Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cyclocross forks
  • reubena
    Free Member

Hi can I put cyclocross forks on my carrera tdf and then put CX tyres on my road bike rims

Thanks

mickolas
    Free Member

I’d have thought clearance would be a bit tight between the tyr and the rear brake caliper. If that’s not a problem, then go ahead.

FWIW, I fitted a kaffenback fork to a hybrid frame (both using disc brakes) and it works great for light off-road duties. Cheap too.

reubena
    Free Member

So I can fit a CX fork to my road bike?

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

The CX fork will be a lot longer than your road fork, and will make a proper mess of the handling. You also won’t get a CX tyre in the rear.

My suggestion would be to strip it, sell the frame and fork, and buy a CX frameset.

mickolas
    Free Member

You should be be looking at the a-c (axle to crown) dimension for length.

A kaffenback fork won’t be far different from the tdf, I wouldn’t think. You would have to measure yours and check against planet-x spec because I can’t find the info for the tdf inline.

I agree with Sponging-machine about the problem with tyre clearance on the rear. A new frameset is possibly the way to go. Ribble do a cheap alloy CX frameset that would accept most of the components from your current bike.

Main difference would be the move to cantilever brakes (in which case you could sell your brakes with the frameset); possibly a different seatpost size; you would need a new headset as well.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/frames-frames-cyclo-cross-ribble-7005-cx-frame/ribbfrax205

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/forks-forks-cross-ribble-carbon-cross-blades/ribbfors205000000000

OTOH….
    these forks have only a 371.3mm a-c. Surely that should be fine? (rear tyre clearance notwithstanding)

reubena
    Free Member

So the road rims/stem/bars would be ok it I bought a new frame/forks?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

So the road rims/stem/bars would be ok it I bought a new frame/forks?

Yes, as would most of the drivetrain..

crosshair
    Free Member

I was thinking of buying a CX frameset to put all my Triban 5 bits onto for the winter but have no idea about what I need so have stuck with racing my Mtb lol.

cloudnine
    Free Member

You’d need.. frame, forks, headset (maybe bought together as a frameset), wheels, tyres, tubes, maybe new seatpost and clamp, maybe new BB, maybe new bars and stem, new bar tape and cables. It depends on sizes of things and maybe if you can swap stuff straight over. Maybe new pedals too.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Your gearing might be a bit too high for off road use too.
    Assuming you’re running a compact chainset? Which would most likely be 34/50. On CX bikes, something along the lines of 36/46 is more common, as trying to push a 50 off road is a nightmare!

reubena
    Free Member

What chain rings/group set / derailer should I get cheap as poss (links plz!)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross forks’ is closed to new replies.