Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Dadstrackworld – What educational toys for 16 month old?
  • Daffy

My son is 16 months old, he loves walking running, reading (such as it is) and helping his old man withe the bikes and the cars.

However, he’s got little or no interest in his toys at the moment, some are below his age range but others fit perfectly….he’s still not interested.

Any suggestions?

steveoath
    Free Member

Something he can hit. Drums etc. Boys love that. Or large building blocks?

Dylan08
    Free Member

2nd Large Building Blocks. Also, Melissa & Doug and Orchard make great educational kids toys and of course the goold old ELC ..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    vinnyeh

My son is 16 months old, he loves walking running, reading (such as it is) and helping his old man withe the bikes and the cars.

Sounds pretty well rounded for that age group to me 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Everything’s an educational toy when you’re that age. Spoons, mixing bowls, worms, sticks, food, crappy old dress jewelry, balloons, balls…

Why not take him to a toy shop and see if he notices anything.

midlifecrashes

Stacking stuff, blocks, bead on wire puzzles, pretend stuff like model toolsets, play food, all that sort of stuff. Probably just a bit young but soon be train set time, wooden one to start.

edhornby

what most parents would give for a child not arsed with chinese-made plastic objects that blert out annoying songs over and over… 😉

stacking cups? push the shape in the holes toys?

slinky?

joemarshall
    Free Member

Push chair for teddies/dolls – all the kids, boys or girls love those. We got two from charity shops and hand me downs, and that means they can chase friends around.

A couple of months early, but you might as well get the balance bike now.

Other than that, balls are a good one.

Possibly just coming up to the painting age – get a good apron and a tarp and be relaxed about furniture etc.

Almost Duplo time maybe, although at that age, you’ll just be making things for him, so it can be a bit of a drag.

I wouldn’t worry about things being educational – they are learning by doing pretty much anything at that age – running, carrying things, climbing, riding on toys, throwing stuff, whatever it is all educational, it is hard for them to do any activity without learning. I do a lot of the looking after our one, and at that age she mostly was having picnics at the park,climbing up and jumping off stuff, playing in the woods, swimming etce whilst the jigsaw puzzles and toys were left at home, isn’t a problem, she’s much more into that stuff at two and three quarters now she understands them a bit better.

crankboy
    Free Member

Crankbrat at 18 months is really enjoying his mega blocks building good colour coded towers and naming the colours . He also loved the stacking cups . He likes his Thomas the tank engine battery train which he is learning to turn on and off . That’s the education sorted he also has an almost obsessive compulsive attachment to three die cast toy busses , at least he can say ” bus ” , a lot.

As has been said any toy is educational all develop physical skill or verbal . Don’t get the singing cookie jar shape sorter long before you get to take pleasure in your little geniuses achievement you want to take an axe to it .

nickc

cardboard box big enough to sit in

restless
    Free Member

shape sorters-n the cookie jar is a popular one.
    stacking cups and blocks are fab too.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Mega Bloks here and the kitchen utensils drawer!!

Vern0n
    Free Member

Er, what do you want to teach him?

Mini-Vern loves his big sis’s baby pushchair! And the Hoover ™, and anything with a cable (extension leads, hair dryers…) Stacking cups and shape sorters are great, megablocks, little tykes quad bike all good for 16/18 mo’s.
    But he really loves smashing offcuts of wood into walls / doors and putting toothbrushes down the loo!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

a dart board.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Have a look at AquaDoodle for painting- it is an impregnated sheet you “paint” with water and the colours come through and disappears when dry – no mess!!

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

nickc – Member
    cardboard box big enough to sit in

It’s true!! I remember the first christmas. I was all excited, little man was more interested in the boxes and wrapping paper…most gutted.

I’d agree with pans and stuff like that, we have spent a fair bit on toys and they don’t cut it.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Best toy my little one loves is a wooden spoon Mrs Mattzzzzzz put a face on called Bert

compositepro
    Free Member

Molgrips nail on the head

Ours is 18 months and must posess millions of child entertainment items, we cant move for them…..

However anything that is not pinned down or above head height it now seems is a target

Playdoh cured all our woes however

adjustablewench
    Free Member

mattzzzzzz – Member
    Have a look at AquaDoodle for painting- it is an impregnated sheet you “paint” with water and the colours come through and disappears when dry – no mess!!

My little boys had a thomas the tank engine version where you drew the track and the train followed it – when it dried you just drew a different route – the boys loved it

spacemonkey

Jigsaws and similar puzzles
    Magna Doodle (Mega Sketcher) – great for him to experiment with drawing but also for you to draw stuff that he can guess and learn from
    Picture books

This book is awesome. You’ll find yourself splashing out as little as £10-£20 on a bunch of Hobbycraft stuff but spending hours and hours making all kinds of shizzle; bugs, spacecraft, aliens, dinosaurs, farm animals, underwater scenes, etc. Awesome.

mrsflash
    Free Member

building blocks, shape sorters and a little trolley to push around were a hit here at that age.

mogrim

One of these:

(as also pointed out by mrsflash)

molgrips
    Free Member

Neither of my kids are that interested in building blocks, and the older (almost four) is only just getting good at lego.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Yeah like that, ours came with a load of building blocks in, just the right size for getting lost under the sofa.

mogrim

Yeah like that, ours came with a load of building blocks in, just the right size for getting lost under the sofa.

Building blocks not a problem; biscuits + chocolate, however… Still, that’s what dogs are for, right?

Trolleys can carry all sorts of things apart from building bricks, of course. Daddy’s car keys, wallet, the tv remote, a spilled cup of milk, etc. etc.

bullheart
    Free Member

A spaniel.

You’d be staggered at how interesting a toddler will find one of them.

Daffy

bullheart – Member
    A spaniel.

That’s a whole new can of worms!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Dadstrackworld – What educational toys for 16 month old?’ is closed to new replies.