Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cyclocross tyres for a bit of road too
  • bgd
    Free Member

I’ve been running slicks on my cx bike for a while as I’ve been using it mainly on the road commuting but now fancy mixing it up a bit.
    Schwalbe Land Cruisers look pretty popular as a good all rounder but wondered if anything can better them for a combination of road and off road rides.

GHill

Depends on the nature of the off-road bits, but I’m not convinced Land Cruisers are ever the answer.

Panaracer Gravel King SK, Clement X’Plor range, WTB Nano all worth a look. Most manufacturers have something along those lines.

Bez

Kenda Happy Mediums are worth a look. And I seem to get on well with Panaracer Cinder Xs, which roll better on the road than I expected from looking at them.

ElShalimo

WTB Riddler 37mm on my Camino AL. I really like them and seem to handle all surfaces well (except deep mud)

fasthaggis

Continental Cyclocross Speed.
    Work ok on gravel/fire road stuff and are fast enough on the road.

Kryton57

I’ve ridden my WTB Nano’s on road, on towpaths, gravel, dry single track and gloop – all good.

TheGingerOne

I ran Clement X’Plorers on the CX bike commuting for about 1000 miles tubeless without issue with the occassional off road jaunt

ads678

I’ve got the conti cyclocross speeds as well. work well on canal tow path and are pretty rapid on road.

bgd
    Free Member

Thanks all, too much choice as ever!

Bez

Probably because “off road” could be anything from fire roads and dust to rock gardens and Kermit’s swamp* 😉

* aka the National Cycle Network

benp1

Nanos have been excellent for me, but long term reports that the centre line wears out after several hundred miles on the road

crazy-legs

Schwalbe G-One. Tubeless, amazingly grippy off-road but smooth and fast rolling on it. They seem quite hardwearing too.

Bez

I assume G-Ones are barely better than slicks if the off-road is slightly wet…? Or not?

ampthill

I assume G-Ones are barely better than slicks if the off-road is slightly wet…? Or not?

That was my question. I use my Victoria Hyper voyagers off road alot and they are fine. Are g-ones actually any grippier or is it just that people haven’t compared them to road tyres

scruff
    Free Member

G one All-rounds are good on short bits of mud but quickly get clogged on longer stretches, ok if they penetrate enough to reach something firm 😯
    I’ve gone for worse case and put wtb resolutes on, working really well on forestry wet loam slime and grass paths. I ride on tarmac as little as possible, cuz it’s rubbish.

aP
    Free Member

Clement PDX are surprisingly fast on the road as well as being a good medium mud tyre.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

If you don’t need tubeless you can’t beat Schwalbe CX Comps in 30mm. Fast on the road, hold on well off road and last time I bought them they were £6 each! Great all round tyre.

ferrals
    Free Member

a good compromise if you want fast rolling but proper off-road ability is a filetread with edge blocks on the rear and a grifo type tread on the front. I don’t find it feels much slower on rod than when I have g-one-speeds on, but much more capable on singletrack, muddy bits etc

downhillfast
    Free Member

Kenda Happy Medium Pro. File tread on the centre so still rolls well on the blacktop, decent side knobs help grip off road.
    Been running mine tubeless too!

riklegge

Apparently Paul Oldham was using G-one’s for the 3pcx, so they must be at least reasonably competent off road.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Like I wrote in my recent tyre dilemma for winter, mainly for road but the odd bit of off-road, G-One Speeds are not officially designed for wet off-road (including my 2.35″s). Schwalbe say they are basically a dry summer tyre off tarmac.

I can’t say I’ve experienced this negative, but it’s a concern, making me think I will be fitting my Marathon Crosses this coming weekend. Inflated to ~60/80psi they fly on the road, drop that down to ~50/70psi and they work pretty well off-road too (better than at road pressure, but still very useable at the higher pressure).

G-One Allrounds may perform much better all year round, never tried them.

strugglinon
    Free Member

Another shout for G-ones.
    Had them on my Focus Mares for a few weeks now and they’re bloody amazing.
    Not any slower on the road than the Conti Grand Sport 28s that they’ve replaced.
    Benn out over the fells where I live (Caldbeck) with them and they’re great on the rough mine tracks, grass and mud too.
    Superb tyres.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross tyres for a bit of road too’ is closed to new replies.