Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • cyclocross: What BC racing licence for SW series
  • Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Never needed a race licence before but intending on giving the SW series a proper go this year (just bought my first proper cross bike).

Do I need a full (expensive) licence, or will a provisional (cheap) one do?

aP
    Free Member

No, you just need minimum of silver membership. Look on the bc website, it's all explained on there.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i dont know about the SW series, but the Lincs League you can race either without a licence and pay day membership, or with a provisional licence and get the discount each day.

You only need a full licence if you are good enough to be collecting BC points – it is quite expensive i think for not a lot of benefit.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

the silver membership seems a lot to me too, as I wouldn't benefit at all and it'd be cheaper to pay the £3 extra charge at the races.

crazy-legs

the silver membership seems a lot to me too, as I wouldn't benefit at all

£36 a year for liability insurance if you get knocked off, extra discounts at Wiggle and various other places and the provisional licence gives you free (or much cheaper) access to lower level CX and road races (you just don't score points but if you're not worried about that it's well worth it).

Sounds like several benefits to me!

http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/mem–Membership—the-full-details-0

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Hmmm. You do make a good point about the legal stuff, Crazy-legs.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

You only need a full licence if you are good enough to be collecting BC points – it is quite expensive i think for not a lot of benefit.

A truism.

I snaffled 6pts in last season's Western League and ain't bovvering with a full licence this year. They are, after all, only CX National Ranking points, not 'proper' BC racing points.

oldgit
    Free Member

It really will depend on how many races you're going to do, it might be worth risking day licenses the first year.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Proper BC racing points??? CX IS Proper racing! not like those shandy drinking road race points some people seem bothered about 😉

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Intend to do about 10 races, which would be £30 in day licenses.

Checked on the BC site and it suggests I'd only need a provisional license, which comes with the bronze membership. I am quite tempted by the legal bonuses though, particularly as I had near-altercation with a bus the other day.

I am a little confused why I need a licence for cross racing when I've never been asked for one at a xc race. Not sure extra red-tape is required for me to ride around a field and try not to come last.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Bronze membership is all you would need, but I get the silver for the extra legal benefits. THe cost is the same as CTC membership but you will get the added bonus of cheaper races.

MikeWW
    Free Member

I raced last year part season (without a license)but couldn't do the national events without one. Gone silver this year and getting my moneys worth by doing some road races as well

aP
    Free Member

You don't need a license.

crazy-legs

Bronze membership is really designed for race organisers and officials, it covers them for the bare minimum insurance wise that you need when being all official. Silver and Gold are designed for riders – gives you the insurance stuff, the provisional licence etc (Gold adds personal accident insurance as well).

matthewlhome
    Free Member

you still get a provisional licence with bronze membership.BC Membership packages

MrAgreeable

As Matthewlhorne says, a bronze licence covers you too. I wish I'd got one for last year as a day licence now seems to be about £3, and makes signing on more of a faff.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘cyclocross: What BC racing licence for SW series’ is closed to new replies.