Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Dado rail….
  • ahsat

Massive dilemma…1900 terrace. Dado rail has been fitted by the previous owner in the last 7 years, in several rooms. I’m not a massive fan of it, though as the ceilings are high, the rooms can take it. Remove for a modern finish, or leave as it is to save risk of damage to the plaster etc? Rooms just need a bit of repair and redecorating, not wholesale refurb.

BFITH
    Free Member

Ditch it – it has no place in modern living! 😀

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Nothing to add other than; when in was about 19-20 in was at my aunties when she had some work done at her house and she asked the carpenter chap for a dildo rail fitting… hence forth, in my family, we’ve always called them that

chrispy

We removed ours when we moved into our new house – was a bit of a mistake as it meant that the room had to have the old wallpaper removed then be repapered, painted etc as there was an obvious gap where the rail was. Not ideal the week before Christmas. That said, it looks 100% better without.

tjagain

Did the house originally have dado rails? I restored a 1920s house once that had been modernised in the 70s. I put back in the picture rails and dado rails that had been removed – you could see the marks in the plaster where they had been and it looked a lot better afterwards.

It all depends if it is in keeping with the rest of the house

ahsat

I’ve no idea it it did have them before. In the pictures of the house before the guy before us did it up, it doesn’t look like it. However there is one short section in the hall which looks like its older than the rest of the other pieces.

In some respects they do suit the house as the rooms aren’t that big, so they do break up the tall walls. Wish the guy had done a better job of sticking them on as one is a bit wonky! I think it will probably all look better when we repaint the everything anyway as it all looks tired.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Dado rail….’ is closed to new replies.