter that lasted 5 MONTHS!

revs1972
    Free Member

Wait till you get worms.
    Itchy little arse dwellers that they are.
    You can teach your kids to be as hygienic as much as you want, it’s the other dirty buggers they mix with that need tellin

Yak

I’d take worms over headlice any day. In fact we do, at about a 2:1 ratio.

revs1972
    Free Member

Never had headlice, us or the kids…..
    Guess our hair has never been clean enough :mrgreen:

tjagain

Something very wrong if you are getting D&V that often. Hand hygiene would be my guess. Wash your hands and the kids hands properly and frequently

As an aside – I along with 12 other nurses and 100 non nurses were on a trip to south america. All the non nurses got the squits – non of the nurses did. A combination of hand hygiene and immunity I would guess

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Dadtrackworld…. toddlers and sickness bugs’ is closed to new replies.