Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • D30 armour for DH? particularly bluegrass stuff
  • kimbers

lots of choice out there these days

the forcefield stuff looks like my favourite,

but id like to get some feedback from anyone thats used/ crashed in the Bluegrass Grizzly one as i like the look of it

cheers

grum
    Free Member

Don’t know much about this D30 stuff – it says it ‘hardens on impact’, presumably that doesn’t mean it’s then screwed does it?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

No. Its thixotropic so it reacts to force by stiffening, but returns to its original state when the force is removed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Was there not a review in the mag of D30 type stuff last year. Seem to recall a x hits and it’s useless line in there somewhere

dantsw13

Well if so, that will depend on X.

X=3 bad
    X=2000 wonderful!!

dantsw13

Well if so, that will depend on X.

X=3 bad
    X=2000 wonderful!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Back in Singletrack 59 – the one with the bad half time show they did a group test of some D30 stuff, my internet is on the go slow so the words aren’t coming up but if you take a look back

hexhamstu
    Free Member

No. Its thixotropic so it reacts to force by stiffening, but returns to its original state when the force is removed.

Thixotropic would suggest that they become less viscous when agitated. D30 is a dilatant, a shear thickening non-newtonian fluid.

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

Highly recommended! Such a great product which utilises its material with such efficiency.

cookeaa

I’ve got D30 in my knee pads, I’m told its a non-newtonian polymer, seems to work OK, but TBH I’m not sure how you go about establishing its actual effectiveness compared to just any old lump of rubber foam.

So far I’ve never noticed this stiffening under impact effect, but then I suppose I’m not meant to notice it…

It’ll probably work in body armour, but I’d personally still want foam backed hard plastic shells for spine protection though…

HTH…

Del

mate mentioned something about washing this stuff too. i tried to investigate. when you look at the d30 site it says if you can remove the material from the kit, do so. if you have CE marked stuff, read the instructions. otherwise, refer to our ‘care and handling’ section. which, err, i couldn’t find. 😕
    actually there was a thread on here a while back, now i come to think about it?

kimbers

i see stw has just got the bluegrass vest in

im really interested in the tee though as ive landed on my shoulder a few times in my 661 assault suit

ahwiles
    Free Member

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Thixotropic would suggest that they become less viscous when agitated. D30 is a dilatant, a shear thickening non-newtonian fluid.

granted, but thixotropic is widely used as a term to refer to materials that change properties under stress in the same way “alloy” is widely used to refer to aluminium alloy.

Except by marketing men, who can find far more words than “shear thickening non-newtonian fluid” to describe their product. G form claim to be “the first flexible, molded, exoskeleton rate-dependent impact pad worn on the outside of the sleeve”.

I dont have any of the D3O stuff, but my G-form are far more user friendly than my POC VPD, the G form pads can be machine washed whereas the POC stuff is high maintenance, and more dependent on temperature to stay soft (has to be worn next to body).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘D30 armour for DH? particularly bluegrass stuff’ is closed to new replies.