Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • cyclocross???
  • landofgiants
    Free Member

Not sure if I’m missing something. Riding a road bike around a grassy, muddy circuit? Is it just roadies being oblivious to the existence of the mountain bike? Or is there more to it?

rOcKeTdOg

*grabs Sainsbury’s salt and black pepper crunchie mix*

v12jat
    Free Member

Pull up chair…. 🙄

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sc-xc

Is it just roadies being oblivious to the existence of the mountain bike?

This is exactly what it is. I tried to talk to a roadie the other day about it, but he didn’t even say ‘hello’ back…never mind get into a conversation.

It’s like the Santa thing…a secret kept from people that road bikes.

benw
    Free Member

try it,its easy especially on a mountain bike.let us know how you get on

Spin
    Free Member

Maybe it’s not for you?

Northwind

I described my cross bike as being ideal for those times when my rigid mtb wasn’t rubbish enough. Most people seem to think that’s a criticism.

landofgiants
    Free Member

Im sure doing these courses on a mountain bike would be easy, and probably pretty dull. Why teeter down a perfectly good hill on a racer when you could blast down it on a mtb.

gee
    Free Member

I don’t get cross racing either. Looks miserable. I hate running.

Cross bikes are awesome, though. Bit of road, few trails, bit more road…

GB

qwerty
    Free Member

Enter a CX race on a CXSS bike, wear baggies and have hairy legs. That confuddles them all.

Northwind

Dirt mag goes cyclocross racing:

(Singletrack readers went mental over the CX features, Dirt readers seemed to love theirs)

landofgiants
    Free Member

Looks almost bearable in baggys n flats. Still not sold though

Harry_the_Spider

Don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it.

Northwind

OK, I post this too often, this was one of the best rides I’ve had at glentress in ages:

cross by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

Body armour? ******* right! It’d be dead easy to trundle around GT on a crosser but it’s a bit interesting at speed. Brilliant fun, though the rear wheel’s never been the same since.

PS, Voodoo Limba frame and carbon forks for sale. Never raced, one careful owner 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

Do it in the dark

jonba
    Free Member

Not sure if I’m missing something. Riding a road bike around a grassy, muddy circuit? Is it just roadies being oblivious to the existence of the mountain bike? Or is there more to it?

I like it, plenty of others do. If people don’t then fine, we’ll not worry you. Cyclocross is generally populated by people who don’t think that they are roadies or mountain bikers but people who like riding and racing bikes. As such they attract a great mix people for light hearted* fast, furious and exciting racing.

*The racing can be serious but this is left at the finish line.

aP
    Free Member

Back to the OP. yes, there’s more to it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

See above dirt goes cx for how you look on a road bike in your baggies peaks and camel backs ….

Like a prize waz*ck

At least hes just doing it for a rise

JoB
    Free Member

yes, it’s just riding bikes round a field

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve done a few mtb races, and often thought it would have been easier and quicker on a cross bike if the rulles had permitted it.

Then there are races like the 3 peaks cyclo cross which goes on terrain that only Gnarr weekend warriors on 6″ mtbs dare normally conquer..

fasthaggis

Not sure if I’m missing something (Yes,you may well be,so go and watch a race). Riding a road bike around a grassy, muddy circuit?( They are not road bikes,I know that you don’t know that,so go and watch a race ) Is it just roadies being oblivious to the existence of the mountain bike?( No,it tends to be a mix of people that may call themselves cyclists,go to a race and have a chat with some of them ) Or is there more to it? ( maybe not for you,but after you have been to a race,you will be closer to finding out

HTH 🙂

MikeWW
    Free Member

Maybe ask the 50,000 watching the World Champs at Koksijde last January what they think about it or the 300+ riders that turn up at regional events through the winter each weekend.
    Or ask Nick Craig or Dave Fletcher or Oli Beckinsale who are regulars at the National Events.

nick1962
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member

I’ve done a few mtb races, and often thought it would have been easier and quicker on a cross bike if the rulles had permitted it.

Then there are races like the 3 peaks cyclo cross which goes on terrain that only Gnarr weekend warriors on 6″ mtbs dare normally conquer..

What??

British Cycling MTB Race rules
    2.0 THE BICYCLE
    2.0.1 BC in no way wishes to stifle the natural evolution of
    the mountain bike in any recognised discipline. To this
    end there is only one requirement; that the bicycle is
    solely human powered. Any bicycle used in
    competition must be capable of safely and efficiently
    completing the task and must, as a minimum, be
    mechanically sound, have efficient brakes on all
    wheels and all reasonable steps must be taken to
    ensure the safety of the rider and others. As part of the
    latter, bar plugs are compulsory

Whereas 3 Peaks Cyclocross rules

14. The race is for CYCLO-CROSS BIKES WITH DROP HANDLEBARS ONLY.
    The use of mountain bikes and road bikes is prohibited. There will be an
    examination of bikes before the start and spot checks made throughout the
    race. A cyclo-cross bike is a road bike with cyclo-cross tubulars/tyres and low
    gears. Disc brakes are allowed. Bicycles must comply with the following
    regulations:
    * The structure of the bike connecting the saddle, pedals and forks shall be
    triangular
    * The component parts must be tubes or profiles, the form of which is free
    from restriction. The minimum width shall be 25mm. The maximum width
    shall be 80mm for the frame and 50mm for the rear stays, forks and seat
    pillar.
    * Wheels of the bike may vary in diameter between 70cm maximum and
    55cm minimum, including the tyre. The width of the tyre cannot be more
    than 35mm.
    * STRAIGHT HANDLEBARS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED.
    * The use of 27″ or 700mm wheels in mountain bike frames will not be
    allowed.
    * Commissaire’s decision will be final

maxtorque

trail_rat
    See above, dirt goes cx for how you look on a road bike in your baggies peaks and camel backs ….

TBH, compared to the guy behind him in tights and pink lycra, i reckon he looks pretty good! in a totally hetro kinda way obviously 😉

ourmaninthenorth

No. Nothing else to it. Move along now and keep going with that in depth analysis, eh?

richpips
    Free Member

Remembers the day when we rolled up at a trail centre on cross bikes to banter from the padded up full susser lads. “You’ll never get round here on those”

We set off they’re lot and ours together and our party stopped at the cafe half way round.

We saw the full susser lad’s cars back in the car park but didn’t see them enroute.

Skillz and fitness innit?

👿

Edric64
    Free Member

3 peaks is a great race it teaches you to ride lightly on road wheels and a rigid bike

sefton
    Free Member

yeah quite a lot more to it!

a lot more than just muddy fields too. usually a real mix of terrains.

you get a good mix of people at cx races, lots ride mtbs before they really get into it and get a cx’er!

the thing about cx is the racing! (and there’s tons of it, even if your dead last you always have someone to race near by)

one warning tho – it will test your fitness to the limit (you will want to die at some point) 😈

try one and get back to us on your findings????????

sefton
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20901674

found this that was on the BBC yesterday (Tod cx from last weekend)

qwerty
    Free Member

3 peaks is a great race it teaches you to puke whilst climbing a grassy overhang with a bike on your shoulder & cramp whilst riding

Fify

trail_rat
    Free Member

TBH, compared to the guy behind him in tights and pink lycra, i reckon he looks pretty good! in a totally hetro kinda way obviously

our survey says …. uh uh ….

sefton
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU96F_q_zPY&feature=share&list=UUTJn3Jx9YNpRzr7N4FoqQ4w[/video]

whats not to like?

nick1962
    Free Member

It’s good to see people of all ages having fun on bikes but going back to the OP and looking at the Tod race would an MTB be quicker than a cyclocross bike (same rider) ??
    Oh and one other thing wouldn’t flats and shoes that you can walk in or MTB SPDs help with the walking sections 😉

sefton
    Free Member

mtb shoes (with studs) are what you need or you’ll be slipping all over on the climbs.

not sure about the mtb question – I would guess the cross bike would be a better tool. maybe a light rigid race mtb with the correct tyres would have a chance?

mtb might be more difficult to shoulder too

cx racing really will test you in all areas – fitness, skills, strength, mental strength, race strategy, running, climbing, sprinting etc etc – you’ll quickly find your weaknesses – but this is whats so good – you apply what you learned last race into next weeks race.

wwaswas

I think this sums up cross racing for me.

Ride until you either succeed, or break.

Just riding a cross bike, on the other hand, gives you a good excuse for avoding the muddy bits on your usual routes and dropping onto the road for a bit.

druidh
    Free Member

sefton
    Free Member

that beard must of took some grooming after 😉

sefton
    Free Member

that beard must of took some grooming after 😉

maxtorque

The leg end that is Ed Oxley impressing the girls with his massive fatness……. 😉

sorry, was still stuck in the “tell us about your online dating experiences” thread commenting stylee

sefton
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/KKMhh5PmAts[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘cyclocross???’ is closed to new replies.