Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Cyclo Cross or Road Bike
  • GrahamS

Yep very nice. I took a look at the Vayas before going for the Rose.
    Sweet bikes but spendy

I see Orange have a nice looking CX bike coming out too:

http://road.cc/content/news/81684-orange-rx9-video-trailer-points-imminent-release

andytherocketeer

Jack of all trades master of none for me. I’d have one if I had dozens of bikes, but not in place of a road bike

Conversely I have mine because I don’t have room for a dozen bikes

And mine is because I don’t care about the road bike mastering the fast race end of the road spectrum, but CX allows me to go on the seriously extensive array of bike paths which tend to be packed gravel. And the XC MTB is more than overkill for that.

I don’t go out with a road/trail mindset. It’s all fair game. CX bike for longer rides on or off road or both or road and have the option to cut off down any old trail whenever I feel like it. XC bike for techier rides that are largely off road, steeper, etc.

Tempted to get 2nd set of wheels (same rim type, so don’t need to worry about adjusting brakes), with 25 or 28c road tyres, though for a bit more road oriented distance rides. If I get bored of the traffic, it’ll only cost me 2 new tyres to go back to CX only with a spare set of wheels.

clubber
    Free Member

I have plenty of room for lots of bikes 🙂

I love my cross bike. With cx tyres, it’s a great bike for mixed rides – offroad bridleways (usually) with road links which would be boring on an mtb or not possible on a road bike.

With road tyres on, it’s really barely any slower than my ‘proper’ road bike (though the proper road bike does ‘feel’ faster) as evidenced by a few audaxs/sportives where it’s certainly not held me up. If I’m going to do a long road ride though, I do flip the stem to get a more roadie position.

GrahamS

Tempted to get 2nd set of wheels (same rim type, so don’t need to worry about adjusting brakes), with 25 or 28c road tyres

Just keep an eye on tyre/rim compatibility if you are putting road tyres on CX rims.

I’ve got Mavic CrossRide rims which are 622x19C so minimum recommended tyre width is 28c

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

andytherocketeer

Mavic Open Pros. Not a problem for the road tyres, but is actually the CX tyres that are larger than recommended for the rim.

clubber
    Free Member

CX tyres are fine on an open pro.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

Hi Charlie, do you have any plans to sell the warbird in your shop anytime soon?

tonyd

I could actually see myself entering a cross race, where as a road race….no….

Famous last words.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Cyclo Cross or Road Bike’ is closed to new replies.