Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Cynic-Al's post on being more middle class…
  • Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

What is it with people wanting to appear more affluent, more ‘middle class’ than they actually are. Pretentious names, ridiculously big cars that are disproportionate to the value of the house, couples in silent competition with their friends…..personally i cannot be effin ar5ed with all that nonsense.

Where i live its a decent area, but there’s so much of the above going on that it’s laughable!!

Anyway, can of the STW minds cast any light on this obsession with outwardly focused individuals or amusing tales of running out of cornichons for Harry’s packed lunch please do share!! 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

Selfish navel-gazers

perchypanther
    Free Member

Know your place, prole 😉

jekkyl

pretty sure it’s a joke on a forum filled with mostly banter.
    Wada yowse reckon?

matt_outandabout

White cars. I blame the them for starting the game.

Stoner
    Free Member

I blame M&S.

perchypanther
    Free Member

running out of cornichons

Not a problem….. I have it in every room

…..except the Media room obviously – ruins the acoustics.

and the Orangery.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is the OP slightly tinged with jealousy I wonder 😆

Trying to prove you are “not like the rest” by posting a scathing retort to another forum members posts, by outlining just how socially different you are is simply a cry for help.

Give in, roll over and take it like a man.

😆

oldnpastit

running out of cornichons for Harry’s packed lunch please do share!!

Plenty of things far worse than that.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Irony and humour detector malfunction?

Perchy – excellent!! 😉

hora
    Free Member

I’ve always drive Japanese cars. People lease/PCP new Audi’s because it helps them appear to be doing well.

Im on a course this week and I said to another ‘I notice you drive a Corolla, why’? He said better to spend your wage elsewhere than on maintaining a vehicle.

Why work hard just to spend a big chunk of your wage on something with S line written on it?

Why the need to be seen moving up the property ladder?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

White cars

I don’t think you can become “middle class” on your own accord. You need to have been brought up with it by your parents, and their parents aswell.

There’s a street I walk down on the way to work, it borders the “rough” area of town. I often get the feeling some of the residents of this street are trying to hard; one of the houses has TWO white cars, one an Audi with personalized plates.

Bin day is the giveaway though; wheelie bins overflowing, full bin bags piled up on the pavement; they’re never middle class….

bails

I don’t think you can become “middle class” on your own accord

No, a Honda won’t do it. You need an A4 or 3 series at least.

SaxonRider

Just the fact that we can make these distinctions on here, even in jest, testifies to the classism that is fundamental to British society.

Thankfully, with my Canadian accent and unyielding egalitarian cultural expectations, I get to stand outside of it all. /smug

😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

Thankfully, with my Canadian accent and unyielding egalitarian cultural expectations, I get to stand outside of it all. /smug

Eeeew ! A colonial!

Benson….Release the hounds 😉

slowoldman

Prole?? I’m just normal!

Is that your real double barrel name or did you adopt it?

antigee

think the post is confusing consumerism and class
    one is pointlessly acquisitive the other pointlessly pointless

ourmaninthenorth

Where i live its a decent area

QED

ourmaninthenorth

Oh, and OP: KYP*

*know your place

maccruiskeen

ridiculously big cars that are disproportionate to the value of the house, couples in silent competition with their friends…..personally i cannot be effin ar5ed with all that nonsense.

In its self thats not a particularly ‘middle class’ trait, but maybe a trait thats common to certain worlds of work. People might not realise they’re part of it but some lines of work require Peacocks Feathers – their field business, and therefore the employees, need to show their success and corporate ‘health’ outwardly – individuals might not realise that they are caught up in that culture of display. Everyone around them is doing it so thats what seems ‘normal’.

In some lines of work thats sort of inverted. In my line of work there are no such expectations, in fact it would be a weird aberration to drive a new (or even fairly new) car for instance, its not even that typical to even own one (in fact its an ongoing frustration for me when I book people to find people who even have a license). People would even be pretty puzzled as to what you’re priorities were if you did. Non the less, as an arts and media ‘type’ I’m pretty sure I’m middle class.

Cougar

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2k1iRD2f-c[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

In its self thats not a particularly ‘middle class’ trait[/quote]

The car thing isn’t at all a middle class trait – on the contrary it’s an aspirational trait which I’d expect to be more common amongst working class people with money. We’re desperately middle class around here, but very little of that – a few newish cars around and one or two company cars, but nothing at all flash. But then most people around are established middle class with enough money but not loads (well actually I know one or two for whom things are quite tight – in terms of income we’re in that category), and no need to prove anything to anybody.

RustySpanner

Laughing at how other people eat their peas has been a staple of British humour for ever.

The funniest are those who just can’t wait to slip in the fact that they’ve just spent x on y.
    Being British, they’re embarrassed.
    Hence we get ‘Help, I’ve burnt my home made bread in the Dualit. Scrape, or throw it straight into the Brabantia’?

I’m classless me, like the old Mini or genital warts.
    😀

That’s the beauty though innit? I could be a Northern Pasty magnate (note the additional ‘e’), or I could live in the bins behind Netto in Derker and you’d never know.

wwaswas

Middle Class people are just like working class people.

Only a bit nicer 😉

Oh, and this is perfect:

scotroutes

Rusty Spanner – Member
    The funniest are those who just can’t wait to slip in the fact that they’ve just spent x on y.

Ouch!

I’m pretty sure the only “I’ve just bought” posts I’ve made have been bikes (or maybe the van I bought for carrying bikes). Being On Topic, it never really occurred to me that I was showing off in some way. Point taken.

aracer
    Free Member

You’re feeling guilty now? Middle class

RustySpanner

Or Catholic.

I don’t think bike threads count?
    We’re all mad about bikes aren’t we?

njee20
    Free Member

Why the need to be seen moving up the property ladder

I’m fairly sure people just want nicer houses, it’s not really about “being seen”.

See also cars, bikes, clothes, holidays, food shopping etc. Some will always be intent on this ‘silent competition’, but WGAS? If no one aspired to better things we’d all live in some shit heap 2-up 2-down in the north west and shop at Asda.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I don’t think bike threads count?
    We’re all mad about bikes aren’t we?
    I like new bike threads.

…unless you buy the bike from Halfords in which case you’re clearly an oik.

Disclaimer: My bike is from Halfords. Je suis oik.

RustySpanner

What makes it funnier is that by laughing at and with others, we reveal our own prejudices and insecurities.
    And thus the game continues.

We all do it subconsciously, but it does make living in Britain a slightly more amusing place.
    🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I do it very consciously. Tesco and Asda truly are full of the dregs of humanity!

footflaps

I’m fairly sure people just want nicer houses,

Nonsense, they all want to live in a hovel, but only buy nice houses to be one up on the Jones….

RustySpanner

We all know the type, surely?

I worked with a haridan called Paula who sold her house and moved six doors up the road just so she could have a different post code.

Chadderton instead of New Moston.
    S’all relative.

scotroutes – Member
    it never really occurred to me that I was showing off in some way. Point taken.

If it never occurred to you, then by definition, it’s not you.
    🙂

zippykona

We have some wealthy friends. When they mention one of their other wealthy friends the person’s name is generally followed with “and he’s worth x million pounds”.
    I always thought it odd.

scotroutes

I’m the dregs of humanity.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

We have some wealthy friends. When they mention one of their other wealthy friends the person’s name is generally followed with “and he’s worth x million pounds”.
    I always thought it odd.

Yes, folks who talk about their rich friends are very strange…

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I’m the Humanity of Dregs, or so I like to think. Nothing beats being aspirational.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Dr. Eggs – saviour of Humanity

fasthaggis

Are they^^ all Noddy Holder ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Cynic-Al's post on being more middle class…’ is closed to new replies.