Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • D of E equipment- best cash vs weight
  • jkomo

Recomendations for kit that’s cheap, light, and decent (I know, I know).
    Found s Hi Gear 65l rucksack for £20, or is it likely to be 4x more worse than an £80 one.
    I have no idea.
    Also need warm and light and packable sleeping bag and mat.
    Also want it to last and be used for car camping and festival duties.

Cougar

Decathlon do good, cheap rucksacks. Might be worth a look?

Hi Gear stuff is often a false economy – I’ve thrown out more Gellert / Hi Gear kit than I care to think about.

cynic-al
    Free Member

As you imply….cheap, light, durable, compact…pick 1?

A £20 rucsac is not going to last.

You’re gonna have to spend more than the bare minimum, how much is up to you.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Decathlon every time.

I bought my kids their day packs as school bags a couple of years ago knowing that they’d trash them – they still look as good as new.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Check sports pursuit for a rucksack.. Bought a 4F rucksack for £25 not long ago and its actually ok. There were some good deals on POD rucksacks too on the pod website.
    Alpkit for sleeping bag and mattress

crankboy
    Free Member

It is very likely to be 10 x worse. A rucksack needs to fit your back distribute weight comfortably be easy to take off and put on plus hold all your gear securely and keep the weather out . Quite frankly if you are doing the DofE then the comfort of your rucksack will make all the difference.

ampthill

Ignore the price

But do try the bag with a load

bones
    Free Member

Does the pack need to be 65l?

matt_outandabout

Decathlon or Vango for specific outdoor gear like tents and sleeping bags.

Can you borrow stuff? You can often borrow lighter and better, in return for some chocolate or cake 🙂

Don’t forget baselayers – they are much better than t-shirts, and with some long leggings will ‘boost’ a less good / lighter sleeping bag. Cheap, thin fleeces are uber cheap at TKMaxx usually (ignore the brand).

Buy light waterproofs – its amazing how many people turn up in be-pocketed, heavy waterproofs.

OR

Go and find it second hand – Outdoor Gear Exchange on Facebook is OK, but be fussy, as there is some crap that is overpriced on there.

matt_outandabout

Oh, and think long and hard about food and what you *really* need to take.

If you don’t plan on using it, you don’t need it ‘in case’.

You don’t need hairbrushes, deoderant, books, phone (and charger 🙄 ), a spare cotton hoody, a towel etc etc.

Food can often be a huge load.

joshvegas
    Free Member

phone (and charger )

You wot?

Howdoes one hashtag ones selfies onto twitter etc?!

matt_outandabout

😆

I even had one lad unpack a portable DVD player on kit check before an assessment….

duckman

Your LA have kit stores with packs,bags etc all available for rent.
    I will see your DVD and raise you an electric hairdryer.

aracer
    Free Member

We did a hut to hut ski tour a few years ago. I had a 45L pack, mrs aracer had one of my 30L MM packs. Other folks with 65L packs. I probably had more useful safety gear – other people were carrying rubbish like that (one woman had a handbag 🙄 )

The strange thing though is that when I did DofE I had a 65L pack and filled it. Can’t help feeling it would have been a lot more enjoyable if I’d carried half the amount of kit. But then I went out for an evening run up a mountain (carrying a 20L pack) a few weeks ago and probably covered about as much ground as we used to do in a DofE day.

boxelder

Wilkinsons do a decent looking gas stove for £8 – copy of an MSR pocket rocket, though for D of E a Trangia is hard to beat.

Spin
    Free Member

We got some Vango Sherpa rucksacks for our school dofe groups and after maybe 10 uses they are starting to come apart at the seams.

Basil

Snugpak for bag
    Thermarest Z Lite for mat

footflaps

I’d try and borrow stuff.

midlifecrashes

My Tesco rucksack is going strong 10 years down the line, cost me about £30, around 60L.

Shame they didn’t repeat their down sleeping bag though, always first to be grabbed in our house, small, light, warm and cheap.

That Wilko stove looks good, I have a similar unbranded one, never failed me. I’d rather have screw on gas stove and some decent foil for a windbreak than a trangia unless weight and availabilty of fuel was a huge deal, assuming warmish weather.

But yes, borrow for a one off trip. Whereabouts are you, we have a ton of stuff here?

grantway
    Free Member

Rucksacks are a try and buy and size would depend on kit,
    Stoves would depend on type of foods and then a choice of fuels.
    I have both fuels and if solo I use a Zelph Starlyte and weighs in at 14grams
    But a small gas pocket Rocket or an Alpkit would probably be best route
    Put together with an Alpkit multipot 900 is great for drinking and eating out of.

Sleeping bag rating and weight would depend on where you are going to use it
    Sleeping mat I use the MultiMat super light 25 it’s self inflating with an high R rating

Stainypants

Karrimor Z mat copy, costs £10, weighs nothing, wont puncture. Slept on one like a rock on one on Kinder -4C ealier this year.

jkomo

Thanks for the suggestions. He’s the first in the family to do D of E so I just don’t know what to expect. How good the sleeping bag needs to be etc (what the extremes of temperature will be) . I don’t mind buying new cos it’ll get used for regular car camping.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sleeping bags really depends on what time of year, also depends on how tall and how much growing is left. A nice 3 season down is great for most UK stuff in you have a bit of toughness for winter. A self inflating matt is miles better than any foam mat.

Last time I did anything like that managed in a 55l bag for 3 days including 10l of water (there was no water on the route at all) That was with a nice light 2 man tent split between 2 and food/stoves split.
    Trangiers may be good but they are slow and you end up with bottles of meths, a stable small gas stove will be quicker with a pan set.

Rucksack fit is king but also if still grownng it becomes harder to get one to last.

MoreCashThanDash

Seem to recall there were rules about what you had to carry on DoE that made 65l rucksacks a necessity? Been a few threads discussing how it needed to modernise itself, don’t know if it did.

I had to choose between Scouts or DoE as a kid, stuck with Scouts but think I missed out a little, despite all I did with Scouts. Always admire those little lines of ants with waterproof orange rucksack covers yomping up distant Derbyshire hills from March onwards. Seem to be predominantly girls nowadays as well.

richmars

Which level?
    Unless it’s changed in the last 35 years (likely I guess) Bronze and Silver don’t need huge ruck sacks, Gold maybe. Depends if your child is planning on doing all three.

martinhutch

What I would advise is going to decathlon or go outdoors with an equivalent amount of weight to the kit list, then actually trying each rucksack loaded. Picking one which fits the shoulder and back shape of your kid can make the difference between a few days of purgatory and a much better experience.

onehundredthidiot

Kids usually have 65l bags, they carry loads of stuff, but then they haven’t really learnt/understood what the need. My bergen I usually 45l when supervising/assessing.

Did have a kid turn up with a spare tent once.

meikle_partans
    Free Member

Worth bearing in mind that if you buy a decent rucksack it might get good use in a few years time if the young un heads off travelling or on a gap year, so it might be worth buying a half decent one.

sharkbait
    Free Member

OP, we were in the same position a few months ago with eldest daughter. We borrowed a rucksack and bought a vango sleeping bag as the one she had only went down to about 8C!
    Re the sleep mats I ended up buying a s/h thermarest on ebay and a new Alpkit Numo then gave her the choice. Numo won and she said it was very comfy.
    Re stoves, I was prepared to buy her a rocket or similar but in the end she used the provided meths stove as it turned out that, because you do things as a team, you should share a stove. She said it was fine.
    Keen it simple and as cheap as possible – being warm. dry and comfy are the most important things – a cheap rucksack really may not help.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Don’t whatever you do get a down bag for someone on D of E. They’ll get it wet and they’ll be miserable.

Some of the stuff Onehundredthidiot’s charges used to take and indeed leave at their arses was ridiculous.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We borrowed a rucksack and bought a vango sleeping bag as the one she had only went down to about 8C!

Depend on the time of year, no point taking a bulky 3 season bag if it’s Mid august and 13C overnight. I’ve Bivi’d with just the bag in summer, just find a nice bit of long grass/heather that’ll insulate sufficiently.

I don’t remember the kit list being particularly onerous, but the hired kit was quite heavy and bulky, big thick polyester sleeping bags, heavy tents, thick foam mats*, trangia etc.

*don’t forget that foam mats are typically half the weight of a thermarest, they’re just bulky.

Sui
    Free Member

Packing a bergen correctly is really important – are they getting taught how to do this?

I know it’s a hang up from Army days, but things like pre-talced spare socks each in individual wterproof bags (food bags) tucked away, heavy stuff at the bottom, but make sure warm kit (fleece) and waterproof is easily accesable at the top. Be good to have a dry bag in there as well, with the sleeping bag in a separate one. Bergen cover is essential, not just for keeping stuff dry, but it will help keep weight down when it gets sodden.

Avoid stuff “hanging off”, it’s annoying when moving. Fold/Roll all clothes up – don’t just stuff – an oversized load will hurt the back no matter how good the bergen is. Get an inflatable roll mat, i know they are no lighter than a foam thing, but they are far more comfortable. Keep loose straps tapped up as well, they will swing around, catch an eye or get caught Don’t get an ex-military one, whilst they are very good -they are very heavy and not particularly good for long distances.

footflaps

If you wear clothes in a sleeping bag it makes a big difference, so assuming they will be vaguely dry under their waterproofs, a thick fleece will add 5-10 degrees to a sleeping bag rating.

The single biggest factor I’ve found, to how warm / cold you sleep, is a good meal at dinner!

Sui
    Free Member

If you wear clothes in a sleeping bag it makes a big difference, so assuming they will be vaguely dry under their waterproofs, a thick fleece will add 5-10 degrees to a sleeping bag rating.

General consensus is to utilise the sleeping bag without wearing too many clothes down to the rating ti’s intended, it’s something i certainly noticed on long very cold nights whilst pi55 wet through on the hills, it seems counter-intuitive, but it does work, The warm air needs to circulate within the bag to be fully effective, but by all accounts keep some clothing inside the bag (fleece trousers, socks) for when you wake up.

matt_outandabout

Depend on the time of year, no point taking a bulky 3 season bag if it’s Mid august and 13C overnight

Depends

One of my Highland DofE trips was snowing in August and -3….

Where is OP doing the trip?

freeagent
    Free Member

Cotswold outdoor do a range of ‘DofE approved’ kit.
    I’m not suggesting you dash out and buy it all there, but it might be worth a look to see what you should be looking for elsewhere..?
    Decathlon is a good call – and you can try the rucsac on.

I’m a DofE expedition assessor for Scouts – You’d be amazed at some of the crap kids bring – walking in Jeans is a good example, or big heavy waterproof jackets in the summer. tins of food is another good one.

onehundredthidiot

On the day they return get them to take stuff out of bag, making two piles. What I used and what I didn’t. That’ll help with next time.

matt_outandabout

Cotswold outdoor do a range of ‘DofE approved’ self promoted kit by manufacturers looking to sell more kit to kids on DofE kit.

FTFY

jkomo

Thanks again.
    He’s only just signed up so not sure when he will start, but he’s going to do more stuff in the explorers this year as well.
    Down is out anyway due to allergies, so synthetic sleeping bag.
    What is a good fit with regard to the ruck sack? Maybe Decathlon will check that.
    Keen on a Ti mug and tiny gas stove from Alpkit, (for me) or will he have make proper meals rather than pasta/ porridge etc.

Cougar

Keen on a Ti mug

Despite my otherwise hardline stance against Hi Gear, this is ace:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-backpack-cookset-p287230

Pan and mug, pan has a heat exchanger. Perfect size to fit a gas can inside along with a small stove, the coffee filter I papped on about earlier, your coffee and spoon / spork, with room to spare. And it weighs nowt. Heartily recommended.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘D of E equipment- best cash vs weight’ is closed to new replies.