• This topic has 18 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • DAB radio that plugs into cig lighter/aux help/recommendations
  • hora
    Free Member

Are they all created equal?

Do I need an additional aerial

Ideally I want a cheap one, low on features with aerial/great signal to plug into the aux on my stereo.

sadexpunk

i was after exactly the same thing and found dabonwheels to be great to deal with.

they let you test products with a no quibble returns policy if it doesnt work, and were good at answering my questions by email. i tried glass mounted aerials but they werent good enough, and in the end i plumped for a little ‘clarity’ dab unit which plugs into my aux, then i trail a 5m magnetic aerial lead to the aerial which i keep on the hatch.

this is far tidier than seeing a lead coming out the top of a door and to the middle of the roof.

unfortunately it looks like they dont sell the clarity unit any more, but theres still a few options on that site. think i spent about £70 all in and worth every penny to listen to 6 music every day 😀

hora
    Free Member

6 music is the only channel that I want this for 8)

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’m very impressed with the PURE highway I have. Occasionally looses signal near pylons but very rarely.

tonto
    Free Member

I use a sonichi gizmo from halfords, works a treat

hora
    Free Member

On these ^ do I need to buy an aerial ontop?

tthew

I’ve got the Sonichi one too. Yes you need an extra aeriel. Mine’s clamped to the inside of my van high up where it works fine 99% of the time. The tiny co-ax plug into unit isn’t very secure, when it occasionally falls out the signal reduces by 50 to 70% I reckon.

It doesn’t plug into the Aux, you tune one of your radio presets to it, which works very well. And can I also recommend,

Radio 4
    XFM
    Some of the Absolute stations.

for those times when 6 Music is a bit shit. Mainly when Mary Anne Hobbs is on.

edit – Just remembered, the most annoying thing about mine is the ugly and bulky suction mount cradle that comes with it. I’d like to try and find a different way to mount it and that would put me off buying another.

sadexpunk

this ones mine. itll either tune into a radio preset, or work standalone when you press aux. but its noticeably louder as an aux output than preset radio.

out of stock at dabonwheels, but may be found elsewhere possibly?

hora
    Free Member

Sadexpunk off on a tangent but theres a full unit/aerial here. I could stick my nearly new Pioneer normal one on fleabay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111237812078

This looks ok? Costwise I might as well just do the h/unit and avoid clutter

jkomo

I got this:
    http://www.ijtdirect.co.uk/dab2/