Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Dad's tell me tales to cheer me up.
  • slowjo
    Free Member

Yes they go bonkers…. hormones and all that. Imagine not being allowed to have any food in the house except potatoes for a month! If that isn't bonkers I don't know what is.

My nipper is 19 now and at university and we survived fine. Ignore the insults whether perceived or actual and get down and graft. You have done the easy bit, now you have to work like a team and it is hard. Then.. one day, little by little, shreds of your old life begin to re -emerge albeit subtly altered.

Oh yes, and have fun… kids can be great!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

too much of a doormat, I don't respect you anymore

Methinks said lady needs a good session of 'back door kicking in' action to level the odds!

TooTall
    Free Member

mrsflash – Member
    Oh and need constant reassurance that I do not actually look like whale, even though I feel like one

[wearyhusband]
    Yes dear
    [/wearyhusband]

(whales are lovely too)
    *runs away*

BigJohn

Practical Matt – sorry mate but I suspect your problem might be every bit as serious as you obviously suspect it to be.

My son is going through a similar situation. The nipper's now 5 months old and he's only been allowed to bring him round to meet us about 6 times – and they only live a couple of miles away.

Your first priority has to be your own happiness. Sounds harsh, but all other options end badly.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Your first priority has to be your own happiness. Sounds harsh, but all other options end badly.

Hmmmm, not sure I agree with that. When my missis was carrying my boy, and then in the early stages of looking after him when I was pretty useless, my first priority was looking after her and her happiness. For the 3 months before and about 3 months after it's time to man up and take a back seat. Making tea, hoovering, rubbing feet and drawing baths. That's your job.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Tootall, scary insight in to the current situation in the Flash house 🙂

Bream
    Free Member

My advice is MTFU and grow a thick skin, you'll need it!

Female hormones are totally crazy, no wonder all women are bonkers 😯

puppypower
    Free Member

Seems like a bit of a mean thing to say to me, even if her hormones are all over the place….maybe you should ask her what she wants you to do when she's being more rational??

(said by mad scary 5 days overdue preganant lady)

Don't worry mrs Flash…only 3-4 weeks to go, hahahahahaha….<ducks and waddles away from slightly less pregnant lady as fast as possible>

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice all, I was having one of those long dark nights of the soul at the time. Howvere Mrs PM has simered down now and we had a nice Sunday. I had comited the cardinal sin of cooking prawns and then not bleaching the sink to disapate the smell which was making her feel V'sick.

I think the heart of the issue though is her fear of us turning into her parents, which is whole new thread/can of worms.

Still she's invited her mates over on the weekend I'd penciled in to go away riding in a few weeks so we'll see how that turns out (clamps tin helmet on).

Thanks again.

brassneck

Thanks Muke, I now need a new keyboard after spitting a litre of coffee into it.

As Homer said – it's funny because it's true.

OP – she'll be batshit crazy for some time yet, just hang on in there.

odannyboy
    Free Member

matt,
    fwiw my wife is evil when pregnant. both times she was the same.nastry,vicious,sinical and all the time tired moody, cant sleep all of which just fueled the problem.
    some preggy women and friends she met at the same time said things like "i was sad when i actually gave birth,it was so nice being pregnant"
    my wife hated every minute of it and made sure the rest of the world shared her pain!
    the second the baby and placenta came out,bang back to her old self.
    she used to say things like "i feel you should go out im so angry, its best for both of us!"etc etc.

tonyd

OP – glad you seem to have got it sorted out. As hard as it seems it does get better. I'm fortunate that my missus didn't get the whole emotional rollercoaster thing for our first and seems to be the same for the second (22 weeks in), but as the realisation dawns that your life is about to change forever it can get very very scary.

The best advice I can give is that you both sit down regularly and talk about how you're feeling, sounds a bit airy fairy I know but it really does help you get through it. Most of the time it's probably some underlying fear that's making her snap, like how painful the birth will be, what the hell you do when you get home, etc etc that is triggered by your bad cooking. You must have a lot of worries too (I know I did), so by telling each other what they are you can help to alleviate each others worries and understand a little more about why you both behave the way do.

+1 for the ignoring all the websites, books etc (or at least taking them with a pinch of salt), find your own way. You'll be sick of every man and his dog offering advice soon enough (us here included!).

As for once the baby arrives, that's hard too! But wonderful also. The first few months for us was very hard as he was colicky (sp?) and wouldn't stop crying, if you need help don't be afraid or ashamed to ask for it. Friends/relatives with kids will all understand and be more than happy to help out here and there – take them up on it and go out for a meal and a film or something.

There will be times when you'll wonder what the hell you've done, but once he/she hits 3-4 months it'll all drop into place and will feel like they were always there. It'll still be tough but you'll start to see what it's all about.

Good luck!

mrsflash
    Free Member

PP now that could be a comedy race!

akira

It is all worth it, although sometimes it might not feel that way.
    Wait till one is chewing your phone while trying to walk backwards out the back door and the other is poking your LCD with a jam covered hand, I think this might be as good as it gets…….
    Ah you'll be fine.

ourmaninthenorth

Mrs North had a grim start to her pregnancy – severe morning sickness nearly put her in hospital.

She's fearful (as in scared sh*tless) of the birth process, her mother and grandmother both having had horrendous experiences (grandmother paralysed as a result).

But right now I'm in a hole (to be revealed another time) and she's been an absolute rock. Which is amazing, given she's due in 2 weeks (the day after mrsflash)….

I love Mrs North. She's ace.

😀

Dibbs
    Free Member

basically evrything I do is wrong and she's never happy when I'm around.
    Please does it get better?

24 years and still waiting here 😥

odannyboy
    Free Member

one other angle matt.with the NHS dont expect them to wait on you hand and foot. you will need to hassle doctors, nurses etc.if something seems wrong or odd, shout up!!it sadly is a case of who shouts lodest get the most attention.if someone is meant to "come back and see you in five min" once it gets to 6 or 7 mins go looking.its easy to be overlooked and this is one of the most inportant events in your life.ask questions of everyone and every procedure.
    (i may sound paranoid, but its based on history)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Moments like this make it ALL worth while imo!!

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Dad's tell me tales to cheer me up.’ is closed to new replies.