Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cyclocross
  • carbon337
    Free Member

Rules

Just saying. Lost interest in my mtb fell in love with road. Now autumn is here I built up a cx bike with bits and bobs and have done a couple of races.

Love riding it from my door in shocking weather, basically anywhere, flat fields, sand dunes, local park even round town running up steps etc (urban cx)

Now the main question do I sell the cx build and the c456 in the shed that’s never used and buy a nicer one?

vegasdave
    Free Member

Only if you want to…it’s nice to have new bikes,but I tend to hang on to mine.

boxelder

Yes.

Now, slight hijack – can I change the 50/34 10 spd double on my cx/commuter to something like 46/28 without changing front mech?

They are ace for this kind of weather.

crikey
    Free Member

Just drop the front mech a bit… and tighten the cable.. 😉

dobo
    Free Member

do you really need a 28 on a cx bike? leave the 34 on there, 28 to 46 is a big jump..

boxelder

I promised myself a year off the 3 peaks after sunday’s efforts, but then started thinking – just theoretically you understand – that I never use top gear on the event and always wish I had lower for going up PyG. So dropping to 46/32 or 44/32 would help on what is usually my slowest section. I see 36/46 is a cx standard, but that’ll be for ‘normal’ cross use. Not in any hurry, as I’m not entering next year. On the other hand……

snap
    Free Member

What would the nicer one be ???

Im currently thinking about
    On one dirty disco
    &
    Kinesis Pro6
    I like both

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I use 34/46 on the front and 12-36 on the back for the peaks. for std cross racing a single 44 or 42t if its lumpy with a 11-27 out back.

boxelder

I use 34/46 on the front and 12-36 on the back for the peaks

Aye, but you’ve the legs and lungs for it.

Edric64
    Free Member

I use 22/32/44 on the peaks and 11/32 cassette to haul myself up the last mountain

davetrave
    Free Member

What would the nicer one be ???

Im currently thinking about
    On one dirty disco
    &
    Kinesis Pro6
    I like both

Telepathic! I was just about to post the same…

Switched to mini-Vs for 3 Peaks this year and even they couldn’t cope. Disc time…

So what’s it to be – DD or Pro6…?

boxelder

Disc time

The pads wore out on my BB7’s, leading to foot scraping round the last two corners. Anyone see the fella miss the last corner and plough into spectators? Looked quite nasty.

davetrave
    Free Member

Least discs might buy a little more time… Likewise with the foot scraping – nearly ploughed in to the back of all the traffic in Helwith trying to make the turn off the road in to the finishing funnel, had some worried looking marshalls trying to stop me going straight on by just standing in the way and waving their arms, obviously thinking I though the finish was further down the road…!

davetrave
    Free Member

And will probably go with the Hope hydraulic/cable hybrid, running Evo Tech X2 callipers – no worries with pads running out there…

senorj

Agreed – it rules.
    I’ve just built up a pro6 (with a lot of help and coffee c/o from my lbs!),it has the hope brake thingamyjig davetrave mentions.
    I’m just learning – only 4 rides off road so far . imo it’s quite scary , you don’t realise how fast you’re going until you(I) remember I’m not on the drops and the oncoming tree is getting closer!and then thump.
    I bought mine as a main commuter/hack bike initially but it’s also ace on my local singletrack , so I can see it getting more use.”races” maybe – but they do look scary!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross’ is closed to new replies.