Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cyclocross tyres and stans sealent??
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

I am planning on running CX tyres on a 700c wheel set. Can i put stans sealent in the tubes and will it work? What pressure can they be run at?

clubber
    Free Member

This might help

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cyclocross-cx-tubeless-conversion-my-experiences

(Joes and Stans are pretty similar IME so I doubt that would affect things)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Why bother with tubes? Just go with the stans if you’re going that far. I commute on 28mm tyres at 50psi that are tubeless. I weigh 15st.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

didn’t realise that was a possibility at 50psi

wynne
    Free Member

I’ve run four sets of tubeless cross wheels successfully. Three with tubeless specific CX tyres from Hutchinson and Stans (found Stans sidewalls terrible – three catastrophic rips – and they are very expensive). Also had success with Michelin mud2 tyres. The relatively narrow profile stops them burping at lower pressures and the sidewalls don’t seem too porous.

I found that Maxxis Locusts weren’t successful tubeless convertors.

I was so impressed with the Hutchinson CX tyres that I now run tubeless road tyres (Hutchinson again) on tubeless specific Fulcrum wheels. They are brilliant. Can’t see myself ever using tubes on my road bike again.

For the non-tubeless specific rims I use tape. I use sealant on all of them as it makes punctures less hassle.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m lying. I ran the 32mm tyres at 50 psi. I’m now running steel beaded gatorskins 28 mm at 80 psi.

headfirst
    Free Member

Onzadog: why? As in why would you want to run low psi on the road? I’m not taking the pi5s, genuinely curious.

traildog
    Free Member

80psi is hardly a low pressure, I think 28mm gatorskins are recommended to be this pressure. I will run my road bike with 23mm around 90psi as I find it faster and comfier like this.

50psi is far too much for cross though. What sort of pressures are you able to run tubeless? Obviously, the lower the better for cross, so I’d be interested to know what was the lowest pressures people have been able to run.

resisted
    Free Member

as regarding sealing cross tyres, I have found the cafe latex sealant much better for running at higher pressures.

jumble
    Free Member

I run and have raced Ultegra tubeless wheels + Mud 2’s at 20 psi with Stans sealant. No problems at all. I have also used the Stans CX strip with a Mavic Open Pro at 30 psi.

More hassle than mtb tubeless, but worth it for the low pressures.

For racing arguably you might as well buy some cheap tubs, but I wanted 1 set of wheels.

clubber
    Free Member

I set mine up at 60psi tubeless which is about right I reckon for my weight and what I ride to avoid denting the rims (plenty of unsuitable, rocky trails rather than actual CX racing)

I have however ridden them at 25psi when they were slowly leaking air initially and they worked fine in the sense that they didn’t burp of squirm too much.

traildog
    Free Member

Hmm. It might be worth giving this a go. I have a set of tub rims which I got hold of cheap but I haven’t yet built into wheels or got tub tyres (which aren’t cheap).
    I currently struggle to get Mud2s down to my required pressure without risk of pinching. Was thinking of trying a bit of slim within a tube.

Onzadog
    Free Member

My experience with tubeless on and off road is that you can always get away with less than you do in tubes.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve done noflats in tubes which worked up to a point but I did still pinch when pushing it on rocky stuff so I made the move to tubeless which IMO is much better.

starrman82
    Free Member

Has anyone rode the three peaks on CX tubeless? it has to worth a go with Highrollers at 80+ psi.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross tyres and stans sealent??’ is closed to new replies.