Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cyclocross bike – going 1 x 11.
  • rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Like the idea of changing my cross setup from 2 x 11sp (2015 Shimano 105) to 1 x 11 with a narrow wide chainring.

Would an XT 10sp shadow+ rear derailleur work in it’s place? The indexing is on the shifter after all and I only need to accommodate an 11-28T cassette.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Different cable pull ratio.

cookeaa

You might not need a clutch mech. You should be able to increase the cage spring tension see here

I am running 1×9 currently with a non clutch SLX mech and I’ve had no drops so far, couple of months use.

bigbeard
    Free Member

I’m currently running 1×10 with a 105 rear mech with the spring tension increased as cookeaa mentioned above. I’m using an SRAM thick / thin chainring. So far I’ve done 4 races and the chain hasn’t come off yet even with a few crashes. I think its more reliable (in terms of the chain staying on) than the previous 2×10 set up.

tang
    Free Member

Lidarets road link? you could run a xt 11-40 cassette on a reg road mech.

daver27
    Free Member

Tried exactly that as an experiment, it doesn’t work for the reason given by Rorschach

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’m running 1×10 with a long cage 105 rear mech. An 11-32 cassette with 38t narrow wide chainring. Similar 1×9 on fully rigid winter Mtb too.

Not dropped a chain in two winters yet.

cookeaa

Actually Following teethgrinder’s experiment demonstrating that an M8000 rear mech will work with 10 speed cassette and shifter, does anybody know for sure that shimano road and MTB 11 speed definitely usetotally different cable pull?

cookeaa

Nevermind just looked, they’re totally different, carry on…

tang
    Free Member

Just checked lindarets site for 11spd shimano it will support so you can run up to a 40t on the cassette in 1x guise. Im using one on a 1×10 cx/gnar and it works crisply.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I’m happy with 11-28. Just want the simplicity of a single chainring.

tang
    Free Member

11-28 then sling in a reg road mech, sorry missed the cassette size bit, thought you might have wanted the range.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I’ve got 1×9 on mine with a wolf tooth ring and a normal road mech, not lost the chain yet. I’ve even got it working over an 11-34 cassette which is way outside spec but it’s fine, just wound the B screw in

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Looks beautifully simple like that, but has it been into battle or just training/riding?

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I did one race (I was useless). I trail ride on it alot and it’s been hammered down some quite rocky trails and not dropped the chain. Did the galloway gallop sportive at the weekend.

traildog
    Free Member

Lots of people race with a 1x setup and a standard road mech. I’ve just done that and not lost the chain yet.
    If you are really worried then you can rig up some form of chain catcher.

nemesis
    Free Member

FWIW I’m using Campag 10 speed shifters with sram 10 speed clutch mech and it’s perfect

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross bike – going 1 x 11.’ is closed to new replies.