Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cyclocross Wheels – General use and potentially 3 Peaks
  • jlc
    Free Member

Just looking at getting a set of cyclocross wheels for general use and potentially use for the three peaks. Have seen the Kinesis Crosslight HDs but is there anything else out there probably need 32 spokes. Any recommendations would be much appreciated as not wanting to spend a fortune if possible.

isitafox
    Free Member

Not sure how much a fortune is for you but 18bikes are currently doing Pro 4 hubs on Pacenti SL25’s for £390.

woody2000

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why not just go for the lighter Kinesis?

I did 3 Peaks on the standard ones last year 80kg

swanny853

I’ve used crests on the crosser for a couple of years and they’re fine. Only thing I’d be aware of is that they may preclude you from using some/potentially lots of the more roadie tyres which tend to have tighter beads.

For that reason if I was replacing them I’d go with wtb koms- they’re more or less UST so you should be able to run pretty much any road tyre with a tube. Lots of the new gravel I.e. useful road tyres seem to be erring on the tighter side too if I understand correctly.

mick_r

Local shop have a lot of people riding Novatech CXDs without any problems. I’ve just got a set – very light and not many spokes so will see how it goes…. Seem well built and supplied with graphs of tension and runout.

LBS rated the rims themselves as being a tougher / stiffer than Crests and better profile for narrower tyres and higher pressures (I’ve also happily run Hope Hoop Crests for 5 years for 29er MTB and a little CX use).

eddie11
    Free Member

I used flow ex on the three peaks but probably overkill, they were borrowed from a 29er, but they gave a lovely shape to clements and no punctures :-). For just riding about open pros on your hub of choice?

boxelder

Years of tubed use inc 3 x 3 peaks and Dirty Reiver on my open pros.

dovebiker

IME Open Pro too narrow if you want to run a tyre bigger than a regular CX tyre – for ‘adventure’ riding a 40mm tyre on a 23-25mm rim is far better. I’ve had some CX tyres at low pressure pop-off an Open Pro.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross Wheels – General use and potentially 3 Peaks’ is closed to new replies.