• This topic has 102 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by LS.
Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Cyclo-cross Worlds next weekends, spoilers likely
  • SaxonRider

Where can I go online to watch the catch up?

I have ignored the rest of this thread so I don’t know the result.

scaredypants

… been some mistake – think they’re showing ice speedway 😯

ferrals
    Free Member

very different course today by the looks of things, all the ice melted and lots of standing water. U23 men’s race for second place was good, classic to see the spaniard wheelie over the line!

Roll on the elite mens now!

atlaz
    Free Member

Bloody horrible weather today. Going to be a mudfest

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bloody excellent.

What a total work ethic WvA has, un-bloody believable. But you gotta admire MvdP, took it as far until mechanicals ruined it, and KP too..never thought LvdH would loose that place but there you go.

WvA, just amazing bike handling skills.

scaredypants

shame about the puncture, though I think probably van Aert had a bit more on offer anyway – would’ve been nice to see a real head-to-head race for it

dovebiker

Awesome weekend of racing – best WCCX for a few years due to the quality of racing, only shaded by the last-lap duel of Stybar and Nys at Koksijde. Fantastic to have two great riders in MvdP and WvA riding together at the same time.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think Ian Field did well again too.. one day Ian will pull off a big one.

Marge
    Free Member

What a strange race….
    4 punctures for MvdP. 1 for WvA but right next to the pits.
    WvA was riding old tubes apparently on the advice from Niels Albert. Clearly very good choice.
    So much material damage though. Meeusen frame self destructed with 500m of the start. 3 of the top 10 crossed the finish with flat tyres and another 3 of the top 10 had to walk across the finish due to drivetrain issues.

Gutted for MvdP – he was interviewed on belgian TV full of tears 🙁

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Not that strange, lots of rocks under the snow and mud. Tubular’s are pretty fragile to rock strikes and impact punctures. Crashes on off cambers at speed tend to pull mechs off quickly.

WvA was running older Dugast tubs with the treads from Michelin Mud Clincher tyres glued to them. I used to have some sets when riding World Cups BITD. Not sure what lead him to select them as they were very draggy, but clearly they worked for him!

Marge
    Free Member

Not that strange? 1, 2 maybe even 3 flats isn’t strange but guys with 6 or 7?

Lars Boom ran out of spare wheels & had to stop.
    Laurens Sweek used all his spares so they fetched his brother’s kit from the van.

ferrals
    Free Member

Shame MVDP flatted just when it was getting interesting! Gutted for him. Think it would have gone all the way to the line otherwise and reckon he’d have got it.

Very exciting race again. Been a great w/e of racing.

Did Tom Meusen have a bad crash or did his bike just self destruct!? Must be awful, all that adrenaline and over within a minute. Nightmare!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Not that strange? 1, 2 maybe even 3 flats isn’t strange but guys with 6 or 7?

Lars Boom ran out of spare wheels & had to stop.
    Laurens Sweek used all his spares so they fetched his brother’s kit from the van.

Like I said, Highish speed decents, rocks coming up, edges from paving appearing through the mud = impact punctures for delicate tubs.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Chuffed to nuts for the U23 Spanish rider, cx is relatively new but pretty popular over there. This should encourage even more to get up early on a Sunday morning.
    A whole weekend of top racing and superb coverage.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Meusens bike broke at the headset, frame cracked.

There were a few over the weekend with one of the Women’s bike tearing the headstock out of the frame after a crash.

#buildquality

atlaz
    Free Member

Good race. Shitty commentary though, it seemed the commentator never spotted bike changes and kept talking about how van Aerts was reeling van der Poel in and then how he kept dropping him again. On top of that it was like he was just saying the first thing that was popping into his head about the race, saying variously how the race was over (almost the entire race) and how both van der Poel and van Aerts were both definitely going to win without even acknowledging that mechanicals decided the race.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Anybody know if MvdP crucial puncture was because he hit that concrete block at the bottom of the off-camber descent where he took the low line and VvA took the high line, or was it the puncture that caused him hit the block?

dovebiker

The reality is that CX has been a 2-rider affair this year, WvA and MvdP being head and shoulders above the rest and it would have been hard to see beyond either one of them. Managing your bike and tyres is a key part of CX and the fact that Wout only suffered 1 puncture vs Matt’s 3 obviously paid off. Ant McCrossan does annoy me by making out that the UCI WCs appear to be the only events when these guys have been racing pretty-well every weekend since September

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Highish speed decents, rocks coming up, edges from paving appearing through the mud = impact punctures for delicate tubs.

Stephen Hyde said on twitter that as the frost melted and it became muddier it exposed lots of small flinty rocks. They were putting higher pressures in the bikes/wheels they changed onto to eliminate pinch flats but were also getting cut sidewalls from rock edges, and all Hyde’s punctures (4?) were cut walls.

Ref the commentary, I have a lot of time for Ant McCrossan but as he has the UCI English feed gig that includes CX which he knows nothing about. Simon Burney was quite happy to completely but politely disagree with him though!

And per my earlier comments about not being a fan of Pidcock; his riding was a sheer masterclass, and seeing him hit with emotion after crossing the line and choking in the interview, I may have reconsidered.

The elite women’s race was awesome. The amount of screaming from Munqe Chick I’m amazed the neighbours didn’t call the police!

atlaz
    Free Member

it exposed lots of small flinty rocks.

I’d be willing to bet that whole area is brown-field recovery from the iron works so it could be more or less anything under there. The school is definitely on old factory land.

LS
    Free Member

We had a walk round the course after the racing had finished on Sunday and some sections of the mud were bright red so you may well be right!
    The runout section of the 2nd switchbacks had exposed a section of half-pipe with the edge facing the riders as they came down 😯 and there were still plenty of frozen sections under the mud. With big rocks everywhere alongside the concrete lips, it was basically bonkers.

Large sections were very difficult to walk never mind ride, the steepest drop was 45 degrees or more and rutted. The step run-up got steeper as it rose and the steps were just half-round fenceposts which gave next to no grip.

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Cyclo-cross Worlds next weekends, spoilers likely’ is closed to new replies.