Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cyclocross Discs. Whats best?
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I’m looking at building a CX framed day touring bike. What discs to the collective think i should be using with Campagnolo shifters.

Ian

mattsccm
    Free Member

Well you have the partial hydraulic systems such as Hope or TRP but they are not cheap. The TRP hydraulic caliper set up seems popular however I have heard comments that it needs a lot of lever travel. As Campag seems to have a shorter travel, well mine have, that maybe an issue. ?You would have to ask some one who has that setup.
    Next its cable operated and I think the consensus has always been that the Avid BB7 road has been the way to go. I use them with Campag Ergos and they are great. The TRP Spyre moves both pads which seems like a good idea and they seem to work ok. Other stuff exists but seems less popular. I’m not going to suggest Shimano as you obviously have more taste!

scandalous
    Free Member

I went from BB7 (robust, very good at what they do, bomb proof but very wide and heavy) for BB7 SLs as above with a bit of weight savings to TPR Spyres (lighter, narrower and with twin piston) and have to say that the TRPs win hands down.

Have to caveat that they are on my Tripster so not an out and out CX bike. That said I gave the Welsh C2C a good bash on it with Kenda Small Black 8s (32c) and I was never under powered.

Coupled with 105 shifter / levers on Salsa flared drop bars (awesome!)

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have cheapy Tektro Lyras on a bottom of the range Boardman. I thought they were awful, then I swapped the rotors for some Avid rotors that cost less than a fiver for 2 from China on eBay. An amazing difference.

I am 85kg and they are fine for me in all experienced (and forseeable) conditions.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Thanks both for you replies. I’m drawn towards Ergos pulling road BB7s but will check out the TPR’s.

nodrog2
    Free Member

TRP Spyre are very good indeed. Lots of power, easy to set up, easy to change pads, look good, light weight. I have nothing negative to say about them. Maybe the new shimano hydraulics will blow them out of the water but they will cost a lot more when they finally get released.

convert

Trp hyrds here. Like them from the off but there was a lot of lever travel. I initially used the cable setup I had previously from by bb7s complete with cable stops and inline adjusters. Recently I’ve taken a Dremel to the cable stops so I can run a continuously outer to the rear (without inline adjusters) and the are even better. Much less cable throw needed. If setting up from new I’d take their install advice with the cables seriously.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Absolutely TRP Spyres. Having moved up from bb5, they are worlds apart. So easy to setup and live with, they work very well, and I suspect would be perfect for what you’re after. My Tripster ATR gets used as light tourer, long commuter, rag around the lanes of an evening and everything in between. Done nearly 3500 miles in all weathers and on 3rd set of pads – maybe 4th at worst.

stox
    Free Member

I’ve a cannondale caad x (105) with pretty appalling cable disc brakes as standard that I need up do something about … Would a set of these TRP spyres be a straight swap and are they relatively straight forward to fit?

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Those TPR’s do look nice, I think I might give the Spyres a go.

Thanks everyone.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Stox… id have thought so as long as you have the correct mount adaptors. Another Spryes user here too and no problems. Very easy to setup and adjust, good stopping power too.

dknwhy

Bought some Spyres this week and fitted them to my Boardman CX bike. Feel the difference already. Really easy to fit.

mst
    Free Member

And if “someone” had bought some Shimano BR-CX77’s ?

Would they have made the wrong choice ?

dknwhy

Yes and they’re likely to end up in a fireball of burning flesh if they dare touch the brakes.

shuhockey
    Free Member

I’ve had BB5’s not much power and the pads are a pain in the arse to change and the adjusters seized up and the metal is quite soft.
    I’ve had BB7’s much better power but went hydraulic
    Then had the TRP Hyrd, but the lever pull was massive, as in going down a steep hill with the lever touching the bar and still not stopping. It may have been my step up but it is really difficult to get the exact cable tension.
    Now got the cx77, with ice tech rotors. No problems at the moment apart from the pads it comes with don’t last long. The pads are the same as the mtb brakes so easy and cheap to replace. Power is good and adjustment is easy.

smiffy

And if “someone” had bought some Shimano BR-CX77’s ?

Would they have made the wrong choice ?

Smiffy did. really happy. much easier to fit and adjust the Avid.

mst
    Free Member

Postie has just delivered them. They look nice. Hopefully, the innertubes from Wiggle will arrive today and I can continue with my build.

convert

Then had the TRP Hyrd, but the lever pull was massive, as in going down a steep hill with the lever touching the bar and still not stopping. It may have been my step up but it is really difficult to get the exact cable tension.

Once I bothered to cough up and buy the new cables and set it up with full outer runs that issue went instantly. I admit that on some frames that might be considered really difficult. I can (could if I was stupid) lock up either wheel with about 2/3rds lever throw and thats with the little screw on the calliper still able to do up so they are fully opening up the reservoir. They have enough of that lovely light hydraulic feel that I’ve never experienced on a 100% cable system which was worth it for me.

nemesis
    Free Member

I use campag ergos on my CX. I had BB7s until a few months back and now have the TRP spyres. 160mm discs front and back.

The BB7s were great. I didn’t seem to have the rubbing issues that some seemed to have either. They were chunky though but that was aesthetic rather than any real issue.

The TRPs work well too though I actually found the front one quite awkward to get properly aligned – it seemed to sit a touch too far over even with the pads fully in. That could be an issue with my fork though as the rear was no problem.

I have noticed that they seem to require a bit more cable pull than the BB7s and I’ve found it harder to get them to work well with both the ergos and the chicken levers I have fitted. That said, I’m happy with the setup now and they work as well as the BB7s and look neater.

FWIW, I have the BB7s and various rotors to sell if you’re interested.

bur70n
    Free Member

I have the Shimano CX77’s now after having the old versions replaced under a recall.

Pads due where quickly but have been thinking of the Hope V twin but after seeing some of the comments here I might upgrade the discs and pads and see what happens…

faustus

I’ve been using BB5s on my campag levers for about 18 months and have decided to replace as i’m tired of the noise and annoying adjustment. The pad return spring is weak and the pad size too small.

Got some R517s to try out (budget Cx77’s), and hoping they will be an improvement. They have bigger pads (same as SLX/XT), but not sure what the cable pull will be like…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross Discs. Whats best?’ is closed to new replies.