Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Dads. Building the nice 24" Wheeled MTB for your Kids – Crank info and Build
  • yossarian
    Free Member

Kind of on topic – has anyone taken a punt on the specialized riprock 24? Can’t decide if it’s a gimmick or a good idea.

qwerty
    Free Member

I picked a set of these up a while back for my lads bike but not fitted them yet – didn’t realise you could remove the rings.

How do you get them off?

Standard 5mm hex head = triple rings off and i fitted a SuperStar NW 30t ring instead, also used a shorter square taper BB to help out with chainline.

akira

Had a look at the Riprock but still a bit big for my two so blinging their 20″ bikes currently. Riprock looked like fun but I’d change the twist shift from a trigger and put some cheap hydraulic discs on it, maybe check the weight of the inner tubes as well.

BillOddie

I looked at the Riprock for my lad, it weighs 30lbs.

I ended up ordering the Saracen Mantra 2.4 that is apparently 23lbs, but it’s not arrived yet so I haven’t weighed it.

akira

Mantra 2.4 does look awesome, doubt it’ll quite be 23lbs but air forks, hydro, narrowide ring. Most kids bikes need a few upgrades but the Saracen looks good from the go.

BillOddie

I’ll be removing the post, stem and bars and giving them a weigh. I suspect it might be quite easy to lose some mass from those with minimal outlay.

23kg kids are prime candidates for the Light/Cheap shelf at CRC.

johnski15
    Free Member

poah – Member
    johnski15 – Member
    I’m currently in the process of sourcing some Alex ACE 24″ rims they are approx 400g
    I think you might struggle with that one.

POSTED 4 DAYS AGO # REPORT-POST

Got a contact for Alex in Germany he’s off out to Taiwan in March and has said he’ll bring me a pair back. Just getting the price sorted.

Cheers

akira

Boys 20″ now running bars stem combo from the spares box, figure wider bars and better tyres and brakes might make them a bit more usable in proper stuff as smaller wheels start to struggle a bit.

Rich_s

Got a contact for Alex in Germany he’s off out to Taiwan in March and has said he’ll bring me a pair back.

Hendrik? Did this last year with him. But factory was out of production and stock. He doesn’t know till he gets there – I had to pick another rim on the fly (got them no probs about a month later). Nice guy and very helpful.

zerolight
    Free Member

Looked at the riprock. In fact ordered it then cancelled it. Decided too heavy and also my soon to be 9yo is at the upper limits for 24″ bikes. I have a green Pinnacle Kauri 26 in the garage, boxed up till his birthday, with a short 40mm stem and superstar yellow lock ons with green rings. All set for mid April.

poah
    Free Member

I got mine from Hendrik in Germany, paid £30 posted for the pair. were abour 410g each and the wheels weighed in at 1705g (F800g, R905g) with DB spokes and superstar switch evo hubs ( Novatec D881SB front and D882SB). His current wheels are crests with D771/D772 hubs and DB spokes weigh in at ~1480g

neilforrow

johnski15 / poah; I’m in the market for some 24″ rims too. Could you send me Hendrik’s email over as I’d happly take a pair of rims off them.

Or group dadstrackworld24″rimbuyin.com?////??

Rich_s

On my final email to Hendrik I did say that there’s a good market for ace20s out there. Imagine if someone in the factory nailed together some 350g 24″ rims for 20 quid or so, they’d corner the market (stan’s being 80 quid apiece!).

FWIW I got the DP17 in 24h flavour, 43 ish euro delivered for the pair.

Rich_s

Hendrik.tafel@alexrims.com.tw

neilforrow

Cheers – I’ll email and let you know how I get on. They currently list 2 sub 400g 24″ rims on their site.

johnski15
    Free Member

Yep that’s the guy – we should import a s41t load of them and begin a business

BearBack
    Free Member

Looked through the Alex site for some 20’s. Their md25 shows as 350g in the youth section which would be great, but 440g in other sections. Plus it’s not available anywhere based on a Google search.
    I seem to remember I had issues finding Alex product last time before I ended up with a set of Deviants in 32h
    Would like some 25mm inner 20″ rims at 350g that’s for sure as I cannot find the 300g deviants anywhere now.

stevextc
    Free Member

I’ve never came across a post on the web that mentioned Shimano Zee’s as a possible set of cranks that you could physically shorten i.e. they are not hollow forged, and have enough AL to drill and tap for pedals – so you now have a choice of which cranks you can fit with a light BB.

Holy cow…. HT II here we come

captaindodd
    Free Member

What an inspiring thread! Top Dadding.

Has anyone done anything similar with a 20″ Wheel bike?

My lad is 6 in June and currently fancies a Hoy Bonaly 20, but this thread is making me wonder if there’s better options. (That charge frame would have been great!)

cookeaa

EBay/Gumtree is awash with 20″ wheeled bikes, giant/ridgeway/specialized/etc, search local (barely anyone wants to post a bike), set a budget limit and stick to it.

£50 got me a pink hotrock last year, I have done the following mostly from the spares bin:

-Front hub axle converted to QR, rear wheel Re-hubbed with claris 9speed (130 OLD), being able to whip the wheels off for mini road trips is invaluable.
    -Bars changed to cutdown EA30s.
    -Foam BBB Loc-ons
    -Avid FR7 (I think) brake levers, kept the original tektro V-brakes, fresh pads they’re pretty effective brakes.
    -A velo VL5062, kids specific saddle which I was quite impressed with.
    -9speed 12-30 HG50 cassette
    -Tiagra mech
    -Initially I fitted an LX shifter, she didn’t get on with it, so I found a SRAM rocket halfpipe Gripshift on fleabay for pennies and she’s much happier.
    -New BB
    -I pulled apart, cleaned and lubed, then took a spring out of the Suntour fork to try and achieve some sort of useful function, but they’re still too stiff.

Still to do:

I have some cheap old cranks ready for shortening (already got the drill/taps) just need to get round to actually doing it. And a 30t N/W ring…
    And I’ll be getting some better tyres eventually, spesh stock ones are OK still, more volume might improve longer ride comfort (whinge) factor…

This bike is currently being used by My 7.5 old, her younger sister will inherit it so it’s a pretty worthwhile investment and will probably come up cost neutral in the long term despite not being an isla…

I am keeping an eye on these threads and local ads for the next bike in the chain (24″)…

Question for the collective;

How deeply held is the opinion that their first 24″ bike should have discs? It’s one of the appeals of the carerra blast/lunacy/detonator/solo frames but I am not sure my eldest’s riding will ever quite demand discs, maybe when she’s 26″ sized, but I have noticed carerra also do some kids 24″ hybrid bikes with aluminium frames, which look like they’d maybe still clear a 2.0″ tyre and work out lighter given the same parts bin treatment…

stevextc
    Free Member

I have some cheap old cranks ready for shortening (already got the drill/taps) just need to get round to actually doing it. And a 30t N/W ring…

Just do it …. it’s actually 30 minutes at a leisurely work pace…
    The first pair I did took much longer but really only because I’d decided this was much harder than it is.

Just drill really slowly…. or the alloy melts.(and you don’t want that on the last drill).. and the last (13mm) is tricky when its comes out but I just clamped the cranks to a piece of spare wood

How deeply held is the opinion that their first 24″ bike should have discs?

It probably depends where you live and what you ride.
    For me it was very important as I hate hearing a slightly off wheel rub pads and our local trails are made of abrasive powder (sand) with glue..(really sticky mud) .. as the single track got more serious it was a constant battle to keep the wheels true and clearance for the rim brakes and adjust the lever pull… (and taking the wheel off meant undoing the cable or deflating the wheel anyway)
    His riding has just got more and more serious of course you never know before hand…but its not something you can easily change later without a wheel rebuild and some way to attach them to the frame.

In retrospect … absolutely in our location and riding!

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Dads. Building the nice 24" Wheeled MTB for your Kids – Crank info and Build’ is closed to new replies.