Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Cyclocross bike/Road bike for a 5"4 inch woman, cycle 2 work so less than £1000
  • thekendo
    Free Member

Hi,

My girlfriend is looking at getting a bike which will need to be used for a variety of things and realistically she’s only looking to get one.

She’d like something that could be used for:

1/doing the London Tri this summer
    2/ cycling to work
    3/ a bit of touring about

She’s a bit worried about the gearing, it’ll be used around the peak so she doesn’t want something that comes with a compact chain ring. She’s also worried that a standard road bike might not be up to taking a rack and touring.

I know we are looking for a jack of all trades so I thought I’d see if anyone has any ideas on what to look at or to avoid.

So far we’ve looked at:

The Boardman comp Fi, she’s not a big fan but I haven’t got to the bottom of why yet.
    Her local bike shop has recommended a Giant Avail 2
    I think something like a Giant Invite 1 or a similar cyclocross bike could be the way to go.

I’d really appreciate any advice.

Kenny

TiRed

We have a Giant Avail 2 for my son. (Size XS). It’s basically a Giant Defy with smaller frame and different paint. Excellent bike, really nice frame. Swap wheels and you could race it. Add a rack and guards (it has eyelets) and light loaded touring would be no issue. Comes with a Tiagra compact. Very nice shifting and the compact is not as bad as you think.

Forget cyclocross. Buy the bike you need. Avail is a great commuter\tourer\racer. Just looked at the Invite – again nice, but I think I would still go Avail as you won’t be able to change to lightweight disk wheels economically.

EDIT: If you aren’t too serious about touring, and can find one, see if you can source an Avail Composite from 2013. These are now under £1000. All XS were, however sold, not sure about Smalls – which is probably what you need.

jameso

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/arkose-one-2014-womens-cyclocross-bike-ec054864

43cm frame, 370mm reach/525mm TT. There’s a women’s Dolomite road bike with eyelets and deep-drop brakes if discs are ott.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thekendo
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

TiRed, thanks for low down on the giant. I’ll let her know that it’s definitely meets what we are looking for.

Jameso, I’ve sent her a link to the arkoss, it’s a nice looking bike.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross bike/Road bike for a 5"4 inch woman, cycle 2 work so less than £1000’ is closed to new replies.