Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dadstrackworld meningitis scare.
  • jimbobrighton
    Free Member

not a 24 hours I’d like to repeat.

at work last night, daughter has been off for a day or so, but suddenly spiked a temperature of 40.5c. Had to leave my (full) pub with 2 inexperienced staff and take them to hospital – they can’t get the temperature down with the usual stuff, and then get worried about her heart rate (208bpm!!). Then we start to find a couple of non blanching spots on her back and I’m starting to get a sick feeling in my stomach….

Registrar was careful not to use the M word initially, but when pushed she could rule it out and recommended big doses of IV antibiotics. Cue me holding her down while they get a canula in to take bloods and give her antibiotics. Spent the night in hospital, and temp came down, she was totally fine by 10am, and got sent home at lunchtime. now just about to go back for next round of antibiotics – this has to be repeated until the blood cultures are back to make sure any bacterial infection is killed.

couldn’t believe how frightening that was. we got home, put her to bed and had a cry.

Kids eh?

Hats off to the mega care we got from St Richards in Chichester. brilliant team who looked after us.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ex GF’s daughter had meningitis when she was 18, doctor came out & saw the signs & gave her loads of AB’s while waiting for the ambulance. She was really ill & it could have gone the wrong way had it not been for the initial diagnosis & treatment by the local Doc.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

We had the same with my little one a couple of years ago, wouldn’t sleep, massive temperature blotchy skin! took her to our local drop in centre and they rushed us by ambulance to the infirmary, she was treated for meningitis with antibiotics on a drip and did 4-5 days in hospital (wasn’t easy with my wife heavily pregnant with our second) but doctors were pretty sure it is a virus that mimics meningitis and scares them half to death aswel as us.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Crikey – I was almost reading that with deja-vu.

I had meningitis when 5 and I think Chichester was one of the hospitals I went to – I was in hospital for quite a while…

Still got indents in my head from the bore holes they had to drill (I am now 52).

andybanks
    Free Member

Had a scare with my son at 1 day old.

3 lumber punctures and a week on antibiotics on SCBU and it turned out to be a false alarm. Not a nice experience for him or us.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Can they anesthetize now for lumbar punctures – when I had mine I wasn’t given anything I think because of the fluids draining away if they did, or something like that.

I had memories of being held down whilst they did it into my 20s.

garage-dweller

Can I just say bravo for getting her to hospital and getting the medics on the case.

I had a flat mate at uni who nearly died from M.

All the best for t he recovery

andybanks
    Free Member

The only anesthetic for a 1 day old is sucrose solution. Felt for the poor little man.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The only anesthetic for a 1 day old is sucrose solution. Felt for the poor little man.

and 3 of them !

DrP

Hats off to YOU for recognising and acting promptly…

DrP

matt_outandabout

Horrible experience op, i am glad she is on the mend.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dadstrackworld meningitis scare.’ is closed to new replies.