Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cyclocross Single ring set up without chain guide
  • jlc
    Free Member

Have acquired a cyclcross bike with 46/36 FSA chainset and 10 Speed 105 Shifters and rear mech woth 12-30 cassette.
    The FSA chainset weighs a ton so looking at either getting a Shimano CX70 Chainset or going single ring setup.
    Is it easy to go for a single ring set-up using a thick/thin chainring? Will I need to change anything else? Any help would be much appreciated.

karlwoof
    Free Member

Hi – I’ve got the same setup aside from gear ratios…I use a raceface narrow wide ring and I’ve had no problems with it thus far. Raced on some fairly bad terrain and not had it drop once.

Karl

JoB
    Free Member

i’ve been running 1×9 shimano with a 10spd chain and thick/thin ring, had no problems until i dropped the chain 5 times in a particularly claggy race, always on the inside, buying a chain catcher now

leggyblonde
    Free Member

If you only have the one bike, weight doesn’t really matter at this time of year as your bike will be encased in kilos of mud and you might want that inner ring…

warton
    Free Member

I’ve gone 1 x 10.

sram thick thin ring and sram x9 clutch mech.

not one dropped chain, in heavy thick mud and dry bumpy courses. very impressive.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run 1×9 on the commuter/offroader and I run a jumpstop on the inside and a thin BBG bash on the outside. Never dropped a chain yet. That’s with a Surly SS ring.

CX70 isn’t light either. Go 105 at least.

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ve run both a Pauls Chain keeper (http://www.paulcomp.com/chainkeeper.html) which worked fine, and a K Edge one (http://www.acecosportgroup.com/k-edge-chain-catchers/cyclocross/cross-single-chain-catcher.html) which I still use.

Lets you keep using a lighter chainring and ditch all the gubbins. Never dropped a chain with the K Edge one. May have with the Pauls one in some races.

birdage

Like reggiegasket I’m using a jumpstop and Surly chainring and have dropped the chain probably a couple of times in a year jumping logs. Really works well for me on 1 x 10.

john_l
    Free Member

1×9 here as well, 105 short cage mech & n/w Doval ring. Not dropped it yet on South Downs riding.

mattsccm
    Free Member

IMHO chain dropping is minimal anyway assuming you are not using some silly range of gears. With full suss maybe, and I am not saying that it never happens but you will lose nothing by just removing the ring that you don’t need. You won’t need what ever you have for the big sprocket very often so set the chain length for that to really push the rear mech.
    CX courses rarely have a huge range of terrain so you won’t need a huge range of gears.
    If your specific riding does result in dropped chains just add a minimal chain catcher or a gutted front mech.
    Way cheaper if nothing else.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    Using same set up.
    Changed to Absolute black 38 tooth ring and put the 105 mech in a higher tension setting as shown by Absolute black.
    Been perfect,raced and trail ridden.
    No drops yet!
    Thanx,
    Max

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross Single ring set up without chain guide’ is closed to new replies.