Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • DAB car radio cut outs
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

There are a couple of areas near me where my car radio cuts out for 100m or near junc 10 M25 for about 300m. I just wondered if anyone knew what caused that to happen?

jam-bo

S:N ratio.

get a bigger antenna.

StuF

My dab drops out a lot more if I’ve got my phone charging in the car

perchypanther
    Free Member

Your car feels sorry for you.

It’s having a minutes silence because you’re near London.

It’s probably pining for the fjords.

daver27
    Free Member

DAB radio has more pronounced drop offs than normal radio. i have places where it goes dead in the same place every day. its just what they do.

somouk
    Free Member

Mine does it in a couple of places and being digital it has the signal or not so goes silent where an FM would have just had more interference.

Is it a proper in car DAB fitted by the manufacturer or a home fit jobbie? if the latter then consider a proper DAB aerial fitted to one of the rear windows.

codybrennan
    Free Member

StuF – Member
    My dab drops out a lot more if I’ve got my phone charging in the car

So did mine, and then I changed the USB charger for a different (more expensive) type, bought it from Aldi. Now no problems.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Perhaps I should expand….its not a loss of signal due to geographical issues, I believe its interference causing me to lose the signal, as its doesn’t matter what radio station I’m on. Its the same in the wife’s car.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

In my car if it looses DAB signal it automatically switches to the FM version and then switches back to DAB when signal is back

Cougar

In my car if it looses DAB signal it automatically switches to the FM version and then switches back to DAB when signal is back

Fine if you’re listening to Radio 1, not so much if you’re listening to DAB-only stations.

(Why would you want it to switch back to DAB if it’s available on FM anyway?)

StuF

@codybrennan
    thanks – might have to steal the charger from the wife’s car

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

There are a couple of areas near me where my car radio cuts out for 100m or near junc 10 M25 for about 300m. I just wondered if anyone knew what caused that to happen?

there will be some dead zones for DAB that you won’t be able to do anything about. Compared to driving with FM they’re few and far between in my experience. Where I don’t get DAB there’s no FM either (deep in the hills of Wales or Cubria. Banks of Scottish lochs. About a mile on the A303)

elliptic
    Free Member

I believe its interference causing me to lose the signal, as its doesn’t matter what radio station I’m on.

DAB works by multiplexing different stations together into one combined digital signal – the receiver demodulates the whole lot and then picks out the data stream for whichever station you actually want to listen to. So it could be localised interference, but doesn’t rule out just being a dead spot in the coverage.

wwaswas

near junc 10 M25 for about 300m.

That’s about an hours ‘driving’ then 🙁

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘DAB car radio cut outs’ is closed to new replies.