Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Cyclocross Rocks
  • Clink

Where did you get the results – can't see them on the site??

Clink

ta

dobo
    Free Member

are there many/any mtb's going round in the seniors SW league or wessex leagues?

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

There are always a few riders on MTBs. And they're always welcome. Suggest you strip the bike down to bare minimum and stick some narrow (<1.5") mud tyres on.

traildog
    Free Member

That "grizzly old 60+ roadie" is actually our Eric and is much more of a dirt man. Cracking ride from him though.
    He's running the annual HorwichCC 3 Towers ride this weekend. I've posted some info about it here and anyone is welcome to come if they want. It's a good fun day out.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Can someone explain the appeal in more detail? I'm struggling to 'get it'. It hurts, it's a short race, the tyres don't grip, the bike don't bounce, the brakes don't work…

Is it like the Strathpuffer, the enjoyment is in the fact that it's such a silly thing to do? Seriously, I'm interested in why everyone says it's so good, I'm considering entering at least a couple this winter, but they'll all be a good few hours drive away and I'm needing more convincing…

Harry_the_Spider

Good question…

I have had very limited experience of them but what I like is the whole "no messing about" aspect of it.

You turn up
    You race
    You go home

The atmosphere is good, it is cheap, it is physically hard.

traildog
    Free Member

Well, you are wrong on the tyres, they grip very well. And the brakes work well enough – you won't be braking much and you can skid using them.
    It's racing, so of course it hurts. What's the appeal? It's intense. Only 1 hour so it's not too much faff or pain and it doesn't matter how rubbish you are, there will always be people to race with and there is no worry about being dropped.

I think the main thing for me which appeals is that's it's really social and friendly. Far more so than any other racing I've ever been to.

MrAgreeable

CX racing and winter seem to go together pretty well. Perhaps it's because of the lowered expectations that riding a skinny-tyred boneshaker creates, but it seems much more fun than an MTB race would be in the same conditions. Even when the course looks like a mudslide, the pace is pretty brisk, and it's a humbling experience how good the fast guys are, but it's a big grass roots scene and there is always someone to race against.

Coleman
    Free Member

As traildog says – The bikes do work, the pace is mental and above all it's good fun. You even get the honour of being lapped by riders like Liam Killeen!

jojoA1
    Free Member

I;ve never ridden CX before, so I was making the statements about the bikes/brakes etc based on what other people have said/posted. I suppose the main issue for me is the short race compared with the long distances I would have to travel to get to them. I'm 4hrs North of Edinburgh. I'm not sure Liam Killeen gets up this way much. 😉

Will try it at least once though.

oldgit
    Free Member

First of all you have to get your head around the fact that it ain't a mountainbike race.
    It's unique it's cx.
    The thing I enjoy about cross is the judgement calls. What I mean is that the on off bike parts require getting it right if you know what I mean?
    Most mountainbikers will look at the climbs and think 'I've got the gears I'll be fine' But in cross you have to judge wether it's worth busting your balls riding it or simply running it, that's the sort of thing I mean.
    And TBH you'll probably find a cross bike on a cross course is easier to ride than an MTB on a MTB course! or perhaps I'm just pants on an MTB.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Will be putting skinnier tyres on an old vbraked mtb, so will just have to see how it goes. I'd like to develop my CX mount and dismounts though, to benefit me in XC races where I fannyabout like nobody's business trying to get back on at a standstill.

Coleman
    Free Member

jojoA1 – Good Man. Hope you enjoy your first race.

TBH I only started when my son started racing. Foolishly I agreed to race a season if he did. We are now both hooked – the only difference is he finishes near the front and me near the back. Raced on mtb's to start with but now both have cross bikes.
    Don't worry too much about the dismount, you'll soon get the hang of it.

crazy-legs

The appeal of CX lies in its simplicity. There's no bullshit, no excuses about wrong tyres or duff suspension settings. You turn up and get on with it. There's a good atmosphere, the last placed guy gets as big a cheer as the winner. There's often spot prizes. There's always a Youth/Under 12's race which is usually free and usually everyone in it will get a goodie bag of some description.
    Anyone riding one seriously can be sure that they'll get a thorough workout yet not be absolutely shagged for the rest of the weekend. It really builds your technical skills – charging through the mud on 1.2" knobblies and drop bars gives a bit less margin for error than 5" of travel and risers. 😉 It builds your fitness. And it's an excuse to buy another bike!

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Wot crazy-legs sez. Nail head squarely hit 😀

jojoA1
    Free Member

jojoA1 – Good Man. Hope you enjoy your first race.

Thanks for the good wishes, and the sex change 😉

(really must change my name to fluffypinksexybikegirlridesdownhill or something)

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Thurman Merman, is that who I think it is? You're not really racing Vets this year are you? And yes we do need to sort out a replacement for the Tumps in the Bath / NE Somerset Area..

See you at my 'locals' again this year.

Coleman
    Free Member

Oops! Sorry jojoA1 aka fluffypinksexybikegirlridesdownhill 😳

balamory
    Free Member

Why not all come up for the Santa Cross World Champs at Glengorm on the 13th of December
    http://www.santacrossworlds.com

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Andy – yes it is who you think it is.

And no, I'm not quite racing in the Vets. This is my last season as a Senior 🙁

Chas.

Olly
    Free Member

i quite fancy a bit of "short loop" bike racing myself…

loved HtN 1.5, skinny mudspecific tyres, 32:18 on my SS, (never raced SS before) it was ace.

if it was going to be an "open to all" kind of affair, it would be a bit tricky balancing CX with MTB.
    some courses would be LOADS better on a MTB, some loads better on a CX bike (im guessing?)
    or it could be categorised perhaps.
    hum.

bikes rock (though i just found out the bearings in my pro2 are finally on the blink, having left them standing unwashed, and apparently wet for a week and a half, they required "cracking" loose. though should free up once ridden….
    oops!
    think ill ride them till winter than change them when i go to to mainly SS bashing.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

/ot

<i>And no, I'm not quite racing in the Vets. This is my last season as a Senior </i>

Hello Chas! I should have worked that out before! I've been working 'away' where they'd banned STW.

I think I've persuaded a few more of the Bath lot to come and do a few local CX rounds this year too. Two of them are even doing the 3 Peaks.

Hopefully the mail in your profile works? I'll drop you a line re ToB (looks like I've might be there ToB in an official capacity) and stuff

Cheers

Andy

/ot

jojoA1
    Free Member

Balamory, I quite fancy being a Mrs Santa. It might be a good one to try. thanks for the info 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross Rocks’ is closed to new replies.