• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cyclo Cross Racing
  • Jaybee1978
    Free Member

How does cross racing differ from XC racing? For example do you have feed/technical zones or not? Do you do a practice lap/pre ride the course etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Cross is a very different animal from XC racing.

Races are 1 hr long but flat out the whole time, courses are short at around 6 mins a lap. Some races have a pit where you are allowed to change bikes, wheels and for mechanical assistance, some don’t in which case you can change wherever you like. Bottles are NOT allowed to be handed up, you can take one with you but none to be passed up during the race as it can cause accidents in the pits (this rule gets eased if it’s hot though sometimes)

Course is usually open for practice inbetween races and it’s usual/recommended to do at least one practice lap to get to grips with the course/find lines/set up equipment.

Cross is more like a road crit sometimes if it’s dry but it’s a great, cheap way into competetive bike racing, you can use any bike you like (other than in UCI ranked races) enter on the day (around £10) and it’s usually a very friendly atmosphere. check out the British cycling website for most of the info you need.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Hi, Yes some of the larger races have pit zones where you can fix or even swap bikes and the fast guys even have helpers to clean and fix bikes for the next lap within these zones. Smaller races are the same but but seem to be less strict so you could swap a bike or get a drink almost antwhere on the course.
    Give it a go and find out for yourself.
    Ben

Clink

Also have wooden barriers in sections which have to be dismounted for. Theres a whole technique in that which is not as difficult as it looks – just needs practise! I did a few races last season having never raced in my life – I loved it! Relaxed atmosphere and hard work. SW Series even had races for kids so my girls had a go. Recommended.

samuri
    Free Member

just in case you missed it, if you’re thinking of trying to to do well…

but flat out the whole time

you will never race harder than at a cross race, the pace is astounding. It is good fun though, recommended.

Harry_the_Spider

A few of us off here staged a 2 hour CX/MTB race (HtN 1.5) on a 3 ½ mile track (20 mins for the quick guys) in February and it went down a storm. It was organised in conjunction with British Cycling’s “Everyday Cycling” scheme which basically allows you to do anything (within reason) but it doesn’t count towards any rankings. We’re doing it again next February with the mother of all CX/MTB cross over events in July 2010 on a 5 or 6 mile track for 8-10 hours for solo, pairs or teams.

Quite a few blog entries from Alans Bikes, Cross Junky and others. Google for more info.

terrahawk
    Free Member

We’ll also have a few musical turns and a fire-eating catering lady.
    Endurance cross racing is the future.

Jaybee1978
    Free Member

Thanks for the information. Going to give it a go.

crikey
    Free Member

Been there, done that, worn the pink skinsuit to represent the north-west, been beaten by miles by Roger Hammond…

Cross is all about a fast start, then hanging on for dear life, and, as noted, being slick over the obstacles.

Great sport.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

cross is an hour of balls out racing..baisically endurence cross isn’t cross,the lap at 5 miles would be alot too far.
    other than that.good principle,cross is my favourite disipline and anyone should give it a go.

Harry_the_Spider

…but you can do it as part of a team. One lap on, 3 laps off.

It won’t be a standard cross race, but the last was wasn’t either and that sold out. It’ll be a race for any sort of bike where some sections will suit cross bikes and some MTB. We actually staged the last race partly as a result of some moaning becasue we wouldn’t allow CX bikes in the first one.

http://crossjunkie.blogspot.com/2009/02/winter-sprinter-bites-back.html

http://alans-bikes.blogspot.com/2009/02/north-hit-winter-sprinted.html

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/mtb/EventReports2009/20090210_hit_the_north_report.asp

dobo
    Free Member

what catagories do they have? especially for a first timer not on a cx bike? or do you get thrown in with the lions?

crazy-legs

Catergories are usually just “Open” and “Elite” plus age cats of U14, U16, U18. There’s always a U12 race too which is free (it’s in the rules that every CX must have the kids races with U12s free) so it’s great for the family. Simple, cheap (about £10) and as mentioned it is flat out. If you can breathe, you’re not trying hard enough! 😉
    That said it’s great fun, really sociable and best of all the races last an hour or so, you have a brew and bacon sarnie afterwards then head home leaving you the rest of the day to recover/do the normal weekend tasks etc.

dobo
    Free Member

thanks, i bottled it last year as i dont have a cx bike and some other nonsense excuses but this year can’t wait, its going to get messy 🙂 (still dont have a cx bike)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cyclo Cross Racing’ is closed to new replies.