Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • DAB & cd player for small room?
  • rOcKeTdOg

Need a unit that can pick up digital radio & play CDs with good sound for a 12ftx12ft room so doesn’t need to be massively powerful. Out of touch with HiFi these days so what’s good?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Just, you know – what I always say… 😉

Bimbler
    Free Member

Denon DM39

jairaj

Depends on your budget but the Denon DM39 is a very good choice if it fits the budget.

rOcKeTdOg

I notice you can buy unit only, how can I tell if it would have enough power to drive my current speakers?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

+1 for the DM39. Run mine with Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom speakers.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Here’s the Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom spec, see if they compare with your existing speakers –

Sensitivity (db/w/m) 87
    Dimensions (hwd, cm) 30x17x22
    Impedance (ohms) 8
    Max power handling (watts) 50
    Standmount Yes
    Biwirable No
    Floorstander No

jairaj

The spec say the amplifier is rated at 30W @ 6 ohms per channel which is fine for driving an average speaker at reasonable listening levels. Unless your speakers are a particularly hard load it should be fine.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In my study I run a Marantz MCR603 through some Monitor Audio Bronze speakers. Lovely sound, great little unit. Does CD, DAB, FM, interwebz and can take an Aux line in. Very pleased with it.

Oh, and re cables, I use directional cabling braided from unicorn’s pubes.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Came here to say DM39! I was so impressed with the one connected to my TV i bought another one for my bedroom.

rOcKeTdOg

Specs for my mission 760i

closure Type: 2 way bass reflex
    Drivers: 1 x 130mm bass/midrange | 1 x 19mm dome tweeter
    Frequency response: 70Hz to 20kHz ±2.5dB
    Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohms
    Sensitivity: 89dB
    Recommended amplifier: 25 to 75 watts

jairaj

yep should work fine with your speakers.

alanf
    Free Member

Denon RCD N8 CEOL does digital radio and CD but also does streaming, if that’s your thing and has an iPod doc, again if that’s your thing for a similar price I believe.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The little Denon systems seem to have had decent amps in for years, decades even.

A shop in London used to sell such a system driving LS3/5as and they aren’t particularly tolerant of lower powered solid state amps.

qtip

Slight hijack – I’m also looking for a DAB with CD player, but in a single unit with speakers. Any suggestions up to £300?

By the way, it’s not for me – I’d definitely go down the separates route, it’s a xmas present for someone that insists on a single unit.

freddyg
    Free Member

The Marantz thing mentioned up there ^^^ is on offer in Richer Sounds for £299; it’s an all in one unit, but you’ll need to purchase speakers too.

nedrapier

qtip – there was a Yamaha one that caught my eye for a bit (I ended up with a DM39 and Q Acoustic 2010i’s)

All in one bookshelf thing, speakers were attached and detachable.

MCR 042/142? Might be newer variants. Lots of colours and pretty good reviews.

qtip

Thanks for that, looks ideal.

Sandwich

Oh, and re cables, I use directional cabling braided from unicorn’s pubes.

Couldn’t afford the best ones then?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

He’s not really a rich numbskull, he just wants you to think he is… 😉

twistedpencil

Got the Yamaha TSX-130 in the kitchen, good sound quality for what it is. CD, DAB, FM, IPod dock, USB, no line in though. It’s a few years old now but suspect they do something similar.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

The Mrantz unit again, only drawback is lack of wi-fi for internet radio, but it’s a1

dobo
    Free Member

what is CD?

ok i do still buy them but i dont play them..

ripped to flac and pulled from server to amp and controlled by nexus or phone isnt it…

DAB?
    internet radio all the dayz long init? 😉

tinribz
    Free Member

Onkyo CR55DAB

With a pair of bargain Wharfdale Diamond 9.0s

Or look at some of the Pioneer mini hifis

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘DAB & cd player for small room?’ is closed to new replies.