Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • cyclocross/mtb routes around derby?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Just moved to derby and had a quick scout on maps and seems like there may be some riding if youre prepared to search (i live in littleover) but wondered if anyone had some recommendations?

might take me a while to respond as dont have interwebbery in the house

Olly
    Free Member

one of my favorite bits of ST in the WHOLE UNIVERSE is near derby.

littleover i think it is…..

let me find it for you…..

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Just moved to derby…..

My condolences on picking the wrong end of the Brian Clough Way.

😉

Have you tried http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/. Its mainly East Midlands based and has a fair few routes on there.

Olly
    Free Member

yep

its in this little bit of woodland

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=436435&Y=342965&A=Y&Z=120

you go up the side road towards the cattery, continue up the bridleway, then at the top, turn right, and contour down through the woods, and it pops out just by the pub iirc

its raaather nice swoopy twisty in bits 🙂

fontmoss
    Free Member

cheers sooty, this end for 18 months then over to the other for a few years so ill get a good mix. ill try that forum ta muchly

olly, awesome cheers for that!

Bream
    Free Member

😥 I use to live in The Mews next to the Outwoods, god I miss it sometimes.

This trail carries on over the north side of Duffield, up next to the golf club, you can ride over the top there to Blackbrook, then head up the Midshires Way and eventually come down through Shining Cliff (Ambergate woods) great tour round that 8)

PSA – best pint ever can be had from the Holly Bush just up from Milford. And just happens to be on the way back from the above tour 😉

Bream
    Free Member

Just realised you're in Littleover and not Little Eaton like Olly posted, worth the trip over mind as not that far 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Start here,
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=434907&y=326980&z=115&sv=434907,326980&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=626&ax=434907&ay=326980&lm=0

Robins wood is cheeky trail central (3 red/black depending on if you do the jumps or not trail center type DH runs and miles of singletrack).

The Bridleway past/through Repton Scrubs is good twisty fun, although over the last 10 years the horses have widened it and straightened out a lot of the corners 🙁

Most of my rides seem to just be various ways of linking those two.

fontmoss
    Free Member

cheers guys, ill have to explore all of these 😀

joemarshall
    Free Member

As far as I know, the best riding is all N of Derby, but it's worth riding round to.

If you get the train / drive up the A6 from Derby up to Belper, Cromford, Matlock, there is absolutely tons of great riding that way, it's the edge of the Peak District. I did a 40 miler recently from Matlock back home to Belper without duplicating any trails, and I can easily think of another 40 miles you could add on to that, there is that much good riding, and it's easily accessible by train too which is a bonus.

You can go on further into the centre of the Peak District (Bakewell, Curbar etc.) , although that is a bit of a mission from Matlock on the bike if you don't have access to a car.

My condolences on picking the wrong end of the Brian Clough Way.

Not for bike riding. Nottingham = an okay place, but you have to drive miles or catch the train to ride your bike anywhere decent, otherwise you're confined to Bestwood / Shipley / Bramcote etc. which are nice enough local riding, but not quite the same as what you can ride to if you start in Derby and go north.

Joe

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

North Derby is good for doing longer XC rides, South of Derby is much better from a singletrack/technical riding POV (and its still pretty un-technical).

If your getting the train, get one as far as Sheffield (if your fit and want to include Stanage and Blaka Moor in the loop) or Bamford/Hope/Edale for quicker access to the more remote stuff.

fontmoss
    Free Member

cheers guys, good to know theres stuff out there

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘cyclocross/mtb routes around derby?’ is closed to new replies.