Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cyclocross Bike
  • simoncox

I’m looking at a Surly Cross Check for light off road and cross racing. I’ve read some comments that its a bit heavy, does anybody race one? I would prefer a steel frame to an aluminium one.

alfabus
    Free Member

worrying about it being:

bit heavy

and

would prefer a steel frame

does not compute… steel frame will almost always be heavier than equivalent ally frame.

Dave

simoncox

I’m aware that steel is going to be heavier than aluminium I just wanted to know if the extra weight was a problem on cross races when the bike needs to be carried

wwaswas

any extra weight will be a problem if you’re racing.

clubber
    Free Member

The surly’s a decent bike but it’s not really designed for racing. Of course you can race on it but you will feel the extra weight, even if in reality it doesn’t slow you down as much as you think it is.

I’d not choose a surly for racing.

scud
    Free Member

I ride a steel Genesis Croix De Fer, absolutely love it for it’s purpose for me, putting in the miles, putting racks on for a bivvy night away, the comfortable ride etc

But it is a good 26-27ibs and it certainly isn’t a racer.

I think the Surly is the same, designed to be a bike for touring and relaxed long rides, not really for racing, the weight is quite a bit higher than most race bikes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross Bike’ is closed to new replies.