• This topic has 23 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ajf.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • cyclocross commuting tyres?
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

what’s a good all round cross tyre for commuting.
    Needs to be quite fast for the roads, but also have some grip for the off road parts.
    13 miles each way, either mostly on road or all off road depending on my mood and the weather.

wind-bag
    Free Member

Schwalbe Land Cruisers

MoreCashThanDash

I had 35mm Road Cruisers on my Kona Dew when I got it, they were pretty good off road as well, but it wasn’t “gnarly” by any stretch!

chriswilk
    Free Member

land cruisers seem really heavy.
    Was looking at the Schwable sammy slick – anyone used this?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Cant tell you what to get, but will tell you what not to get – conti speedkings. Pish – puncture central.

boxelder

Does weight matter that much – it’s only the commute after all and the LCs are bombproof and cheap. Panaracer cindercross roll pretty well.

chriswilk
    Free Member

Also seen the small block 8 cheap on crc??

chriswilk
    Free Member

boxelder – weight doesn’t matter that much, but I have nice light wheels with Hope pro2/mavic open pro, and it’s the bike I do most miles on. 800g+ for the LC is a bit over the top when others are in the 400-500g range. That’s a huuge chunk of weight on the wheels to consider, about 1 and a half pounds in old money.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Am after the same thing. Weight DOES matter – indicates a tough carcass.

I’ve had a few spins on a speed king and I think it’s pretty good, not tried many others though.

smell_it
    Free Member

I ran these over summer and found them a pretty good compromise for road and off road riding.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24615

Bargain cheap to, but not sure how good they would be in proper mud.

h4muf
    Free Member

I’ve got cx pro’s fitted,great all rounders and fast rolling imho.

Cheap too!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Dont get me wrong, the speedkings tick a lot of boxes – fast and pretty grippy, but i have had no end of punctures with them.

MrSparkle

Whereas I have never had any with Land cruisers in 1000’s of miles of commuting and two Three Peaks. Bollox to weight – I don’t want to be grovelling about in the p1ssing rain fixing a flat whilst worrying about losing my bonus through being late.

carrotcake
    Free Member

I’ve run Panaracer Cinder X for my mixed commute for the last few years. Roll well onroad and have plenty of traction offroad. Very light, but not so light they self destruct. I usually get a six months out of the rear tyre. My commute is around 20miles per day, 11.5 mile off road and 8 miles onroad.

DenDennis
    Free Member

conti travel contact- awesome tyres, fairly slick, not true crossers (pretty good offroad though) but most importantly for commuting, they have conti’s puncture guarantee, come with free inner tubes and you get a free new tyre+ inner tube if they puncture within a year

MrGreedy

I have some lovely Hutchinsons in the classifieds that could be just the job…

MrOvershoot
    ericemel
    Free Member

Last few weeks I have just swtiched to sammy slick, they seem decent so far, 200miles and no sign of wear and just fine offroad. Puncture strip too. They are slicker than they look in the pic too. Light and fast

Unless there is a disaster, I’ll be a repeat customer n these.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=48565

Surfr
    Free Member

Speed Kings are a goot tyre in general but beware they wear very quickly on tarmac. Think Conti could do with some Black Chilli cross tyres but they don’t seem interested.

oldgit
    Free Member

Landcruisers, they’ll be quicker than lighter knoblies. You want have to prey on wet tarmac descents either. Vittoria have a similar tyre. Failing that Sammy Slicks. I race Speed Kings, but they wear rapidly on tarmac. The knobs on the sides of cross tyres are for cambers or muddy corners, they can be ‘a triffle sudden’ on tarmac!

chriswilk
    Free Member

looks like I’ll go for my initial plan of sammy slicks then

thanks for all the input

traildog
    Free Member

Get some good touring tyres, like marathons or Land cruisers or similar. I sometimes commute with Landcruisers and they’re a bit of a pain but at least you can forget about punctures.
    Avoid cross tyres, they’re deadly on the road and wear too quickly for commuting.
    This winter I’m going for some 28mm 4 seasons but my only off road sections now are gravel roads.

meehaja
    Free Member

Maxis raze came as standardon my JTS. aways been absolutely fine.

ajf
    Free Member

I have Schwalbe CX Comp Tyre. Cheap and fast rolling. Happy doing road and the odd bit of off road on them.

Bit like the sammy slicks but half the price

I had the speed kings but they wear fast and were not as grippy on the roads.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘cyclocross commuting tyres?’ is closed to new replies.