Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Dad 101
  • pt0608
    Free Member

So I’m sat here, it’s just gone 11 and the wife is asleep.

On my chest is my new baby daughter, 2 days old. It seems she only likes sleeping in the “frog” position. So far, she hasn’t been too excited about her Moses basket!

Anyway, Dads out there, what’s your 1 tip for a noob?

andyl
    Free Member

enjoy the quiet sleepy moments and remember them when the going gets tough or she does a stinky nappy! She’ll be going out on the town all dressed up with her friends in no time!

Congratulations on the new addition 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Enjoy it while they’re relatively simple to deal with 😉

Make sure you have a good pacing route with no squeaky floorboards – you’re going to be doing a lot of walking up and down with the thing.

matt_outandabout

Enjoy it.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Newborns are easy. It’s when they become mobile you have to worry.

Get them used to noise asap, our lot will sleep through a nuclear war.

Take loads of pics as they will be questioning everything you say/ask before you know it.

mrsi
    Free Member

Get one of those big inflatable gym ball things, sitting on one of them and bouncing makes a good alternative to pacing about and it means you can sit and work your way through stacks of terrible films to keep you going through the small hours. That and a netflix subscription got me through the first month or so!

pt0608
    Free Member

Newborns are easy

Gulp.

I suppose it has been relatively easy so far. It’s working out what she’s trying to say that’s the hard bit. I suppose it’s technically only one of 3 things.

chip
    Free Member

Dungarees,

chojin
    Free Member

Ours wouldn’t sleep anywhere but on us for the first 6 weeks, it was tough! I’ve never experienced sleep deprivation like it.
    Still, it goes all too quickly and you’ll soon have a fight just to get some cuddles!

Congrats bud. Grab sleep where you can 🙂

pt0608
    Free Member

Thanks all. 😀

Those dungarees look useful!

hot_fiat

Take some stupid composed photos in the next five or so days. You can do what you like and they’ll sleep through:

pt0608
    Free Member

Nice one hot_fiat, that’s awesome!

That’s tomorrow’s activity sorted.

tonyg2003

Fanatastic. All too suddenly they will only be talking to you via Facetime and to busy playing Xbox to what to interact with you. Enjoy the purity of these early moments.

Garry_Lager

Never fall asleep yourself if they’re kipping on your chest and you’re on the couch, say – easily done if it’s 4am and you’re red-eyed with sleep deprivation.

enzee199
    Free Member

Newborns are easy. It’s when they become mobile you have to worry.

I’d second that. Newborns are in the main very easy. No need to re-arrange furniture or anything like that. You can even get away with going to a restaurant and other things. Not at two though!

Only piece of advice is – enjoy

TiRed

Babies can cry for 26 minutes for no reason. If you have checked each end, temp and the other suspects, there is nothing wrong.

Davidian
    Free Member

I’m 7 months in….

Whatever it is…not sleeping, too much pooping, not enough pooping, too much crying, not eating etc etc……it very probably just a phase.

Oh, and always remember that they’re **** awesome!!!!!

hatter

You will be tired… you won’t care
    You won’t have any time… you won’t care
    You won’t have any money… you won’t care.

As for people who say ‘oh wait til they start moving’ well for me that was the best bit because that’s when the personality started coming out and he’s just got funnier and funnier ever since.

He’s getting a baby sister any day now, can’t wait.

Pridds

Enjoy it when it’s good, be there for each other when it’s shit and sleep any opportunity you can.

JoeG
    Free Member

thegreatape
    Free Member

Clearing Baby’s Nose – whoops 😳

rwamartin
    Free Member

Ten Minute Rule. Babies cry as per TiRed above. Put them down. Walk away. Shut the door. Have a cup of tea and time for yourself. If they’re still crying 10 minutes later, check and repeat. That 10 minutes can be a lifesaver when you’re totally knackered. I understand why babies get shaken/battered. It’s not necessarily lack of love, it’s lack of being able to cope and time for yourself can give that breathing space.

Use real nappies – dead easy.

Don’t pick your nose after you’ve changed a nappy.

Babies are much more resilient than we give them credit for.

Don’t listen to any advice. You’ll get constantly changing opinions and you won’t know your a*se from your elbow. Do your own thing and you won’t go wrong.

Time flies. Enjoy it. There’s always another day for painting the skirting boards.

Get plenty of cute/embarrassing photos to use as a bit of an “incentive” regarding getting then to coming round to your way of thinking when they get to 15.

bigad40
    Free Member

1st child was brilliant,
    2 weeks bed and breakfast in Dorset.
    5weeks short holiday in Brugge.
    He fitted in with us and we can take him anywhere.
    2nd child complete nightmare, happy with nothing.
    Loudest scream in the world, but falls asleep in moving car, many midnight drives.
    But I wouldn’t change anything.
    Can’t wait to get home and see them.

bigad40
    Free Member

Meant to say congratulations!
    Being a Dad is the coolest thing I have ever done!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

If you are constantly wondering if you are doing it correctly, you probably are.
    If you think you’re the perfect parent you are probably not.

Enjoy every second it goes soooo fast, our eldest was born a couple of years ago, he’s now 17! 😯

EDIT: if you are fed up with them not sleeping wait until they hit their teens you’ll be fed up that the don’t wake up.

jamj1974

Congratulations OP.

My one tip for now is – enjoy the moment. Time goes so fast.
    A tip for all your parenthood is – take lots of video clips
    Another one is – give them the same opportunities regardless of gender. So many people still offer different opportunities to their sons and daughters…

Houns

eBay, whilst it’s still small. You’ll get more for it

crankboy
    Free Member

Ignore all advise unless it works for you and your partner. Give each other plenty of room to parent differently . At the newborn stage be particularly tolerant and supportive of each other you are likely to both be tired and often anxious .

Learn the phrase it’s just a phase.

Enjoy every day becomes the best day ever.

Oh and congratulations.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

My tip…

Baby grows have a wide neck. This facilitates removal from the top down, over the shoulders. Very useful when you don’t want to undo the poppers and remove over the head.

Not going into more details why, but one day you will find it useful!

Congrats, enjoy!

I found the newborn stage really difficult. He’s awesome fun now, 2 this month.

sandwicheater

Congrats sir!!!

Just go with the flow, you’ll learn the hard way which is the best way.

Take good care of your Mrs.

DO take lots of silly photos per hot fiat, genius!!

bikemike1968
    Free Member

The first six weeks or so are tough – you give, give, give and all you get in return is vomit, screaming, poo and wee.
    But then, at some point soon your smile at them – and they smile back. At that point your heart melts and you forgive everything (until they next pee in your eye (if you have a boy, with girls it just goes everywhere)).

seadog101

Took me back 12 and 18 years…

Bit dusty in here isn’t it?

Enjoy, relax and sleep when you can, take turns with Mrs pt0608

bencooper
    Free Member

Is anyone else going down JoeG’s list and ticking things off?

neilco
    Free Member

Enjoy but don’t be smug about the good stuff, don’t stress the bad stuff too much. Everything is a phase and will change.

HughStew

Lock her in a tower now, so she’ll never know anything else, don’t let her grow her hair.
    Saves so much trouble later on.

WillH

My No1 tip would be to not get too precious about light and noise when she’s asleep. If she gets used to dark and silent conditions to get to sleep, you’re ****! Can’t take her anywhere that’s not ‘perfect’. If she can learn to sleep if it’s a bit lighter/darker than normal, or if there’s a bit of noise going on, life will be much, much easier for you…

pt0608
    Free Member

Thanks all. Reassuring to know my feeling of “what the hell do I do” is totally normal.

Didn’t get to sleep till 6 last night. For some reason she hates her basket at night. Now? Sleeping peacefully in her basket.

I enjoyed those dos and donts!

woody2000

I’m on number 3, he’s 5 months old. My only tip would be “don’t have any more”! 😉

1 child you’re a parent, more than 1 you’re a referee 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Reassuring to know my feeling of “what the hell do I do” is totally normal.

I still remember leaving the hospital and thinking “wait, they’re actually letting us walk out of the building with a baby?”

The feeling of not knowing what the hell you’re doing never entirely goes away 😉

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Don’t be a dick to your wife……EVER!!!

Driving round at 4am to get the baby to go to sleep works wonders (as does a loud CD)

Download a white noise app, works a charm and ours sleeps 12 hours a night

Sleepless nights are temporary and she’ll surprise you with how well she can sleep

Sleep when she does

Screw the cleaning, it’s not important

Don’t listen to other peoples “sage advice” if you don’t like the sound of it. Nobody, regardless what they think, is an expert

Steer clear of Mumsnet

Congratulations, it’s great isn’t it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Dad 101’ is closed to new replies.