Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cyclo Tyre Tool – anyone used one?
  • selaciosa
    Free Member

This is the thing… http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42811

I’m absolutely fed up of changing DH tyres and wondered if anyone has used one of these and rates it?

bencooper
    Free Member

Good for non-tight tyres, it struggles with high pressure tyres…

Tracey

I have, used it in the Alps, Kevin has managed to fit it in his backpack. Great on DH tyres and stops breaking my nails

zilog6128

cool, might get this for the winter – took about an hour last year to get tubeless Ice Spikers onto Crests!

nickjb
    Free Member

I use the crank brothers tool. Looks like it works in a similar way. It’s great on my tyres which are a pretty tight fit. It’s a bit more portable, maybe not as robust, but it comes with a lifetime warranty

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8176

scaredypants

they’re not too bad – the locating clip for the axle isn’t all that reliable and if it skids off when you’re pulling hard on the lever you’ll hurt yourself somehow

When working right they do allow you to apply way more than “thumbs of steel” force to the bead but you have to follow the basics too – getting the bead down into the rim before you start shoving the last bit over the top

GavinB

Out of interest, how do those tools work with Maxle-type hubs? Do you have to bodge it to stop the bar slipping?

nickjb
    Free Member

I use the CB on on unicycles and that works OK. You just rest the arm against/behind the axle. Should work with a Maxle if there is a bit sticking out.

hammerite
    Free Member

I have the Crank Brothers one too. Fine on my MTB tyres, doesn’t work on road tyres. It also seems a bit flimsy.

I tend to stick to normal tyre levers now.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Looks good, but how does it work without a threaded axel?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtPRjMrcwFw[/video]

bigblackshed

It looks good in principle. But I can’t see that working with a proper tight tyre. And it’s a sure fire way to shred an inner tube.

I just learned to MTFU and train my thumbs to those of steel. 😉

Rscott
    Free Member
    Northwind

Someone always does this in tyre-changing threads, I’ve checked the rota and it’s my turn to be the dick.

Seriously? I use the same Lezyne power levers to change my dh tyres as I do for everything else. Till recently that meant Maxxis on Mavic (721 and 729) then for a little while it was a DT540s and an MTX33, now it’s Specialized and Maxxis on Flows. None of ’em put up a struggle.

scaredypants

yeah, well I changed molgrips’ car tyres by hand and I don’t even have opposable thumbs

Northwind

No doubt someone’ll be along to tell me I’m a cretin for needing to use levers at all. Or tyres. :mrgreen:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cyclo Tyre Tool – anyone used one?’ is closed to new replies.