• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by ski.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • cyling around cuba ..great for a honeymoon?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

anyone been there cycling ..if so great place or not?
    thanks
    Bill (planning our honeymoon)!!

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Take lots of innertubes and patches apparently they are like golddust out there. Very useful for bartering with.

Quite good for kinky honeymoon sex too.

Vortexracing

I was just about to say, why on earth are you finding time to ride (your bike) whilst on honeymoon?

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

when you planning on going ?

i’m doing the Cuba Cycle Challenge for the Cuba Solidarity Campaign end of April – I’ll be back beginning of May and will be happy to share my experiences with you

mail me
    badbrainsmbc at hotmail dot com

orange_c
    Free Member

We went there a couple of years ago – cycling is a great way to see the country. We flew with Virgin who at the time allowed bikes to go for free and left our bike boxes at the casa in Havana.

Stay in casa particulares rather than the state owned hotels as the food in hotels is abysmal. The casas can be really romantic places to stay, the owners are usually lovely people and the food is fantastic – lobster for $10?

Some basic spanish will help and go between Nov – April to avoid monsoon season

Buses and taxis are very happy to take bikes so that you can see more of the country

A really good book is Bicycling in Cuba – can’t remember author sorry, Lonely Planet also do a guide to cycling but we found this one to be inaccurate and unimaginitive in the itineraies it suggested

If you post your e-mail address I can give you more info if you want

ourmaninthenorth

Friends of mine went (albeit not on honeymoon – not sure they’re the marrying kind), but they had a great time. Think they took their old rigid MTBs (rather than road bikes) as lots of the roads are just tracks.

Sounds wonderful. Wish i could convince Mrs North of the merits….

corroded
    Free Member

Second the Bicycling in Cuba book. From painful experience, put sunblock on the back of your hands, that’s my only tip.
    But, a cycling holiday on a honeymoon?!? I despair…

kaiser
    Free Member

to make things clearer ..we’ve been together 10 yrs and visited 40 countries
    and lazed about on beaches more times than i could mention ..Rather than being expensive?romantic we just want a healthy /relaxing holiday which won’t cost the earth 😀

ski
    Free Member

We wend a few years back, its a great place to visit.

Havana is a must, amazing place to walk/cycle round, we hired some pretty rough bikes while we were there to get around.

Well I think we actually bought them via a bartering Hotel staff member 😉

loads of history, you get treated well as tourist and felt safe exploring.

Did have a bit of fun getting into the country though, must remember not to try and smuggle in a half eaten apple in my hand luggage next time, huge crime 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘cyling around cuba ..great for a honeymoon?’ is closed to new replies.