Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Cyclo cross racing – how, where and what do i need?
  • Gooner
    Free Member

i went to temple newsam in leeds on sunday to watch some cyclo cross racing and i fancy having a go (pref near leeds) so where can i get some info? although i have a cross bike there were people racing on mtb's and bikes with disc brakes (i did nt think these were allowed in cross racing?)

what do i need to do – can i just turn up and pay my entry and give it a go?

what are the age groups and how long is each race?

whose tried it and what was it like?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Look on the bcf site for your nearest league races.
    As long as you dont enter the league race wot you brung.
    Junior,Under 23,Senior,vet40,vet45,vet45 etc.
    First season for me-read chipp's blog entry,sums it up beatifully.
    Oldgit or murman will be along in abit to elaborate.

oldgit
    Free Member

Just turn up (check on British cycling for EOL) pay the fee plus extra fee if you don't have a licence.
    You might find a novice race is going on on the day, but they're often shorter. Otherwise we all go off together, Juniors, seniors, vets and women
    Racing is an hour.
    You shouldn't find yourself with the front runners, and you might not get lapped if at all until halfway through, so you'll have plenty of time to find your feet.
    Then just go for it, you shouldn't get any hassle but remember to race and you'll enjoy it more.

oldgit
    Free Member

Actually it's so straightforward it's hard to elaborate really!

samuri
    Free Member

indeed. Turn up with a bike and a helmet and a little bit of money.

If you have to ask you'll never win so just do that and you'll be fine. No-one will mind.

meehaja
    Free Member

I was at TN on sunday, t'was a good course, plenty of woodland singletrack, not much playing fields (i was the guy all in black right at the back). CX is great as it really is just show up, ride as fast as you can and feel knackered at the end. Got battered on sunday, but normally I get into a bit of a battle with the back markers. For me, i know i'm never going to win, so my goal is to always over take the person in front of me, often i fail, but when i succede it means i've won "my race".

Ride anything you want, obviously a CX bike helps, but at local level anything can be ridden. Check out the yorkshire cyclocross site for the next local race, they tend to be more over halifax/hudds way. There's a very good summer series if you want to play in less cold weather… also, if you fancy a bit of a ride sometime let me know, I live in Bradford now, but leeds isn't far… i'm mostly riding SS CX this week to boost my strength since i've been off the bike all year practically, but I could put muddy tyres back on the Jake…

nonk
    Free Member

something you might have allready sussed out from the above commments is that in comparisson to you local mtb race it tends to be nails hard and fast.
    but as they say you will be welcome wether your fast or not.

samuri
    Free Member

And to answer your other question, they're usually an hour long. And it will be the hardest hour of your life if you do it properly.

crazy-legs

although i have a cross bike there were people racing on mtb's and bikes with disc brakes (i did nt think these were allowed in cross racing?)

They're not allowed in UCI races (ie National Series) but at local races pretty much anything goes although bar ends on MTBs are usually a no-no.
    Otherwise turn up with some money and your race kit and be prepared for an hour of the hardest fastest riding you've ever experienced!

The best thing about CX is it's so easy to get into, there's a really good atmosphere at the races, no attitude, no excuses about tyre pressures or suspension rebound or anything – you just get on and do it. Some people will be there for the win, some will be there for the training or just for fun. There's usually a decent coffee and bacon roll to be had afterwards as well.

Re the bike – strip it down to the bare minimum. You won't need to carry any food, drink or even spares – if you puncture you're pretty much out anyway.

Good luck, have fun!
    Info here: http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclocross

MikeWW
    Free Member

Had my first race on Sunday and although it is straightforward as others have said it is in my experience a little bit daunting at first(just because its all new and not that obvious).
    If you access the BCF site you can sort races by type and for your region.
    Have a look at the list and it will tell you whether you can enter on the day(or not)
    Pick one which you can enter on the day.
    Turn up in plenty of time so that you can ride the course and register(if its part of a league you may need to register for that on the day as well). Hand over some money in exchange for a number and you are nearly sorted.The race may get gridded(ie the top riders are called to the front) or it may be a free for all. After that it all gets fairly frantic and the more you have planned your way round the course the easier it is. Really good fun, very friendly and hard work.
    Good luck

samuri
    Free Member

Here you go, spot the odd one out.

Mountain bike – Check
    Baggies – Check
    Helmet Peak – Check
    Smiling – Check.

Dave
    Free Member

Is that Ben Elton?

nonk
    Free Member

thats possibly the best photo ever taken.lol

mocha
    Free Member

that is a very funny pic. 😀

Innes
    Free Member

Great photo.

I saw a cyclocross race the other week and some of them take it very seriously.

I like samuri's take on it.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Hey samuri – do you feature in Viz?

Absolutely classic pic – genuine LOL!

SSBonty
    Free Member

V funny pic samuri!

Last one I did was a 'first after Xmas, non league points scoring weird handicap thing) for the Lincolnshire league (somewhere there anyway). I was asked what cat I normally raced, Sport XC MTB, so I was somehow gridded on the front line despite having a singlespeed MTB? Course was fun, some farm track, rutted grass, singletrack, steep grassy climbs up to and descents off a reservoir edge, rolling sheep fields, ditches, etc. Weather was incredible – rain, sun, sleet, sun, clouds, hail, dramatic light, snow, so by the end there was about an inch of snow everywhere!

The result was somehow determined by your first lap time as a handicap, I somehow ended in a about 5th place but my fast first lap meant I was handicapped back to about 15th? No idea how it was worked out, but as everyone says it was an hour of flat out hurt, in a good way… Best bits were sliding past crossers doing two wheel drifts on the corners in the snow, and clearing the steep grassy run up sections every time (didn't see anyone else manage it after about the 4th lap) and usually regaining one or two places I lost through spinning out on the farm tracks.. Slightly mad, but just fun really 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

You look like a streaker, but with clothes on ❓

Coleman
    Free Member

SSBonty – Big Respect!

Single speed mountain biker, two wheel drifting round corners, only manages 5th place after spinning out on flat bits, in local cross race.

Yeah right!

SSBonty
    Free Member

Coleman – ? Was just trying to make the point it was fun, not intimidating, cross bike not needed and an MTB actually an advantage in some places, SS likewise but with obvious minuses on the flatter faster bits… The tea and cakes afterwards was in a cow shed too 🙂

Leigh
    Free Member

SS Bonty i will dig out the results for you when i get home got them and all the pictures from the event on my home pc

SSBonty
    Free Member

Yikes didn't realise this was so controversial! Looking at my pics I think the date was 28th Dec 2005 (which is way longer ago than I thought, but this thread has reawakened my cross racing interest and encouraged me to look up the local league here in Helsinki). Presumably the results only show the handicapped positions though? If I can remember how to post pics I'll do the same…

SSBonty
    Free Member

OK – pics up not sure if this will work:

Click pic for the full photostory special!

I voluntarily started on the second row (white jersey blue helmet) as I thought the fast boys would pass me anyway on the spinny farm track. I passed at least 2 of the 3 other guys on my row of 4, no-one from behind passed me, I don't think I passed anyone from the front row, so I made it 5th or possibly 6th. And then the handicap thing (first lap time?) demoted me back as I didn't know how it worked (slow first lap then cane it does the trick!).

Leigh if you have the results that'd be cool.

SSBonty
    Free Member

And not that I'm defending myself against character assassination by Coleman or 'owt 🙂 I also got 5th at the student BUSA cycloX champs that year on the same SS bike. It's doable you just have to spin like a loon at points and make the most of the muddy/techy/hilly bits to regain places…

Leigh
    Free Member

i forgot to look when i was at home, will look tomorrow. may have the standard results and the handicap results i have got both for the last couple of years on my laptop but think the ones before are on my home pc

firestarter
    Free Member

martin these lot (link below) organised the one in tempsy today mate. they have a section of cx riders with the barnes family taking most things lol they do eve training at smeaton high as well so only two mins ride from your house mate . im a member of the club but havent been for a while for various reasons and excuses lol. good friendly bunch tho. they do road/timetrial/cx stuff

Welcome to Seacroft Wheelers

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Cyclo cross racing – how, where and what do i need?’ is closed to new replies.