Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cyclocross bike for under £1000
  • kingteeb
    Free Member

I’m new to taking biking more seriously. I’ve always had bikes, but only ever cheap mountain bikes. I want something that I can at least reasonably comfortably join friends who have road bikes, but will also give me the flexibility to go on trails and is something I can ride hassle free throughout the year. So I have found myself looking into cyclocross bikes. I’ve been doing a lot of searching around and was just wondering if people could give me some advice on what I can get for £1000 or under. What should I be looking at?

Thanks

househusband

Hi kingteeb – welcome to the forum.

This is a subject that has come up regularly here. Do a search on ‘cx’ and ‘cyclocross’ bikes in the title BUT there has also been loads of threads containing discussion (I know – as I’ve participated!) on cx bikes – they may not be obvious;

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/kinesis-pro6-for-1080-anything-better

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2015-giant-tcx-slr-mutterings

Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)

Alternatively just look at the posts to which Jamie has contributed or started! His selection of cyclocross bike has been an involved, drawn-out, emotional and sensitive issue – but I *think* we might actually be close to a decision… 8)

Jamie
    Free Member

cloudnine
    Free Member

Jamie.. what bike have you got/ now getting? Ive lost track

househusband

Jamie.. what bike have you got/ now getting? Ive lost track

(Winks and taps side of nose…)

kingteeb
    Free Member

Thank a lot for the links househusband! I’ll get reading 🙂

m360
    Free Member

If you don’t need a cyclocross bike then a road bike is a cheaper/more available option, with better specs for the money. CX seems to command a premium.

Be realistic what you will ride on it. Find one that has clearance for mudguards and bigger tyres (28mm is a good option) and have a look around. I have a CX bike, but realistically could ride most of what I do on a road bike. Unless you want proper mud-plugging ability on it, I’d go for a road bike.

Cougar

I want something that I can at least reasonably comfortably join friends who have road bikes, but will also give me the flexibility to go on trails

Surely the answer is “a mountain bike and a road bike” for that budget? 30 seconds browsing on Leisurelakes (other retailers are available, I happened to be there) gave me a Spesh Rockhopper at £550 and a Canondale Caad8 at £450.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m mostly tempted by the Giant TCX SLR 2, the 2014 model is on sale for £800 if you google or a new 2015 one is £1050.

I would probably agree with Cougar, though- if you are going to be doing real trail riding a cheap MTB will be better. I’m getting a CX bike for the edge of fields, smooth tracks in the wood and so on on my ride to and from work.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

As long as you will be riding the trails on your own and not trying to keep up with your friends on mtbs.

A cross bike is great but you will be riding tamer trails and bridleways as the narrow tyres/riding position will make everything seem more ‘interesting’.

Plus the tyres you will choose for riding offroad might not be the same tyres you would choose for riding with your mates one their road bikes, as they won’t run as fast as narrow road tyres.

So you may need two sets of wheels to make it feasible.

I love my croix de fer (lighter than a retail build) and am upgrading the frameset to the tripster atr as I like that style of bike so much.
    I also have a road bike though, although I might get a 2nd set of wheels for the tripster and get rid of it.

stanfree
    Free Member

I’ve just sold my cdf which was a truly great and good looking bike but a bit weighty. My budget was tight but I’ve just put a deposit on a Merida 3 CX which I got for £635. I didn’t want to get a finance deal so the cdf had to fund the Merida. Had I had £1k to spend I’d have bought a Caad x or Tcx. I figured anything under a grand will need the wheels upgraded when the exisitng ones die.
    Happy hunting.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m mostly tempted by the Giant TCX SLR 2, the 2014 model is on sale for £800 if you google or a new 2015 one is £1050.

Doubt you could find any stock of a 2014 TCX SLR 2.

If you did get a TCX SLR 2 2015 model, then have a look at the likes of Pedalon. As they will give you 20 Podium Points, which will allow you to get a load of bike gear for free.

kingteeb
    Free Member

I agree having both a road bike and a mountain bike would probably make sense, but I simply don’t have the space to store them!

I stumbled across this today…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-cross-race-pro-cyclo-x-bike-2014/rp-prod114115#

Seems like a steal!

househusband

Seems like a steal!

59cm Only remaining… I assume you’re a basketball player in real life?

kingteeb
    Free Member

Haha! It might even been too small… I’m 6 foot 3…

stanfree
    Free Member

The guy who bought my 54cm Gensis was 6 ft tall and It fitted him like a glove , bear in mind you should probably drop a size for cx bike.

kingteeb
    Free Member

I’ve been told the cubes actually come out a little small by my lbs.. Not sure about other people’s experience with that?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

bear in mind you should probably drop a size for cx bike.

not really as the equivalent size is likely to have a shorter TT anyway. I’m 5’10 and my CX bike is labelled as 56 but actually measures as a 54, with a ~540mm top tube being shorter than my equivalent road bikes.

I’ve been told the cubes actually come out a little small by my lbs.. Not sure about other people’s experience with that?

I think they come up a LOT small, people seem to often buy 2 sizes bigger than they would in other makes. That “59” Cube has a 56 TT so is closer to a 55/56 in other brands. Personally there’s no way I’d pay £1k+ for a CX bike without disc brakes.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross bike for under £1000’ is closed to new replies.