Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cyclocross Bikes – talk to me
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to decide whether my next purchase should be a cyclocross bike rather than a hardtail. I think it would probably suit the riding I usually do in and around Leeds and in the Peaks during the winter months. They also have the versatility to run slicks for road riding or commuting which would be useful.

So, what do I need to consider?

If I was buying another mountain bike I’d look to source a demo to size myself up and get a feel for the bike. Is this possible with cx bikes? Do I need to get properly sized up for a road bike so I know roughly what size to buy? Can anyone recommend me somewhere to go.

I’ve sat on (not ridden) my dad’s M/L Giant road bike and I’ve pootled down the road on a mates 56cm Scott CX bike. I’m 6′ and both felt OK with the latter feeling a little stretched.

oldgit
    Free Member

For non racing CXer’ing 😐 I’d go for a Croix De Fer or something like it.
    A proper CXer pings about and is pretty harsh, though still capable. I built a CDF and that kept up with my mates MTBs

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Thanks oldgit. Presumably the steel CDF takes the sting out of the trail a bit more than aluminium.

Just wondering about sizing really as I’ll probably end up buying online or 2nd hand.

Jase
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 11″ and ride a 56cm Scott CX – feels fine.

cynic-al
    Free Member

56 sounds about right.

New Kaffencack looks good.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Paul Milnes cycles in Bradford is a bit of a mecca for all things CX.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Including heaps of crap overpriced frames on ebay from what I’ve seen!

ajf
    Free Member

got a 58″ frame and I am 6ft 1. So yes a 56+ would be spot on.

Those Croix De Fer look like they weigh a ton. Anyone know what they actually weigh?

Got a condor frame that has just gone through a respray so pictures are obligatory.

Before

After (note not quite finished there)

Nothing really of use to add. I just wanted to crow bar my pictures in.

pistola
    Free Member

I’m 6’1″ and ride a 58cm Croix de Fer and it fits me fine. It does weigh quite a bit although I’ve never weighed it. Comfy though. I had to up the disc from 160mm to 180mm as I wasn’t entirely happy with the original performance. Overall a good ‘do anything’ bike.

mav12
    Free Member

im 6ft 5 and ride a 61cm feels a tad large but love it

oldgit
    Free Member

Those CDF do weigh a ton, but go like **** off a shovel. And yes the steel does take the sting out of the trail. I had been riding my race crosser and the CDF back to back so feel justified in comparing the two.

Thing is people are making cross bikes so trail friendly you might as well just use an MTB. That’s what I thought so sold mine. I like that division -road/cross/MTB

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6135/5916255892_b8c9cce774_z.jpg

I whacked Midge bars on mine, which means you can hoon from the wide drops. I also converted standard Deorde Hydros to fit the bars so had stunning braking.

Edric64
    Free Member

If you really intend to use it off road put a triple on .Quite often the gearing is fairly high as standard.I put mtb chainsets on both mine mainly to winch my fat arse up Penyghent lane on the peaks cyclo x

BadlyWiredDog

Thing is people are making cross bikes so trail friendly you might as well just use an MTB. That’s what I thought so sold mine. I like that division -road/cross/MTB

You’re never satisified are you – when you say ‘people’, you actually mean you, no? Seeing as you put hydraulic discs on your cdf? I confidently predict that within months you’ll have decided that you can ride anything you can ride on your mountain bike on a cross bike, sold your mountain bike and built another crosser. Then added discs. Then you’ll decide it’s too much like a mountain bike and sell it again and buy another mountain bike. And so it goes on… 😕

Aren’t they all just bikes. And riding is just riding…

oldgit
    Free Member

I don’t have an MTB anymore. Thing is I made the CDF so efficient off road I might as have kept with the MTBs.

Anyway, next I shall be going off road with my 1950s road bike a la Rough Stuff Fellowship…..fixed BTW.

Edit; Ah yes I can see it now 27″ wheels and saddle bags. Can you still buy Tartan Thermos flasks?

BadlyWiredDog

Edit; Ah yes I can see it now 27″ wheels and saddle bags. Can you still buy Tartan Thermos flasks?

No, they’re all carbon fibre these days…

oldgit
    Free Member

Well I suppose they were very heavy back then, but hey tin is real.

oldgit
    Free Member

Bingo

Sorry Kingof Buscuits we seem to have gone off on a tangent.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross Bikes – talk to me’ is closed to new replies.