Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Dads' Treasures
  • SaxonRider

A friend of mine sent me this article from the Art of Manliness, and it got me thinking about the treasures my own dad kept, and the ones I myself have.

After he died, I was looking at the stuff on my dad’s dresser, and the mere sight of a certain piece of jewellery he used to wear brought back a flood of memories. Now I wonder what of mine my kids will see and think of me.

Are you conscious of having store of ‘treasure’ in your dresser drawer? Is there anything you think of as particularly special? (Pics welcome. I would post my own, but I’m at work right now.)

In the meantime for me, it’s got to be my first watch, given to me by my parents when I was 5 or 6. In fact, I think I have kept pretty much every watch through the years, and continue to find them very evocative to look at.

brack
    Free Member

As an ‘older’ recent father to two lovely children – and having been left little or nothing from my own parents, this is something I give a lot of thought to.

Its also a bloody great excuse for going out and buying quality heirloom items..

:^))

tthew

When I approach my twighlight years, I’ll probably purchase a lovely 4m3 skip for my daughter to tip all my old shite into. Ahh, she’ll really appreciate my thoughtfulness. 😆

johndoh
    Free Member

I was going to treat myself to a Tag as a heirloom but as I am a dad to two girls I couldn’t justify it to myself and ended up buying a cheapo Citizen instead. Still, after 7 years it still works just as it did on the day I bought it and I haven’t had to send it away for expensive battery replacements or servicing 🙂

fasthaggis

My Dad’s old tools that I now have in the shed.He let my brother and I play at making stuff with them when we were kids,and then again with my kids.Some of the more worn out ones would have been his dads.They still get used and feel’just right’.

hairylegs
    Free Member

Like fasthaggis, it’s some of his old tools that I still have and use. Whenever I use them I can always picture him saying to me “if a job’s worth doing, it’s worth doing well.”

My Dad dies when I was a slightly rebellious early twentysomething and I wasn’t interested in emotional attachment to possessions. I think as we get older that grows and I now regret not having kept more of his stuff. Why and for what I don’t know other than to gather dust in the attic, but to occasionally evoke powerful memories.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I really don’t want anything from my dad.

… but on a cheery note… as long as a good friend keeps his promise to delete my browser history when I die my kids can have whatever they want that evokes memories, its kind of them, not me, that chooses an item to bring back memories.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Dads' Treasures’ is closed to new replies.