• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by TomB.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cyclocross/Riding to Work bikes
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I am after a bike to ride to work on. I have narrowed my choices down but am still struggling to decide what to go for.

The bike will be used for-

– Riding to work, 15 miles each way. In winter this will all be on road, but in summer I may go along the canal towpath and muck about in the woods. I am not really sure how regularly this will happen, I may just want to get home. But the prospect of mucking about on dirt instead of on tarmac may mean I stay out and play. This is about 17 miles.

-Pottering about with the wife on old railway lines.

– Occasional tours (next year’s plan is the Outer Hebrides) hauling a BOB.

– One cyclocross race. At Christmas. In fancy dress. My actual cyclocrossing aspirations are non-existent, and I won’t start racing and am unlikely to take the cyclocross bike out for a spin outside of my commute instead of my mountain bike as the mountain bike trails round here are pretty great.

The plan will be to buy this and a new hardtail (a Cube Ltd Pro for use in the winter) on finance, which rules out the likes of Canyon and Planet-X.

The choices I have narrowed it down to are-

A Forme Calver which has the advantage of a high spec for the money. However, the frame looks basic and I’m wary of the disc on the seat stay and the lack of rack or mudguard mounts. Completely unknown ride as I can’t try one, haven’t sold them and can’t find any reviews. It also looks hideous.

The Giant Revolt(ing- copyright Jamie, 2014) inbetweeny thing which to me looks to be a decent price. It will take racks and guards easily and I suspect will have a more comfortable riding position for touring compared to the two CX race bikes I’m looking at. The Sora groupset isn’t flash, but parts are cheap. I think it is generally more suited to the road riding it will be spending most of its time doing. It is, however, 3lb heavier than the others.

The Giant TCX SLR 2 which is what I originally had my heart set on. It’s 19lbs, has 105 and looks nice. But it’s a bit beyond my budget. And I won’t really be cyclocrossing. And will I actually notice 105 shifting enough riding to work as much as I’ll notice the extra £10ish in my pocket every month? It looks lovely but I suspect is overkill for a bike that’ll get shagged by grime. And it has 11 speed bits which will be more expensive to replace and harder to track down in the middle of nowhere. But it is probably the best bike. I have ridden one and liked it.

Anyone got any pointers, and any experience of the Forme?

I have ruled out the Genesis CdF from previous experience (it weighs a million tonnes), would consider the Cube CX bike at the same price if anyone can tell me it’s any good and am generally open to suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.

cgreggers
    Free Member

Pinnacle Arkose 3 or if you can stretch to £1250, the Arkose 4. Thoroughly pleased with mine so far.

Jamie
    Free Member

But it’s a bit beyond my budget.

What is your budget?

DezB
    Free Member

In winter this will all be on road, but in summer I may go along the canal towpath and muck about in the woods. I am not really sure how regularly this will happen, I may just want to get home.

That was my plan – 50/50 road/offroad rides in the summer. Did it last year, but it just took too long to get home!
    Still, a crossbike is a wonderful thing to own.(I got a CAAD-X so can’t comment on your choices 🙂 )

Sundayjumper

My ’89 Rock Combo fits those criteria, I use it for on/off road commuting, but I’m guessing it’s absolutely not what you’re looking for 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

I got a Pinnacle Arkrose 3 last year. Use full mudguards and a rack with it. Commute between 12-19 miles each way, at least half on tow paths. Been used for 60-70 mile offroad rides, put slick tyres on it and did a 150k audax.

Done 3000 miles, only needed to replace the tyres and one set of brake pads. Fantastic bike – other threads are available!

TomB

After much dithering, I’ve just this week taken delivery of a Cannondale Tiagra CAAD-x (rrp £899). Very pleased so far.It has mounts for mud guards, and in the short time I’ve had it I’ve really enjoyed it both on and off road, surprisingly capable at both. I’ve also been towing my lass around on her tagalong. The 105 version is £100 dearer. Worth considering if you wanted to lengthen your short list?

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Trek Crossrip? Mine’s been all over the place, has mudguards and rear rack, and even has front rack mounts too. Although I have no idea how that compares to the others on the list!

Free Member

I have been riding a Revolt for about 3 month with 4 seasons tyres and a 12/30 cassette and full mud guards fitted and it is more than fast enough even for club runs as well as getting to work.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The Crossriop is out based on spec, I just don’t want to drop below Sora level, especially when other bikes (in fact, almost every other bike) at the same price are available with better specs.

The Cannondale I um and at about, only because it has so many logos. I also thought it didn’t have mounts so that puts it back in. Have you any idea how much it weighs and how are you getting on with it?

Max budget is real!y 950 or 1000 tops.

Jamie
    Free Member

Most shops will give you 10% off if you ask them nicely, I know Giant Rutland/Tredz do. That means you could get the SLR 2 for £950-ish.

munrobiker
    Free Member

But would they do that on a finance deal? I’d be very surprised.

Jamie
    Free Member

But would they do that on a finance deal? I’d be very surprised.

Ah, no. Sorry. Reading fail.

white101

230 miles into owning my arkose 3. Love it to bits.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Jamie, back of the class.

Anyway, discussion over, the wife has decreed I must get the Revolt…

(Further suggestions and discussion welcome)

TomB

The caadx is my first cx bike, I have taken it along well made off road tracks (derwent water west shore if you know it) at good speed and it feels great, and put a big smile on my face. Haven’t weighed it but feels fine, same frame across the range and the top end one is very light! The fork has neat guard mounts on the inside of the legs, standard mounts on the rear. Size appears long for height, if that makes sense? I’m 6’3″, My 58cm bike is toward the top on seat post range but feels reacher than my 62cm cube road bike (cubes size up small).

Very pleased so far.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross/Riding to Work bikes’ is closed to new replies.